Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't delete .LCK files - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

I am having a huge problem with .LCK files. I thought that these could only be generated in Contribute, but suddenly several of the directories in my Dreamweaver site are creating them, and I am completely unable to delete them, or update the corresponding .cfm pages. I have tried deleting them off the server directly with no effect. Every time I try to upload changes to a page it creates this ..LCK file, and none of the changes are saved-- on the server OR in Dreamweaver! Can someone please help me with this, I am totally at a loss. Thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default Can't delete .LCK files

    wildwatermelon12@yahoo.com Guest

  2. #2

    I am having a huge problem with .LCK files. I thought that these could only be
    generated in Contribute, but suddenly several of the directories in my
    Dreamweaver site are creating them, and I am completely unable to delete them,
    or update the corresponding .cfm ages. I have tried deleting them off the
    server directly with no effect. Every time I try to upload changes to a page it
    creates this .LCK file, and none of the changes are saved-- on the server OR in
    Dreamweaver! Can someone please help me with this, I am totally at a loss.
    Thanks!

    semi star gazer Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Can't delete .LCK files

    Turn off the check-in/check-out feature in Dreamweaver. If you launch into
    Dreamweaver from Contribute and that is turned on, you'll get .lck files for
    that page and every page or image that page links to. (I once got thousands).
    To get rid of your .lck files, remove them from the site (just use the folder
    structure, don't go through Contribute) and go to C:/Doents and
    Settings/your id/Local Settings/Application Data/Macromedia/Contribute 3/ and
    delete everything there. Also check _mm and MMWIP at the root of your site to
    see if there are .lck files there.

    I think that's everything--it's been a while and I forgot to doent the
    procedure.

    abna Guest

  5. #5

    I also have this same problem using a trial version of Contribute 4 on mac os
    10.3.9
    I'm surprised there are still no responses to this urgent problem and I'm
    discouraged, having ordered a boxed CD!

    Is it maybe possible if one uses a full registered version of the software?

    Any comments gratefully received.
    :frown;:confused;

    cinecymru Guest

  6. #6

    I just ended up having to reinstall Macromedia Suite... I think it was actually
    a Dreamweaver problem ultimately, because I had never even opened Contribute on
    this machine! It might have happened because of a program crash and something
    got checked in/out improperly. Good luck!

    semi star gazer Guest

  8. #8

    Dreamweaver will create .LCK files if you have it set to use Check In / Check
    Out, so does indeed sound like some kind of checkin/out mess up.

    Also handy tip: in Contribute you can often clear a .LCK - if you go to a page
    which is "locked" there'll be a message at the top with a link to click to let
    you edit the page. Clicking that removes the .LCK on the page.

    SDennis Guest

  9. #9

    This page shows a simple and very fast way to remove all .LCK files from a Dreamweaver website. This method is for sites running on an Apache server, and must be implemented as a shell command on the server (see remote sessions for more info).

    Step 1: Login with a shell prompt, then navigate to your web directly (most likely a folder named public_html or www). For example:

    cd /path_to/username/public_html

    Step 2: Execute the following command:

    find . -name "*.LCK" -exec rm {} \;

    Be warned:

    * Executing this type of command is very dangerous if you get it wrong! You should only attempt this if you are confident about what you are doing. MediaCollege.com assumes no responsibility if you accidentally delete half your website.
    * This is final and not undo-able! However if you change your mind later it's probably not a big deal unless you have a lot of different people collaborating on the site. Simply synchronize your site from within Dreamweaver and new LCK files will be created.
    Unregistered Guest