Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't edit a page because I'm already editing it onanother computer?? - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Hi, I recently upgraded to Contribute 4.0, but I encountered a problem today when I tried to update a page on our website. I received an error message that I can't edit this page now because I'm editing it on another computer, which is impossible. No one else is logged in, so I don't know how this could be. I am able to make changes to other pages on the website, but not this one in particular. Any idea what may be triggering this? Any help/guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Keep it simple...I'm a beginner. Thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default Can't edit a page because I'm already editing it onanother computer??

    Hi,

    I recently upgraded to Contribute 4.0, but I encountered a problem today when
    I tried to update a page on our website.

    I received an error message that I can't edit this page now because I'm
    editing it on another computer, which is impossible. No one else is logged in,
    so I don't know how this could be. I am able to make changes to other pages on
    the website, but not this one in particular.

    Any idea what may be triggering this? Any help/guidance you can provide would
    be greatly appreciated! Keep it simple...I'm a beginner.

    Thanks!

    workhardbenice Guest

  2. #2

    Hi,

    Browse to the folder on the server, where the page you are trying to edit is
    available. See if there is any <filename>.lck file available. If so delete the
    same. Now you should be able to edit the page.

    Hope this helps.
    Sudharshan

    Sudharshan.S Guest

  3. #3

    I have the same problem... still not resolved the issue though. Not sure if you can view the thread there is lots of advice ....perhaps you can click on my username to view the thread!

    Goodluck!
    mbarrand Guest

  4. #4

    I am having this same problem. Contribute CS3 v4.1

    Before I check out the file, there is no lock. When I click checkout, it
    creates a lock and then tells me "you can't edit this page now because you are
    already editing it on another computer. Click here to make this page editable."
    When I click on that, I get a dialog box asking if I'm sure I want to remove
    the lock. If I say "Yes", it removes the lock, and the page is no longer
    editable. I am back to square 1.

    If I delete the lock, it just makes a new one when I click on edit this page.

    I can edit / checkout via Dreamweaver just fine. This seems to be a Contribute
    deal. It's almost like it's making the lock first, then trying to get the file,
    but whoa-- it's locked.

    toddeverett Guest

  5. #5

    Check for LCK files on the local computer, too: [url]http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_16657&sliceId=1[/url]
    delaneypub Guest

  6. #6

    Has there been a solution to toddeverett's problem? I'm experiencing the same
    thing.

    I browse to a page which is not being edited (I've checked server & local
    folders for .LCK files) and click edit. It blinks like it's about to work,
    creates a local and server .LCK file, but then says I can't edit the page
    because I'm already editing it on another computer.

    This only happens for one file on our site (unfortunately, the site homepage.)
    Is there anything I can look for in the templates that might be triggering
    this problem?

    Thanks.

    ben_bloom Guest

  7. #7

    I could be wrong, but I think this issue may relate to the web server. I
    realise now that when we had major problems with this issue it was only
    apparent on one site where we hosted on a different sever, the ten or so other
    contribute sites we managed were all on the same server platform.

    So it might be worth uploading the site to a another server to check to see if
    its an issue caused my the web server somehow.

    Hope this helps!

    Matthew Barrand Guest

  8. #8

    Matthew,

    Thanks, but we're hosting this internally. We're using Contribute to enable
    employees to contribute to our Intranet.

    I believe it used to work, though for the last 2 years, two of us have been
    responsible for this page and we're both using Dreamweaver.

    -Ben

    ben_bloom Guest