Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't edit pages - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I have a client who is new to Contribute and is using the demo of C3. She has administrator-level privileges and can browse all of the pages in her site. When she clicks on Edit, only some of the pages are editable. From what she tells me, it seems C3 is not fully reaching Edit mode. After 'creating draft' she still seems to be in the browser. None of the pages are restricted in any way or checked out. The site has been previously edited using C2....

  1. #1

    Default Can't edit pages

    I have a client who is new to Contribute and is using the demo of C3. She has
    administrator-level privileges and can browse all of the pages in her site.
    When she clicks on Edit, only some of the pages are editable. From what she
    tells me, it seems C3 is not fully reaching Edit mode. After 'creating draft'
    she still seems to be in the browser. None of the pages are restricted in any
    way or checked out. The site has been previously edited using C2.

    jefflamonica Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't edit pages

    Hi, This could be caused by something in her machine. See if these steps
    (could get rid of corrupt files) will solve the trouble: -Remove the
    connection and recreate it. -Delete the Contribute configuration folder. See
    this TechNote to find out its location: [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/16657[/url]
    Hope this helps.

    allanrayg - mmts Guest

  3. #3

    Allan -

    Thanks for your reply in March. That user gave up on Contribute, but I have
    another on C2.01 on Windows 2000 that has the same problem. Removed the
    connection and recreated it manually. Didn't help. Removed the Configuration
    folder from the Contribute folder. The application said it could not find the
    resource file and to reinstall the application. So we put the Configuration
    folder back. I have made sure all of her files are checked in and unlocked.
    Does Macromedia Tech Support have any other ideas? In looking at the forums, it
    seems we're not the only ones experiencing this problem.

    Your help is appreciated.
    Jeff

    jefflamonica Guest

  4. #4

    Hi,

    In addition to the configuration folder, please delete the 'sites' folder as well. Again, this folder
    allanrayg - mmts Guest

  5. #5

    Allan -

    From my client:
    Uninstalled; reinstalled
    Deleted sites folder
    Deleted configurations folders
    Uninstalled; reinstalled
    Rebooted

    Still nothing :(

    Going to try it on another computer.

    Any other ideas?

    jefflamonica Guest

  6. #6

    We found a fix for this problem, Macromedia Tech Support may want to know this
    and communicate it to the forum for those with similar problems.

    Jeff

    To fix the Contribute issue, I deleted the connection to the site and all of
    the Contribute folders out on the site. These folders are _mm, _notes, and
    _baks. This has to be done through FTP, not Contribute. I then recreated the
    connection and set the site up again.

    jefflamonica Guest

  7. #7

    I am getting a banner on one of my pages that says: "[Warning sign] You can't
    edit this page now because <dtplaplaza.org> is currently editing it. Please
    contact <dtplaplaza.org> for assistance."

    I am <dtplaplaza.org> and I am not currently editing it as far as I know.
    What can I do?
    Donna

    DreamTree Project Guest

  8. #8

    had a new machine recently?

    A DW user of ours had to do this and on the reinstall DW saw the similar
    thing, because he no longer had a copy of the file locally it was seeing him as
    a new user and the files were therefore checked out to someone else (not him).

    If you remove the check on the webserver that there are no lck files.

    I have read of users who use frames that because they had the main frame page
    checked out to them it was seeing all sub frames as being checked out to them
    too.

    LDudd Guest

  9. #9

    This worked for me!!!! Thanks!
    duckster Guest

  10. #10

    I am getting the exact same problem. I set up a client to use Contribute, and
    they are finding they cannot edit any pages because Contribute thinks I am
    editing them (which I'm not). There are no .LCK files on the site and I have
    removed myself entirely from Contribute but it still says I am editing.

    I am now recreating the connection key and will ask my client to remove their
    connection and reconnect.

    jeremyschultzwdm Guest

  11. #11

    Me too,

    C3 keeps telling my client they can't edit the page cause i am supposedly
    editting it.... Which i'm NOT.
    does anyone found a solution?? i deleted all LCK files... but no luck

    ralph

    "jeremyschultzwdm" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    >I am getting the exact same problem. I set up a client to use Contribute,
    >and
    > they are finding they cannot edit any pages because Contribute thinks I am
    > editing them (which I'm not). There are no .LCK files on the site and I
    > have
    > removed myself entirely from Contribute but it still says I am editing.
    >
    > I am now recreating the connection key and will ask my client to remove
    > their
    > connection and reconnect.

    Ralph de Groot Guest

  12. #12

    My client and I figured this one out some time ago. I hadn't realized
    Dreamweaver kept the files checked out after I had uploaded them, which meant
    the other users in Contribute couldn't edit them. I checked them back in and
    everything worked fine after that.

    Jeremy

    jeremyschultzwdm Guest

  13. #13

    When my client tries to open certain pages she gets a message saying that I'm
    logged on and already editing that page. It's not always the same page. I don't
    have Contribute launched. We have both tried restarting our computers but that
    doesn't help. Anybody have a suggestion?

    dlipscombe Guest

  14. #14

    When my client tries to open certain pages she gets a message saying that I'm
    logged on and already editing that page. It's not always the same page. I don't
    have Contribute launched. We have both tried restarting our computers but that
    doesn't help. Anybody have a suggestion? :mad;

    dlipscombe Guest

  15. #15

    You dont have Contribute launched but you are using dreamweaver for that
    website.

    Go to manage sites > click on edit > remote info > Enable file check in and
    check out > fill the information.

    and then check out the whole website (right click on site under files and then
    click on check out)

    gx280 Guest

  16. #16

    [q]Originally posted by: dlipscombe
    When my client tries to open certain pages she gets a message saying that I'm
    logged on and already editing that page. It's not always the same page. I don't
    have Contribute launched. We have both tried restarting our computers but that
    doesn't help. Anybody have a suggestion? :mad;[/q]

    I have exactly the same problem! Please help if you can! I have emailed my
    server who suggested to change the password to access my website. I have done
    it and still cannot access 2 of the 3 pages. I have sent another mail to my
    server and I am now searching this site. If you know anything, please help a
    lady in distress!

    Piloumons Guest

  17. #17

    I found my problem. I had set up a test site in the same folder as my business
    web site. It was causing a conflict. Once I moved the customer site to the
    server the problem went away.
    You may try setting up a new site key.

    dlipscombe Guest

  18. #18

    Contribute uses the same check in-check out mechanism that Macromedia
    introduced with Dreamweaver.

    When you begin editing a file in Contribute, you will find that a file of the
    same name is created in that directory with an added extension of LCK.

    This file contains the name and username of the person who is editing the
    file. If this page was sent as a draft to another user the text of the lock
    file will contain the line "Macromedia Contribute".

    The main way that would see a message indicating that you have an edit in
    process for a page that is not in your draft console is that you started
    editing the file on one computer then switched to another computer later. The
    drafts for Contribute that have not been sent for review to another user on the
    system are stored locally on the computer that they were created on.

    If you find yourself in a situation where you need to regularly use different
    computers what you need to do when switching machines is to either:

    1) publish the draft, even if it is unfinished; or
    2) send the draft for review to yourself.

    If you send it to yourself for review, when you login to CPS on a different
    client machine the draft will be downloaded to your computer and show up for
    continued editing in your draft console.

    arfore Guest