Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't figure out ISO 9660 and new boombox - Mac Applications & Software

I bought a JVC RC-BM5 boombox for several reasons, but not the least of which was its purported MP3 playback capabilities. So I just tried burning a CD-R with MP3's using Toast 5.2 and popped it in the box. Everything followed according to instructions; I selected my track and started to play it. The LCD indicated that it was playing, how much time had elapsed, etc. Only trouble was that no sound was coming out of the machine. So I popped in a CD-R, same burn specs except an audio disk copy, and it played just fine. After scratching my ...

  1. #1

    Default Can't figure out ISO 9660 and new boombox

    I bought a JVC RC-BM5 boombox for several reasons, but not the least of
    which was its purported MP3 playback capabilities. So I just tried
    burning a CD-R with MP3's using Toast 5.2 and popped it in the box.
    Everything followed according to instructions; I selected my track and
    started to play it. The LCD indicated that it was playing, how much
    time had elapsed, etc. Only trouble was that no sound was coming out of
    the machine. So I popped in a CD-R, same burn specs except an audio
    disk copy, and it played just fine. After scratching my bald spot for a
    while, I pulled out the JVC manual and read the fine print.

    MP3 formats supported on this unit: ISO 9660 format – 17 characters
    max. Then followed at lot of maxes and mins, all of which where
    compatible to the best of my knowledge with the originally extracted
    MP3's.

    I had burned the MP3's in data format as a Mac OS extended PC hybrid CD,
    so I figured this was the problem – incompatible format with the
    boombox. So after checking out the Toast help a little, I went to
    "Other", toggled the ISO 9960 format in the "other", popped in my blank
    700 MB CD-R, and then dragged 600 MB (30 files) of MP3's to the window.
    After a while they all appeared ready for burning, except I noticed that
    the top selector in the Toast window had jumped by itself to audio. I
    shrugged and tried to burn, but got an error message that there was not
    enough room. After fiddling around for a while, I realized that Toast
    was trying to burn these MP3's to the size of their original files
    (maybe converting them to AIFF?), and I was only going to get two on at
    a time.

    So I am stuck. How can I burn my MP3 files in an ISO 9660 format so I
    can get my MP3 compression and use my new boombox's purported MP3
    capabilities.

    TIA

    --
    Paul Fuchs
    paulfuchs-at-attglobal-dot-net

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't figure out ISO 9660 and new boombox

    Paul Fuchs <oink> wrote:

    Next time, don't shrug. You don't want a music CD. You want a data CD,
    and in particular you want an ISO 9660 data CD. In my version of Toast,
    you'd choose ISO 9660 format and make sure "Naming" is set to Level 1 or
    MS-DOS. The manual is very helpful here. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    matt Guest

  3. #3

    matt neuburg <com> wrote:

    > Next time, don't shrug. You don't want a music CD. You want a data CD,
    > and in particular you want an ISO 9660 data CD. In my version of Toast,
    > you'd choose ISO 9660 format and make sure "Naming" is set to Level 1 or
    > MS-DOS. The manual is very helpful here. m.[/ref]

    I dug through piles of stuff and finally came up with the Toast manual.
    This got me through the first part of my problem. Burned the ISO 9660
    format CD now with no problem. Used the most "primitive" settings I
    could, including level 1, MS DOS names only ect. Also tried several
    other settings.

    Still the problem remains with the boombox. Reads the CD just fine
    vis-a-vis file names and plays them just fine vis-a-vis the LCD, but no
    sound out of the box. Would assume it's defective, except everything
    else seems to work just fine. Probably should call JVC only I can just
    see their their service rep saying "What's a Mac?"

  4. #4

    Paul Fuchs <oink> wrote:

    > > Next time, don't shrug. You don't want a music CD. You want a data CD,
    > > and in particular you want an ISO 9660 data CD. In my version of Toast,
    > > you'd choose ISO 9660 format and make sure "Naming" is set to Level 1 or
    > > MS-DOS. The manual is very helpful here. m.[/ref]
    >
    > I dug through piles of stuff and finally came up with the Toast manual.
    > This got me through the first part of my problem. Burned the ISO 9660
    > format CD now with no problem. Used the most "primitive" settings I
    > could, including level 1, MS DOS names only ect. Also tried several
    > other settings.
    >
    > Still the problem remains with the boombox. Reads the CD just fine
    > vis-a-vis file names and plays them just fine vis-a-vis the LCD, but no
    > sound out of the box. Would assume it's defective, except everything
    > else seems to work just fine. Probably should call JVC only I can just
    > see their their service rep saying "What's a Mac?"[/ref]

    You don't have to mention Mac. You have an MP3 CD - there is nothing
    special about it (it could equally well have come from a PC). If the
    machine claims to play MP3s and doesn't, send it back. There are lots of
    great CD/MP3 players out there. Get a Phillips (and never give your
    money to JVC again) and you'll be happy. m.