Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't get to internet... - Mac Networking

I have a 15" iMac running 10.3.3. I have a (non-Extreme) AirPort card. We have a Linksys BEFW11S4 which is connected to our cable modem and my husband's PC. When I first set up my iMac I didn't have to do a thing to configure the network -- it found the Linksys right away. It's worked fine for ages, but the other day, although my AirPort connection to the network was strong, I found I couldn't get out to the 'net -- web, mail, vpn, ssh -- pretty much tried everything I had. I learned the next day that Road ...

  1. #1

    Default Can't get to internet...

    I have a 15" iMac running 10.3.3. I have a (non-Extreme) AirPort card.
    We have a Linksys BEFW11S4 which is connected to our cable modem and my
    husband's PC.

    When I first set up my iMac I didn't have to do a thing to configure the
    network -- it found the Linksys right away.

    It's worked fine for ages, but the other day, although my AirPort
    connection to the network was strong, I found I couldn't get out to the
    'net -- web, mail, vpn, ssh -- pretty much tried everything I had.

    I learned the next day that Road Runner had been having some system
    outages and chalked it up to that, but the problem persists.

    When I checked my network list, I noticed that a network other than ours
    was showing up. I checked with my immediate neighbor, and he's not
    running wireless, nor is anyone else in our building of 6 apartments.
    Other homes are across the street and behind ours on the next block.

    The mystery network is password-protected and doesn't show up all the
    time but, still, would it supersede my own network? My husband doesn't
    think he's changed anything on his machine that would have an impact on
    my access. He's been running Kerio firewall, plus what ever firewall
    capabilities the router has, but this problem hasn't manifested itself
    before.

    I'm pretty uninformed about how all this works -- since it did, for so
    long, with no intervention from me -- so I'd appreciate any help
    troubleshooting this. Thanks!

    -- Katheryne Doughty

    Katheryne Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't get to internet...

    In article <c56h1h$4cp$oit.duke.edu>,
    Katheryne Doughty <edu> wrote:

    Try going in to "System Preferences -> Network"

    Click on Airport

    Click on "By default, join".

    Enter your own WiFi's SSID name.

    I had this problem myself. I have 2 WiFi access points in my house, and
    just after Christmas 2 neighbors got WiFi as presents and the next thing
    I knew I was connecting to their system and not my own. I was closer
    and stronger, but it choose the weaker signal from across the street
    over my own 2 access points.

    If you can not connect to your own WiFi access points, then consider
    that maybe the new WiFi access point is either using the same channel as
    you, or the channel they choose is very close to the channel your WiFi
    is using (802.11 WiFi channels overlap about 2 and a half channels on
    either side of the channel you are using. So if nothing else works, try
    changing the channel you are using to something else.

    Also go to http://versiontracker/macosx and download MacStumbler and
    APgrapher. These are 2 tools that will help you with seeing other
    access points and the strength of signals.

    Good luck.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, Bob. We made sure the settings were okay, changed the
    channel and just rebooted/restarted everything. I wasn't showing up
    as a DHCP client on the router's list, but now am. Downloaded the
    suggested apps, which will be handy. Tried to set a wireless
    password, but the linksys isn't going for that. We'll try again
    later, I guess. Thanks again! -- Katheryne

    Bob Harris wrote:

    > Try going in to "System Preferences -> Network"
    >
    > Click on Airport
    >
    > Click on "By default, join".
    >
    > Enter your own WiFi's SSID name.
    >
    > I had this problem myself. I have 2 WiFi access points in my house, and
    > just after Christmas 2 neighbors got WiFi as presents and the next thing
    > I knew I was connecting to their system and not my own. I was closer
    > and stronger, but it choose the weaker signal from across the street
    > over my own 2 access points.
    >
    > If you can not connect to your own WiFi access points, then consider
    > that maybe the new WiFi access point is either using the same channel as
    > you, or the channel they choose is very close to the channel your WiFi
    > is using (802.11 WiFi channels overlap about 2 and a half channels on
    > either side of the channel you are using. So if nothing else works, try
    > changing the channel you are using to something else.
    >
    > Also go to http://versiontracker/macosx and download MacStumbler and
    > APgrapher. These are 2 tools that will help you with seeing other
    > access points and the strength of signals.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Bob Harris[/ref]
    Katheryne Guest

  4. #4

    In article <h6fec.6362$southeast.rr.com>,
    Katheryne Doughty <rr.com> wrote:

    Be aware that you have to use the hexidecimal key values. You can not
    use a text WEP password.

    If you have trouble entering it in Mac OS X, try the following:
    o Prefixing the hexidecimal password with a $
    o Prefixing the hexidecimal password with 0x
    o Try entering your password in the "Internet Connect" application
    found in the Applications folder.

    Bob Harris

    > > Try going in to "System Preferences -> Network"
    > >
    > > Click on Airport
    > >
    > > Click on "By default, join".
    > >
    > > Enter your own WiFi's SSID name.
    > >
    > > I had this problem myself. I have 2 WiFi access points in my house, and
    > > just after Christmas 2 neighbors got WiFi as presents and the next thing
    > > I knew I was connecting to their system and not my own. I was closer
    > > and stronger, but it choose the weaker signal from across the street
    > > over my own 2 access points.
    > >
    > > If you can not connect to your own WiFi access points, then consider
    > > that maybe the new WiFi access point is either using the same channel as
    > > you, or the channel they choose is very close to the channel your WiFi
    > > is using (802.11 WiFi channels overlap about 2 and a half channels on
    > > either side of the channel you are using. So if nothing else works, try
    > > changing the channel you are using to something else.
    > >
    > > Also go to http://versiontracker/macosx and download MacStumbler and
    > > APgrapher. These are 2 tools that will help you with seeing other
    > > access points and the strength of signals.
    > >
    > > Good luck.
    > >
    > > Bob Harris[/ref][/ref]
    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    Bob Harris <dec.com> wrote in message news:<cac.cpqcorp.net>... [/ref][/ref]

    In future, you might wish to try a program called TELNET.

    I once had a problem with the 5-bit variety, but the 8-bit telenet is
    fine. It's a Free program that is worth having.

    Telnet is built-inside to many apps.

    B.
     [/ref][/ref]

    Sorry, can't help with that.

    --
    Overheard in an elevator: "And then he bought a Lamborghini Countache,
    and axed UMA THURMAN for a date, and regretably wrapped his car around

  6. #6

    Thanks, but I use SSH over Telnet.

    Britannicus wrote:

    Katheryne Guest