Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't install 9.2.2 update - Mac Applications & Software

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Steve Ball wrote:  You can get OS 9 in different languages, the one on the iMac doesn't match the update you downloaded. From your email address i'd guess that you need the International English version of the updater (as opposed to the North American one). Fred...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Can't install 9.2.2 update

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Steve Ball wrote:
    You can get OS 9 in different languages, the one on the iMac doesn't match
    the update you downloaded. From your email address i'd guess that you need
    the International English version of the updater (as opposed to the North
    American one).

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  2. #2

    Hi Steve,

    First of all, make sure to have img or smi files instead of dmg
    files. All the original downloads are available as .smi or .img
    files. I haven't found any System 9 update files in dmg format
    on Apple website.

    Your Mac is capable of using MacOS 9.2.2, but I have been unable
    to find my localized version (Dutch) on Apple's web site.
    Fortunately, I downloaded it earlier.

    If you want to update from 9.0.4 to 9.2.2, you have to use all
    the update files. First you update to 9.1, then 9.2.1, and
    finally, if you can find it, to 9.2.2.

    You may have to update firmware as well, during the process. So,
    make sure that you have the latest firmware available. Probably,
    this should be version 4.1.9. (You also may have to install the
    iMac CD update 2.0, but it is possible that this is installed
    automatically with MacOS 9.2.x.)

    Best

    Mark

    Steve Ball wrote:

    --

    eHUG coordinator
    http://home.wanadoo.nl/mark.sch

    Contribute to HyperCardParis
    http://home.wanadoo.nl/mark.sch/contr.html
    Mark Guest

  3. #3

    Mark Schonewille said:

    Thanks, you're right. They're .smi files.

    Yeah, I realised that which is why I downloaded them all. however, on the
    day I did it the International English versions of 9.2.1 wouldn't download
    so I downloaded the US English which is why my International English 9.2.2
    updater won't run.

    Thanks. I'm wondering if I can install the International English 9.2.1
    updater (the link isd now working) over the US English 9.2.1 OS I installed.
    If no, I somehow have to get back to 9.1 and I I doubt the 9.1 updater will
    run on 9.2.1 (if would be a 'downdate').

    Anybody know?

    Thanks in advance,
    Steve = : ^ )
     [/ref]

    --
    Not my real email address of course but true all the same. Reply to
    steveb.bigpondnetau swapping the "." and the ""s.

    Steve Guest

  4. #4

    Frederick Cheung said:

    > You can get OS 9 in different languages, the one on the iMac doesn't match
    > the update you downloaded. From your email address i'd guess that you need
    > the International English version of the updater (as opposed to the North
    > American one).[/ref]

    You're right - see my other post.

    Thanks,
    Steve = : ^ )

  5. #5

    The only way to get back to 9.1 is... Reinstall 9.0.4 from your
    iMac system CD-rom and then install the 9.1 update. I don't
    understand why Apple chose to make it its customers that
    difficult, particularly now that it is impossible to buy an
    official MacOS 9.1 or 9.2 CD-rom from Apple.

    Mark

  6. #6

    Can I do this into the same system folder so that I can keep all the
    extensions etc...?

    Thanks in advance,
    Steve = : ^ )

    Mark Schonewille said:
     [/ref]

  7. #7

    Steve Ball wrote:

    That is probably not a wise thing to do. I recommend doing a
    clean install. You can drag your extensions from the old into
    the new system folder, afterwards.

    Mark

  8. #8

    Mark Schonewille said:

    > That is probably not a wise thing to do. I recommend doing a
    > clean install. You can drag your extensions from the old into
    > the new system folder, afterwards.[/ref]

    That's what I figured - more work. :-(

    Thanks,
    Steve = : ^ \

  9. #9

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 10:25:21 +0100, Steve Ball wrote:

    It means that MacOS gets shipped in a number of specific languages, or
    'localised versions' of the OS. Each localised version is supplied to it's
    country and sold there, or a language that covers the general spoken
    language, eg. International English (code = 'Z') for us Brits.

    You can find out which one you're using by going to the Apple menu and
    selecting 'About this Macintosh'. On the top line, it will tell you the
    localisation code for your version of MacOS.

    For the full list of codes, visit my web site:
    www.graphixmad.plus.com/mac_troubleshooter/localised_system_codes.html

    Download another copy of 9.22, this time for your language.

    --
    Regards,
    Micheal Hutchison

    Mike Guest

  10. #10

    Mike Hutchison said:

    > It means that MacOS gets shipped in a number of specific languages, or
    > 'localised versions' of the OS. Each localised version is supplied to it's
    > country and sold there, or a language that covers the general spoken
    > language, eg. International English (code = 'Z') for us Brits.
    >
    > You can find out which one you're using by going to the Apple menu and
    > selecting 'About this Macintosh'. On the top line, it will tell you the
    > localisation code for your version of MacOS.
    >
    > For the full list of codes, visit my web site:
    > www.graphixmad.plus.com/mac_troubleshooter/localised_system_codes.html

    > Download another copy of 9.22, this time for your language.[/ref]

    Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I actually have the right (Int'l
    English) 9.2.2 but I have installed US English 9.2.1 - which, incidentally
    installed just fine over the Int'l English 9.1.

    I suspect that the Int'l English 9.2.2 won't run until it sees an Int'l
    English 9.2.1. How do I get there from US English 9.2.1?

    It appears that I'll have to start again with the 9.0.4 disks that came with
    the iMac and do the whole 9.04>9.1>9.2.1>9.2.2 update process all over
    again.

    Steve = : ^ (

  11. #11

    Frederick Cheung <DUH.ucam.org> wrote:

    > You can get OS 9 in different languages, the one on the iMac doesn't match
    > the update you downloaded. From your email address i'd guess that you need
    > the International English version of the updater (as opposed to the North
    > American one).
    >[/ref]

    & just to rub salt in the wound, a coupla years ago Apple Australia
    actually shipped Macs with 9.1-Z installed, and a 10.1 installer CD, and
    a 9.2-US upgrade CD...
    Peter Guest