Professional Web Applications Themes

can't login as root - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello. I have just installed Mandrake 9.2 RC2 and if I press CTRL+ALT+Fn (n is from 1 to 6) to login, I can't do it as root. However, 'su' command works for my normal account, and graphical login in KDE for root also works. Any idea? Thanks in advance....

  1. #1

    Default can't login as root

    Hello. I have just installed Mandrake 9.2 RC2 and if I press CTRL+ALT+Fn
    (n is from 1 to 6) to login, I can't do it as root.

    However, 'su' command works for my normal account, and graphical login
    in KDE for root also works. Any idea?

    Thanks in advance.

    knocte Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: can't login as root

    knocte <com> wrote:

    hello,
    your post lacks a lot of information.
    what error message did you get?
    take a look at
    /var/log/messages
    or
    /var/log/auth

    just saying it doesn't work is not enough.

    regards, Frank

    --
    There are no threads in alt.binaries.pictures.erotica,
    so there's no gain in using a threaded news reader.

    Frank Guest

  3. #3

    Frank Terbeck wrote:

    > hello,
    > your post lacks a lot of information.
    > what error message did you get?
    > take a look at
    > /var/log/messages
    > or
    > /var/log/auth
    >
    > just saying it doesn't work is not enough.
    >
    > regards, Frank
    >[/ref]

    Sorry, you're right. The system replies "login incorrect", but the
    password I type is absolutely correct (in fact, in graphical login at
    CTRL+ALT+F7, it works).

    I hope you understand me now. (The directories "/var/log/messages" and
    "/var/log/auth" don't exist.)

    Thanks.

    knocte

    knocte Guest

  4. #4

    knocte <com> wrote:

    /var/log/(auth.log|messages) should be regular files.

    take a look at /etc/syslog.conf
    look out for a line that start with auth, like:

    [snip]
    auth,authpriv.* /var/log/auth.log
    [snap]

    this defines that your system is logging all authentication information
    to /var/log/auth.log. this setting might be different on your system.
    take a look into that file. the information in there normally is
    timestamped so that you can see when an error happened.

    sorry, your "login incorrect" doesn't say anyting of what went wrong.

    regards, Frank

  5. #5

    Hello

    knocte (<com>) wrote:

    Check your /etc/securetty.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    com

  6. #6

    Frank Terbeck wrote:

    > /var/log/(auth.log|messages) should be regular files.
    >
    > take a look at /etc/syslog.conf
    > look out for a line that start with auth, like:
    >
    > [snip]
    > auth,authpriv.* /var/log/auth.log
    > [snap]
    >
    > this defines that your system is logging all authentication information
    > to /var/log/auth.log. this setting might be different on your system.
    > take a look into that file. the information in there normally is
    > timestamped so that you can see when an error happened.
    >
    > sorry, your "login incorrect" doesn't say anyting of what went wrong.
    >
    > regards, Frank
    >[/ref]

    Ok, I was wrong. I thought you were talking about directories. Files
    /var/log/messages and /var/log/auth.log do exist. In the first I can't
    find anything about the incorrect login. In the second I can find all my
    logins trying to access as root. Here they are:

    ep 23 13:56:36 maestro login: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM (null) FOR root,
    Authentication failure
    Sep 23 13:56:42 maestro login: FAILED LOGIN 2 FROM (null) FOR root,
    Authentication failure
    Sep 23 13:56:55 maestro login: FAILED LOGIN 3 FROM (null) FOR root,
    Authentication failure

    That's what I get. It's quite strange, isn't it?

    Regards,

    knocte

    knocte Guest

  7. #7

    Andreas Janssen wrote:

    > Check your /etc/securetty.
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen
    >[/ref]

    This file exists but it is empty (0 bytes). What does it mean?

    Thanks,

    knocte

    knocte Guest

  8. #8

    During your installation, you were prompted for security setting of
    your machine. If you select anything but "Normal", you will not be
    able to login as root from console. You need to change your security
    setting back to "Normal". You can confirm my statement by doing
    "ls /etc". You don't have permission to do directory listing there as
    a regular user. This setting is probably good for you anyway.

    knocte (com) wrote:
    : Hello. I have just installed Mandrake 9.2 RC2 and if I press CTRL+ALT+Fn
    : (n is from 1 to 6) to login, I can't do it as root.

    : However, 'su' command works for my normal account, and graphical login
    : in KDE for root also works. Any idea?

    : Thanks in advance.
    Alex Guest

  9. #9

    knocte <com> wrote:

    hi,
    insert

    [snip]
    tty1
    tty2
    tty3
    tty4
    tty5
    tty6
    [snap]

    there, and retry

    regards, Frank

  10. #10

    > hi,

    Still doesn't work :(

    Regards,
    knocte

    knocte Guest

  11. #11

    Alex Yung wrote:

    You're right: I selected "High Security" and I confirm that like a
    normal user I don't have permission to list the directory "/etc".
    Anyway, to permit login as root from console I must change this setting?
    Isn't there any workaround? I just want to login as root from console!
    Just that!

    Thanks.

    knocte

    knocte Guest

  12. #12

    Hello

    knocte (<com>) wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]

    > Still doesn't work :([/ref]

    You are probably using devfs. Add these lines:

    # Same as above, but these only occur with devfs devices
    vc/1
    vc/2
    vc/3
    vc/4
    vc/5
    vc/6
    vc/7
    vc/8
    vc/9
    vc/10
    vc/11
    vc/12

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

  13. #13

    > You are probably using devfs. Add these lines:

    Yes! You were right. Now it works. Many many thanks.

    Regards,
    knocte

    knocte Guest

  14. #14

    knocte <com> wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    Of course not. You can't/shouldn't log in as root. It's probably
    forbidden by your choice of security settings (to cut a long story
    short). Don't even try.

    Of course they do, and they're not directories, and if they're not
    there or are named differently use the appropriate ones for your
    system.

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  15. #15

    knocte <com> wrote:

    Don't do that! That is real ignorance speaking. There is nothing you
    should ever want to log in as root for.

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  16. Moderated Post