Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't Open Photoshop - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

I don't have a clue what happened but a few days ago Photoshop 7.0 started acting like it was going to open, then just vanished. I have tried numerous times since and it does the same thing. I have uninstalled and re-installed and it still acts like it is going to open, then in a flash it is gone. I don't get any error messages or anything. Please Help!...

  1. #1

    Default Can't Open Photoshop

    tate_graham@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't Open Photoshop

    Tate,

    have you tried to reset your preferences?

    See the FAQ (click here!) <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50.ef4a07f> for instructions.
    Grass_Hopper@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I got an answer from another site. I had to go in under the administrator and delete the adobe/photoshop file there, then reinstall it - worked great - am using it right now. I had not been able to use it for over a week and was getting terribly frustrated.
    tate_graham@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    My PhotoShop is doing the same thing, vanishing during or after it gets to the point of loading fonts.
    I have tried:
    Removing all Adobe products and all related files and then reloading Adobe PhotoShop. NO LUCK.
    Changing my hard drive from FAT32 TO NTFS.
    NO LUCK.
    I did get a message twice upon reloading PhotoShop which indicated that PhotoShop's Scratch File needed to be on a different volume from Windows Paging File.
    Well I have no idea what to do about that, short of doing a clean install and reformatting my drive to more than one partition.
    This all started out of the blue, so it seems there should be a simple solution. If it was working before, shouldn't it work now? I am so frustrated. We spend thousands on these programs and then they give us all these problems.
    I run WINXP. Yes, I know, running a Mac would have been the smart thing to do, but it's too late now. Too much invested in win. and in Adobe products. EEEK HELP HELP
    Eileen_Tidwell@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    during or after it gets to the point of loading fonts.

    that usually indicates a corrupt font. install any fonts lately? you need to go back, remove them and find the bad one before reinstalling.
    dave_milbut@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I did the control alt shift while opening PhotoShop, it asked if I wanted to delete the file, I said yes, but I still got the message that the PS Scratch file needed to be on a different volume than the Win Paging file.
    I hate windows... I hate adobe ... I hate computers .....
    Eileen_Tidwell@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Oh thank you so much for that link!

    I was having the same problem with mine, except it would blink out at "Initializing color preferences."

    I was most distraught over why it suddenly wasn't working.

    Thanks again!
    Mona_Kimball@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    OOPS, Premature post ... I didn't notice, but after I closed the error window about scratch and paging files, PhotoShop went ahead and opened. I tried closing and opening it twice, and it's working again.
    weird.
    Hope I remember what to do next time.
    Thanks for the help Folks!
    Eileen_Tidwell@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Eileen,

    That is an information message only telling you that for best performance
    you need to have the pagefile and Photoshop scratch files on different
    drives.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I run WINXP. Yes, I know, running a Mac would have been the smart thing
    to do...

    Windows XP is a fine operating system. Don't buy into the myths about the "superiority" of the Macintosh platform.
    Robert_Oliver@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    How do I go about putting the pagefile and Photoshop scratch files on different drives? I have never heard of a pagefile. I did know that the scratch files should be on a dif drive but I don't know how to go about it. Thanks!
    tate_graham@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Assuming ou have multiple drives, you can either:

    1) Set the Phptoshop scratch to a different drive from Photoshop
    Preferences>Plug-ins and Scratch disk or
    2) Move the Windows pagefile from My Computer (Right-click on
    it)->Properties>Advanced>Performance Options>Virtual Memory>Change (You must
    leave at least a 2megs pagefile on the C:/drive)

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest