Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't open Word docs in Acrobat 6.0 for Mac OSX - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

just installed Acrobat 6.0 on my emac using OSX, tried to create pdf's of doents I created using MS Word from MS Office 2001 running on Mac Classic OS. Acrobat says "Acrobat could not open (file name) because it is eith not a supported file type ore because the file has been corrupted when transferred via email etc etc etc. The files are not corrupted, they print out nicely from the Word application. Is it because I'm using old version of Word? Shouldn't Acrobat be able to recognize any file??...

  1. #1

    Default Can't open Word docs in Acrobat 6.0 for Mac OSX

    Susan_D._Bonner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't open Word docs in Acrobat 6.0 for Mac OSX

    You can't open a Word file (on the Mac) by dragging it over the Acrobat icon (or by choosing File > Open). You should open the Word file and either print to the Adobe PDF printer installed with Acrobat 6 or use the Convert to Adobe PDF icon on the Word toolbar.

    I believe the Windows version of Word can be dragged over the Acrobat icon to create a PDF.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Somebody with more smarts than me will have to verify, but; I believe Apple has brought back desktop printers. and your supposed to be able to drag and drop doents of any type on the desktop printer and it will print.

    Where is andi when people need him?

    Of course the doent has to be formatted like you want before dragging and dropping.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    In the Utilities folder in the Applications folder, open Printer Setup Utility. Select the printer you'd like, then choose Printers > Create Desktop Printer.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I tested out the theory that a doent could be printed direct to a Desktop Printer of the adobe printer Driver. Turns out you can but what happens is that it opens the original application that created the doent.then you have to drop it again. then the doent is created on the desktop with untitled as the name.

    So it sorta works. But it does fast though.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I've tried to drag and drop,the next image that appears is a window with the message, "Acrobat could not open your file because it is either not a supported file or...blah blah blah" apparently that's how Acrobat makes pdf files, it opens them and translates them, (except it's not working for me: When I click "Create PDf" froom Acrobat menu, same message, "Acrobat could not open your file, blah blah". My Word2001 for Mac does not have the option to save as a pdf, if it did, I wouldn't need Acrobat.
    Susan_D._Bonner@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    If you start Acrobat and select:

    File=>Create PDF=>Frome File=>Show

    you will see a list of file types that Acrobat will handel.

    From wpord you don't:

    File=>Save As..

    you need to use:

    File=>Print=>Save As PDF

    You may need to select a Post Script type of printer, I can't test this as all my printers are PS.
    Graham_O_Connor@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Thats is the exact procedure I have been trying with no success, I get to the files that Acrobat SHOULD HANDLE, and when I click on just such a file, I get the message "Acrobat could not open....blah blah blah...
    I suspect this is a problem of cross platforms, i.e. I create the doent in Mac OS9.2.3 and when I try to open it or print it in OSX using my new Acrobat 6.0 for OSX it won't recognize the file...thanks anyway.
    Susan_D._Bonner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    tried to create pdf's of doents I created using MS Word from MS Office
    2001 running on Mac Classic OS

    Sorry I'm a bit slow. Do you mean you are trying to open the Word doent created on clasic or a pdf created on classic, from Word on Classic?
    Graham_O_Connor@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I'm trying to create a PDF file from a doent I created in Word 2001 in the Mac Classic mode. I have spent a good deal of time talking to tech reps, and finally yesterday a young woman at Adobe, worked thru the problem with me. I downloaded a PostScript printer from Adobe dowloads, it created a virtual printer that appeared in the print dialoge of Word 2001,still using Classic mode, I was able to save (in the print menu) the doc. to the desktop as a PostScript file, (no longer a Word doc.), then I opened the PostScript file in OSX, it was viewable in "Previewer", and the File:print menu allowed me to save it as a pdf file, in essencce a workaround that eliminated the need to even use Acrobat 6.0. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, also anyone else out there using Microsoft Office 2001 be aware it is not compatible with Acrobat 6.0.
    Susan_D._Bonner@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Susan,
    Once you created the proper postscript file in Classic mode, there is no
    reason to use Preview. You can open the postscript file in Distiller to
    create a pdf file. If you want to automate the process slightly, you can
    keep Distiller open and use watched folders. When you create the
    postscript file in classic let the file be created in the in folder, a
    pdf will automatically be created.

    Mike
    MikeKazlow@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Thanks for the advice Mike, but if one uses Preview, one doesn't need to purchase Acrobat6.0. In hindsight, my difficulty was getting to the proper postscript file in Classic mode, and now that has been rectified, after many conversations with tech reps from Apple and from Adobe.
    Susan_D._Bonner@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Susan,
    > just installed Acrobat 6.0 on my emac using OSX, tried to create
    > pdf's of doents I created using MS Word from MS Office 2001
    > running on Mac Classic OS.
    > Thanks for the advice Mike, but if one uses Preview, one doesn't need
    > to purchase Acrobat6.0.

    In your first message you said you just installed Acrobat 6.0! The
    method I described will work if you have Acrobat 4, 5, or 6. Moreover,
    the Apple pdf creator will not embed fonts a very important capability,
    imho.

  14. #14

    I did install Acrobat 6.0, paid for it and everything,so now I own it, but now after all the research into why it didn't work, I don't really need it(Acrobat) to make pdf docs from Word 2001. I now know Acrobat 6.0 is NOT compatible with Microsoft Word 2001. Thanks for the input.
    Susan_D._Bonner@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Hmm saying something like
    "Acrobat 6.0 is NOT compatible with Microsoft Word 2001" reeks of FOX journalism. UNinformed missing the points nuances and

    Acrobat 6 is compatible with pretty much any application that can create postscript.
    Acrobat 6 can only open pdf files.
    However for certain file formats, before Acrobat opens them, it is able to convert them to pdf file format, before opening the resulting pdf.
    On the mac the word file format is indeed not 'compatible' with that functionality (unlike on windows).

    Acrobat 6 can create good pdfs from pretty much any format, via the ps route.

    Preview creates lousy pdf files btw. You are much better dropping those ps files in the distiller application, either directly on the application window, or via a watched folder as Mike described (acrobat 6 pro only)
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    FOX?

    Must be spending too much times on forums ... what is FOX journalism?

    Jon

    PS - Is it FOX mulder from X-Files ;-)
    Jon_Bessant@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    FOX news? It's an "unbiased" American telly company...
    ;)
    Bit like the Sun or Daily Telgraph/Mail tabloids here.
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Susan_D._Bonner@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  19. #19

    I know what you were trying to do. I also know it doesn't work and why. Acrobat on the mac has never been able to do what you want. But it's able to create pdf files from word files. So it's not incompatible.

    Or let's put it this way, your use/definition of the word incompatible is wrong.
    You might find the normal and proper way of creating a pdf file on a MAc inconvenient (in particular in your classic setup), but it's not something one would call incompatible.
    Incompatible would suggest that's entirely impossible to create a pdf from a word 2001 doc. This is simply not true.

    You could open the ps file created from Word 2001 also in Acrobat 6 come to think of it.
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Hi! I'm new to this forum, and new to Mac, but I've been using Adobe products for many many years.

    I have OSX, and a brand new Word program from Office:mac 2004, and I'm getting the same results. When I hit the "convert to Adobe PDF" icon in Word it tells me "PDFMaker could not locate the Adobe PDF printer...." When I try to open the file directly in Acrobat I get the same "...not supported file type...." message.
    I reinstalled both Acrobat and Microsoft Office hoping it would give me an option of loading a PDF printer - no luck.
    The Postscript printer drivers I see here on the Adobe website don't appear to be for OSX. I tried to install the Virtual Printer Driver and it said it only works with a PS printer driver already installed. The apparent newest postscript printer driver 8.8 says it will only run on Mac OS 8.6 through 9.2.2.

    I'm out of ideas - any suggestions?
    Kim_Schlossberg@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast