Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't play Windows .avi file on Mac - Mac Applications & Software

I have some educational software that is designed for Windows and I run it under Virtual PC. Most of the courseware runs fine. However, there are some avi videos that are just too choppy under VPC. I thought I'd just copy the .avi's to the Mac and view them there. Quicktime says it is missing the software needed to play it. I then tried it with Windows Media Player but it says "Cannot play back the file. The file format is invalid". Anyone know what is going on? Not surprised that Quicktime can't play it, but I would think the ...

  1. #1

    Default Can't play Windows .avi file on Mac

    I have some educational software that is designed for Windows and I run it
    under Virtual PC. Most of the courseware runs fine. However, there are some
    avi videos that are just too choppy under VPC.

    I thought I'd just copy the .avi's to the Mac and view them there.
    Quicktime says it is missing the software needed to play it. I then tried it
    with Windows Media Player but it says "Cannot play back the file. The file
    format is invalid".

    Anyone know what is going on? Not surprised that Quicktime can't play it,
    but I would think the WMP could handle it. Is there some other codec I need
    to download?

    --
    Bill Tschumy
    Otherwise -- Austin, TX

    Bill Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't play Windows .avi file on Mac

    In article
    <houston.sbcglobal.net>, Bill
    Tschumy <com> wrote:

    If you're running Mac OS X, give vlc or MediaPlayer a try. Both are
    freeware and they play a huge assortment of files that other players
    don't.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  3. #3

    hmm try using Mplayer you may have a divx or xvid file on your hands. Either way, Mplayer can play almost any file I have encountered

    mapleryosx.sf.net

    you can also try video lan client if that does not work
    http://www.videolan.org/

    Good luck

    -Anu
    Anurodh Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:09:28 -0500, sbt wrote
    (in message <091020030808178426%com.invalid>):

    > If you're running Mac OS X, give vlc or MediaPlayer a try. Both are
    > freeware and they play a huge assortment of files that other players
    > don't.
    >
    >[/ref]

    By MediaPlayer, do you mean Microsoft's Media Player? If so, I have already
    tried that as I indicated above.

    I did download vlc and gave it a try. It reports:

    ==========================
    main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `IV50'.
    VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
    ==========================

    Any thoughts about what this format is and why Mac video players don't like
    it?

    --
    Bill Tschumy
    Otherwise -- Austin, TX

    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:13:25 -0500, Anurodh Pokharel wrote
    (in message <bm3tul$28e$bu.edu>):

    Tried MPlayerOSX and it will play the sound component, but no video. I
    looked in the system console to see if there were any messges and found:

    ===========================
    Requested video codec family [indeo5ds] (vfm=dshow) not available (enable it
    at compilation)
    Requested video codec family [indeo5] (vfm=vfwex) not available (enable it at
    compilation)
    Requested video codec family [indeo5xa] (vfm=xanim) not available (enable it
    at compilation)
    Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x30355649.
    ===========================

    So it looks like it may need an indeo5 codec. Any place I can get this?

    Nope, that doesn't work either. It reported:

    ============================

  6. #6

    Bill Tschumy <com> wrote:

    >Tried MPlayerOSX and it will play the sound component, but no video. I
    >looked in the system console to see if there were any messges and found:[/ref]

    Not yet. It's in the latest version of Media Player for Windows, but
    has not been ported to the Mac yet, as I understand it.

    Tim

    Tim Guest

  7. #7

    In article
    <houston.sbcglobal.net>, Bill
    Tschumy <com> wrote:

    its only available for os9 and earlier. you can install it to run in
    classic or you can boot os9. also, indeo 3, 4 and 5 are all different,
    so you might as well get all three.

    <http://docs.info.apple.com/article2.html?artnum=60366>
    nospam Guest

  8. #8

    Bill Tschumy <com> writes:

    My first thought is that the files are corrupted, but not so bad that
    Windows can't handle it somehow, although poorly. Can you get a clean copy
    from another source?

    My second thought is to try opening the .avi files in Safari. It has played
    files I couldn't get to run under Media Player, Netscape, and MSIE.
    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  9. #9

    In article
    <houston.sbcglobal.net>, Bill
    Tschumy <com> wrote:

    IV50 = Indeo Video 5.0
    That codec *was* released for Mac OS 9.
    So, once you download the codec and install it in your OS 9 System
    Folder, you can probably play this file using a "classic" player. ( I
    keep an old version Quicktime Player for such reasons as this.)
    Philo Guest

  10. #10

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 16:06:47 GMT, upon awakening from a drug-induced
    coma, Bill Tschumy woke up in a cold sweat and exclaimed:

    <snippies>

    Here's Apple's Knowledge Base item on the subject:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article2.html?artnum=60366
    Just Guest

  11. #11

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:41:53 -0500, nospam wrote
    (in message <091020030941530060%invalid>):

    > its only available for os9 and earlier. you can install it to run in
    > classic or you can boot os9. also, indeo 3, 4 and 5 are all different,
    > so you might as well get all three.
    >
    > <http://docs.info.apple.com/article2.html?artnum=60366>[/ref]

    Ok, I did get it to play in Classic. Thanks for the tip.

    That's really wierd that it hasn't been ported to OSX. Must be some
    political issue.

    --
    Bill Tschumy
    Otherwise -- Austin, TX