Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't print Freehand Doents - Macromedia Freehand

I need help. Freehand 10 quits whenever I spool a doent to the printer. I'm running Apple OS X. Any suggestions? I've tried on three different computers with the same result......

  1. #1

    Default Can't print Freehand Doents

    I need help. Freehand 10 quits whenever I spool a doent to the printer. I'm running Apple OS X.

    Any suggestions? I've tried on three different computers with the same result...

    amysusan1 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't print Freehand Doents

    Is this happening with all doents or with particular ones?

    Does it work if you try printing on another printer?

    If you have Adobe Acrobat, can you print using the Adobe PDF printer that
    comes with it?

    andrewgburnett Guest

  3. #3

    It quits with every doent... New, that I've created or old that have been
    around for a long time and everything in between.

    I cannot save as a PDF, since as soon as I send the command to open the print
    dialog button, Freehand quits. So, it's not possible to create a PDF, select a
    different printer, or modify anything else.

    amysusan1 Guest

  4. #4

    Originally posted by: andrewgburnett
    Is this happening with all doents or with particular ones?

    Does it work if you try printing on another printer?

    If you have Adobe Acrobat, can you print using the Adobe PDF printer that
    comes with it?

    It's good to see a contributor with the Macromedia Logo on top

    davecc Guest

  5. #5

    Originally posted by: amysusan1
    It quits with every doent... New, that I've created or old that have been
    around for a long time and everything in between.

    I cannot save as a PDF, since as soon as I send the command to open the print
    dialog button, Freehand quits. So, it's not possible to create a PDF, select a
    different printer, or modify anything else.

    What happens if you try the following:

    1. Repair disk permissions
    2. Remove your printers form the printer list.
    3. Uninstall Freehand
    4. Reinstall printers
    5. Reinstall Freehand
    6 Repair permissions again.

    Then try printing to a local printer or to Adobe PDF Printer (if you have
    Acrobat this is the one that ships with it...)

    let me know...

    andrewgburnett Guest

  6. #6

    sigh. It doesn't work. I did exactly what you said...

    It quits as I spool to to printer. HELP!!!

    Since I tried the program on two other computers with the same result, could
    it be possible that the original Freehand is corrupted?

    Did I say, "HELP!"

    amysusan1 Guest

  7. #7

    amysusan1 wrote:

    Most of us are able to print from FHMX, so something is wrong with your
    setup. What is the make and model of your printer? I've seen quite a few
    reports on this forum of users being unable to print to Canon printers.

    Have you checked the printer manufacturer's web site for an updated driver?
    If there is one, install it and see if it helps.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  8. #8

    I am using Freehand 10, not MX -should I upgrade considering the fate of
    Macromedia products with the acquistion by Adobe?

    It doesn't matter what I print to, it quits as I send the command to print,
    before selecting a printer. I use Epson 777, Brother, and Canon ip4000.

    I've tried Freehand on THREE different computers with the same result...

    amysusan1 Guest

  9. #9

    amysusan1 wrote:

    Okay, let's get this straight. In your first post you said
    " Freehand 10 quits whenever I spool a doent to the printer. I'm running
    Apple OS X."

    Spooling implies to me that you have already gone through the print dialogs,
    selected the printer, settings, etc.

    Now you're saying that _before_ selecting the printer, FH 10 quits.

    It would help to understand your problem if you would exactly list each step
    of your print routine up to the point FH quits. Such as:

    1. In FH 10 application, File > Print

    2. In Print dialog, select printer (printer name).

    Another question. Are you running any kind of virus protection software? It
    can seriously interfere with commands sent over a network.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  10. #10

    Maybe you need to assign more memory to FH10 or add memory to your machine.

    "amysusan1" <com> wrote in message
    I'm running Apple OS X.
    result...

    Carlos Guest

  11. #11

    I'll clarify. I'm sorry.

    When I do command + P, or File > Print it does one of three things;

    1. It quits immediately and the message "The application Freehand 10 has
    unexpectedly quit."

    2. It starts to go to the print dialog box and I get the spinning pinwheel
    until the application quits.

    3. _Occasionally_ it actually displays the print dialog, I select a printer
    (either Canon IP4000 or Brother) and while spooling, the application quits and
    the doent will print.

    As for virus protection this problem occured BEFORE I installed Norton's Anti
    Virus. I've since turned it off...

    Also, I don't think it's a network issue, as I've turned off the wireless
    network and hooked the computer directly into the printer with the same results.

    Hope this clarifies the situation better.

    amysusan1 Guest

  12. #12

    That's a baffling problem you have there. You might have already tried these so
    please bear with me (or just jump past my post) if you have.

    First, have you repaired permissions, run scripts and cleared the caches
    followed by a restart? I've found these two freeware programs to be excellent
    at those tasks:

    Good luck!

    -Wes

    Wes Guest

  13. #13

    Originally posted by: Wes Rand
    That's a baffling problem you have there. You might have already tried these
    so please bear with me (or just jump past my post) if you have.

    First, have you repaired permissions, run scripts and cleared the caches
    followed by a restart? I've found these two freeware programs to be excellent
    at those tasks:

    Good luck!

    -Wes

    Permission repaired (many times)... now what scripts to run? and how to clear
    the cache after restart?

    If it's printer related, then why would Freehand be the only program affected,
    on other computers too?

    Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check out the freeware you suggested. At
    this point, I'm pretty desperate to get Freehand up and running...

    amysusan1 Guest

  14. #14

    amysusan1 wrote:

    Either of those two freeware utilities I linked will do all of those

    So you've tried old and new Freehand doents printing on different
    computers with different installations of Freehand to different printers
    and Freehand quits every time? Have you ever been able to print out of
    Freehand?

    One more thought (after a quick Internet search): I saw a note about
    turning off the printers not being used when printing. Apparently
    there's some weird, rare behavior with Epson printers in combo with
    other printers.
    Wes Guest

  15. #15

    Wes,

    Strange, this is!

    I downloaded one of the freeware programs you suggested and did everything and
    deleted all printers, repaired permissions, and everything else the program
    offered, then rebooted the computer.

    No improvements.

    Occasionally I can print doents, but the program quits immediately after
    that. Most of the time it just quits when File > Print is selected.

    I personally think it's a software gliche. Three computers with the same
    result? And the demo version of FHMX _does_ work, but then I have a problem
    importing .tiff. I've emailed Macromedia a few days ago with no response yet. I
    would LOVE to get my hands on another FH 10 and see if that works or not. If
    THAT works, then I KNOW there's a problem with all the computers I use and/or
    the printer drivers and/or network issues.

    Any other suggestions? Anyone?

    amysusan1 Guest

  16. #16

    amysusan1 wrote:

    Which version of Mac OS X are you running?

    Are you using a font manager? If so, which one?

    Corrupted, duplicate or conflicting fonts? To test, disable all fonts except
    those installed by the Mac OS system. Open an unaltered new doent
    template supplied by a fresh FH installation. Draw only one vector object,
    such as a line or rectangle. Will the doent print?

    When you reinstalled FH10, did you manually remove all preferences and
    settings before reinstalling? I don't know about the FH10 installer, but the
    FHMX installer does not overwrite preferences and custom settings in
    User/Library/Application Support.

    Okay, that's interesting ...

    Huh? What kind of problem?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  17. #17

    I am running 10.2 (ibook G3 and powerbook G4) and 10.3 (ibook G4).

    Erase preferences... no I didn't do that... And there are NO font manager
    programs on the computers and no new fonts installed on my computer in the
    longest time. I just find it odd that with no changes to my system and the
    problem pops out of no where...

    Tomorrow I will completely erase, reformat and reinstall 10.2 on the G3 and do
    a clean install of Studio MX. That should address the preference and font
    questions. Then I'll try your suggestion: "Open an unaltered new doent
    template supplied by a fresh FH installation. Draw only one vector object, such
    as a line or rectangle." to answer the question, "Will the doent print?"

    As for the .tiff issue. This is what it looks like
    http://poetrysoaps.com/FH.html

    amysusan1 Guest

  18. #18

    amysusan1 wrote:

    Believe me, I've been there several times (often involving Freehand.)
    But if it was working before then something did change even if you
    didn't see it or do it. The problem comes in figuring out what changed
    and fixing it. Good luck with the reinstall.

    Do you have an extra alpha channel in that TIFF? It looks like Freehand
    is masking the TIFF referencing an alpha channel. If it is then you
    should be able to uncheck the "display alpha" button in the object panel
    to get the TIFF looking the way you want it to.
    Wes Guest

  19. #19

    Is it possible to be weep uncontrollably and jump for joy? Simultaneously?

    I completely erased the harddrive on my iBook G3 (there wasn't much on there
    other than a few kid's games) completely reinstalled Mac OS X 10.3. Installed
    Studio MX and launched Freehand. File > Print was successful. The dialog box
    showed and I could save as a PDF. However when selecting a rendezvous both
    Brother and Canon were not listed and I could not add them to Printer Setup
    Utility.

    I installed the printer driver for the Canon and lo and behold the dang thing
    quit on me as soon as File > Print was selected.

    So... either Freehand is super sensitive to Canon printer drivers or the
    program is corrupt.

    I am jumping for joy, since thanks to Wes with his suggestion for deselecting
    the display alpha button in the object panel. My tiff looks like I want it to!

    But that still leaves me with Freehand 10 quitting as I select File > Print.

    And to purchase Freehand 11? Without knowing the future of Macromedia and only
    because of a possible corruption or gliche?!?!?!?

    amysusan1 Guest

  20. #20

    I have had the same problem with FH MX and a Canon i9900 printer. Since the
    Canon isn't a PS printer you will need to print to PDF first to get good print
    quality. The crash problem on my machine is caused by the page setup dialog in
    each doc. Simply open the page setup (File ? Page Setup) and change the printer
    choice to PDF and then you should be able to access your print dialog without
    crashing. Next make a PDF (you can set the dialog to automatically open
    Acrobat) and then print from Acrobat. Hope this helps.

    BilDal Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast