Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't record + misc sound problems - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

OK, I've looked in groups.google.com, TDLP, man pages, and I'm just getting nowhere, so I'll just ask these completely unfocused questions and hope someone has a clue to lend me. So I'm running Linux Mandrake 9.2 on a box with a VT8233 built-in soundcard, [AC97 Audio Controller]. I use KDE as my desktop, which means aRts, which I don't know a damn thing about and am having a tough time finding out. Anyway, two major categories of problem: 1) I can't get anything to record. I know the mike works, and that the soundcard works with the mike, because I ...

  1. #1

    Default Can't record + misc sound problems

    OK, I've looked in groups.google.com, TDLP, man pages, and I'm just getting
    nowhere, so I'll just ask these completely unfocused questions and hope
    someone has a clue to lend me.

    So I'm running Linux Mandrake 9.2 on a box with a VT8233 built-in soundcard,
    [AC97 Audio Controller]. I use KDE as my desktop, which means aRts, which
    I don't know a damn thing about and am having a tough time finding out.

    Anyway, two major categories of problem:

    1) I can't get anything to record. I know the mike works, and that
    the soundcard works with the mike, because I can record in Windows.
    All the mixers show the microphone is at full volume, and aumix
    has the red dot by it.

    gnome-sound-record just freezes as soon as I press the record button;
    I have to kill it (no more response to mouse clicks anywhere).

    qaRecord always produces a file of 8192 bytes no matter how long
    I leave it on, and I can't get it to play.

    Copying from /dev/audio produces no bytes at all.

    2) Sometimes the sound just changes to loud static. This happens
    frequently with xmms, rarely with realplay. Yes, I'm using xmms-arts
    and have it configured to use aRts as the output device. I usually
    get the static mixed in with the KDE startup sound.

    One possibly useful piece of information (or possible red herring):
    At startup it finds snd-card-0, but then it looks for snd-card-1
    through snd-card-7 and doesn't find any of them. I know that
    AC97 is supposed to have 5.1 6-channel sound, whatever that may be,
    so I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the missing snd-card-*
    modules.

    Thanks for any help!

    --
    This e-mail is a spam trap. Send to "moliver" at the
    obvious domain name for my organization (the whole school,

    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't record + misc sound problems

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:35:42 -0600, Mike Oliver wrote:

    <snip>

    I'm not sure if this applies to you or not, but one problem I had when
    playing with recording was not unmuting the "Mic Boost" channel, using
    alsamixer.

    --
    Eric Enright /"\
    sauronAtiptsoftDcom \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign

    Eric Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Mike Oliver wrote:

    I have the same sound chip in my box. Problem is that it's not fully
    supported. I wasn't able to make it sound at all with the alsa
    drivers, only the standard via82c_audio would work.
    You can try that one and remove the alsa config from modules.conf
    and disable alsa startup
    (just modprobe for via82c_audio in whatever bootscript you prefer).
    You won't have pcm control with this driver either, but at least on my
    box the sound output works ok.

    Haven't ever tried recording on linux, so I dont' know
    if via82c_audio will make this work on your box.

    change that to oss and disable arts or make arts use oss instead
    of alsa ( artsd --help or (perhaps) man artsd ) this is probably
    configurable in kde (I dont' know since I dont' use kde anymore).

    Had the same problem back when i used SuSE 7.1. Problem then was that
    the "maximum number of mixers" was set higher than 1 (the number of
    soundcards)

    Hope this is of some help to you. Good luck.

    /R
    roger Guest