Professional Web Applications Themes

can't return to x window with cntrl-alt-f7 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi - I just setup a redhat 7.3 system (I need this version so that I can run MatLab). The system boots in x-window mode just fine and I can log in and everything seems to work well. However, if I transition to a text window (cntrl-alt-f1, -f2, -f3, ...) when I return to x-window mode I have a totally blank screen. Cntrl-alt-backspace does not seem to shut X down and I don't see a mouse pointer (or anything else for that matter). I can transition back to any of the text windows and they continue to work fine. Any ...

  1. #1

    Default can't return to x window with cntrl-alt-f7

    Hi -

    I just setup a redhat 7.3 system (I need this version so that I can run
    MatLab). The system boots in x-window mode just fine and I can log in and
    everything seems to work well. However, if I transition to a text window
    (cntrl-alt-f1, -f2, -f3, ...) when I return to x-window mode I have a
    totally blank screen. Cntrl-alt-backspace does not seem to shut X down and
    I don't see a mouse pointer (or anything else for that matter). I can
    transition back to any of the text windows and they continue to work fine.

    Any ideas? Is there a 'refresh screen' command for x?

    I was not sure if this was a better "comp.os.linux.setup" or a
    "comp.os.linux.redhat" question so I sent the message to both forums.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Gary

    Gary N. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: can't return to x window with cntrl-alt-f7

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:37:11 -0600, Gary N. <gary.newellintel.com> wrote:

    > Hi -
    >
    > I just setup a redhat 7.3 system (I need this version so that I can run
    > MatLab). The system boots in x-window mode just fine and I can log in and
    > everything seems to work well. However, if I transition to a text window
    > (cntrl-alt-f1, -f2, -f3, ...) when I return to x-window mode I have a
    > totally blank screen. Cntrl-alt-backspace does not seem to shut X down and
    > I don't see a mouse pointer (or anything else for that matter). I can
    > transition back to any of the text windows and they continue to work fine.
    >
    > Any ideas? Is there a 'refresh screen' command for x?
    >
    > I was not sure if this was a better "comp.os.linux.setup" or a
    > "comp.os.linux.redhat" question so I sent the message to both forums.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Gary

    Sometimes X doesn't run on tty7, for reasons that elude me.

    Try just plain F(1-12) avoiding the tty that you logged in on, because if
    you go there, x will shutdown. (no big deal, just startx if that happens.)

    Alan

    --

    For Linux/Bash users: Eliminate spam with
    the Mailbox-Sentry-Program. See the thread

    Alan Connor Guest

  3. #3

    In article <2ISVa.67$jp.58newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net >, Alan Connor wrote:
    > Sometimes X doesn't run on tty7, for reasons that elude me.
    Bastille is one possible reason. If you enable Bastille's extra logging,
    this will happen on tty7 and X will move to tty8.

    --
    Juha Siltala
    Juha Kustaa Siltala Guest

  4. #4

    Juha & Alan,

    X initially works fine. I'm not sure if it is in tty7 or tty8, but it
    initially comes up and I can log in and out. The problem occurs when I
    switch from the x-window to a text window. I can't get back to X. I just
    tried tty7 and tty8 without success. tty7 is totally blank and tty8 has a
    flashing cursor.

    My focus is on the transition between text mode and x-mode. What controls
    that transition? X doesn't seem to get re-initialized correctly.?.

    Gary

    "Juha Kustaa Siltala" <jsiltalacc.helsinki.fi> wrote in message
    > In article <2ISVa.67$jp.58newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net >, Alan Connor
    wrote:

    > > Sometimes X doesn't run on tty7, for reasons that elude me.
    >
    > Bastille is one possible reason. If you enable Bastille's extra logging,
    > this will happen on tty7 and X will move to tty8.
    >
    > --
    > Juha Siltala

    Gary N. Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Lyle! I agree, I think the same fix is needed for both problems. It
    'feels' like x-windows is not getting re-initialized correctly.

    Gary

    "Lyle H. Gray" <grayno.spam.cs.umass.edu.invalid> wrote in message
    news:Xns93C8871FB3C1Egraynoibisspamcsumas130.81.6 4.196...
    > "Gary N." <gary.newellintel.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Hi -
    > >
    > > I just setup a redhat 7.3 system (I need this version so that I can
    > > run MatLab). The system boots in x-window mode just fine and I can
    > > log in and everything seems to work well. However, if I transition to
    > > a text window (cntrl-alt-f1, -f2, -f3, ...) when I return to x-window
    > > mode I have a totally blank screen. Cntrl-alt-backspace does not seem
    > > to shut X down and I don't see a mouse pointer (or anything else for
    > > that matter). I can transition back to any of the text windows and
    > > they continue to work fine.
    > >
    > > Any ideas? Is there a 'refresh screen' command for x?
    >
    > I have a similar, but not exactly the same problem, and the responses to
    > Gary's question don't appear to cover it.
    >
    > When I try to return from a text window (CTRL-ALT-F2, -F3, etc.), when I
    > return to the x-window with ALT-F7, I _can_ see part of the desktop, but
    > it's been shifted far to the right and down.
    >
    > Any suggestions for this one?
    >
    > Redhat 7.3, all patches applied.

    Gary N. Guest

  6. #6

    In article <bg8vsq$cst$1news01.intel.com>, Gary N. wrote:
    > Thanks Lyle! I agree, I think the same fix is needed for both problems. It
    > 'feels' like x-windows is not getting re-initialized correctly.
    Do you have a framebuffer console? If I enable the framebuffer here with
    my Matrox G550 card and this here monitor whatsitcalled some Samtron, I
    get a similar effect.
    >> When I try to return from a text window (CTRL-ALT-F2, -F3, etc.), when I
    >> return to the x-window with ALT-F7, I _can_ see part of the desktop, but
    >> it's been shifted far to the right and down.
    This I don't know anything about (well, I'm only guessing with Gary's
    situation as well :)

    --
    Juha Siltala
    Juha Kustaa Siltala Guest

  7. #7

    Johan,

    Interesting observation. How do I determine if I have a frame buffer
    console? And then, how do I enable/disable it?

    > In article <bg8vsq$cst$1news01.intel.com>, Gary N. wrote:
    > > Thanks Lyle! I agree, I think the same fix is needed for both problems.
    It
    > > 'feels' like x-windows is not getting re-initialized correctly.
    >
    > Do you have a framebuffer console? If I enable the framebuffer here with
    > my Matrox G550 card and this here monitor whatsitcalled some Samtron, I
    > get a similar effect.
    >
    > >> When I try to return from a text window (CTRL-ALT-F2, -F3, etc.), when
    > >> return to the x-window with ALT-F7, I _can_ see part of the desktop,
    but
    > >> it's been shifted far to the right and down.
    >
    > This I don't know anything about (well, I'm only guessing with Gary's
    > situation as well :)
    >
    > --
    > Juha Siltala

    Gary N. Guest

  8. #8

    In article <bg91o7$doq$1news01.intel.com>, Gary N. wrote:
    > Johan,
    >
    > Interesting observation. How do I determine if I have a frame buffer
    > console? And then, how do I enable/disable it?
    You can tell by the good looks of the framebuffer console :)

    Also, when you boot, you can see a Tux Penguin logo if you have a
    framebuffered console. I'm not sure about Red Hat, but it may be as simple
    as a LILO/Grub bootloader setting, or you need a non-framebuffered kernel,
    I don't know.

    --
    Juha Siltala
    Juha Kustaa Siltala Guest

  9. #9

    All -

    I'm still trying to figure out what is going on with the transition between
    the console windows and x-windows. So ... if you have any additional
    insights please pass them along.

    Gary

    "Gary N." <gary.newellintel.com> wrote in message
    > Hi -
    >
    > I just setup a redhat 7.3 system (I need this version so that I can run
    > MatLab). The system boots in x-window mode just fine and I can log in and
    > everything seems to work well. However, if I transition to a text window
    > (cntrl-alt-f1, -f2, -f3, ...) when I return to x-window mode I have a
    > totally blank screen. Cntrl-alt-backspace does not seem to shut X down
    and
    > I don't see a mouse pointer (or anything else for that matter). I can
    > transition back to any of the text windows and they continue to work fine.
    >
    > Any ideas? Is there a 'refresh screen' command for x?
    >
    > I was not sure if this was a better "comp.os.linux.setup" or a
    > "comp.os.linux.redhat" question so I sent the message to both forums.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Gary

    Gary N. Guest

  10. #10

    [email]jsiltalacc.helsinki.fi[/email] (Juha Kustaa Siltala) wrote in
    > In article <bg91o7$doq$1news01.intel.com>, Gary N. wrote:
    >> Johan,
    >>
    >> Interesting observation. How do I determine if I have a frame buffer
    >> console? And then, how do I enable/disable it?
    >
    > You can tell by the good looks of the framebuffer console :)
    >
    > Also, when you boot, you can see a Tux Penguin logo if you have a
    > framebuffered console. I'm not sure about Red Hat, but it may be as
    > simple as a LILO/Grub bootloader setting, or you need a
    > non-framebuffered kernel, I don't know.
    As far as I can tell, I do not have a framebuffer console.

    Also, if it makes any difference, I _didn't_ have this problem with
    Redhat Linux 7.0, and I don't _think_ I had it with Redhat Linux 7.3
    until I applied the patches recommended by up2date.

    Lyle H. Gray Guest

  11. #11

    Got it!

    I rebuilt the box with rh9 and noticed that it picked a different video
    card. My hardware is newer than rh7.3 supports. One little wrong video
    driver and look what happens! I think I may have to move the rh9 driver
    into rh7.3 because rh7.3 is the latest version that MatLab supports.

    Thanks for all the input!

    Gary

    "Gary N." <gary.newellintel.com> wrote in message
    > Hi -
    >
    > I just setup a redhat 7.3 system (I need this version so that I can run
    > MatLab). The system boots in x-window mode just fine and I can log in and
    > everything seems to work well. However, if I transition to a text window
    > (cntrl-alt-f1, -f2, -f3, ...) when I return to x-window mode I have a
    > totally blank screen. Cntrl-alt-backspace does not seem to shut X down
    and
    > I don't see a mouse pointer (or anything else for that matter). I can
    > transition back to any of the text windows and they continue to work fine.
    >
    > Any ideas? Is there a 'refresh screen' command for x?
    >
    > I was not sure if this was a better "comp.os.linux.setup" or a
    > "comp.os.linux.redhat" question so I sent the message to both forums.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Gary

    Gary N. Guest

  12. #12

    > Got it!
    >
    > I rebuilt the box with rh9 and noticed that it picked a different
    > video card. My hardware is newer than rh7.3 supports. One little
    > wrong video driver and look what happens! I think I may have to move
    > the rh9 driver into rh7.3 because rh7.3 is the latest version that
    > MatLab supports.
    Hmm. I guess I'll have to open the box and confirm the video card type, to
    make sure that the type chosen by Xconfigurator is correct (it _used_ to
    work...)

    Lyle H. Gray Guest