Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't run PS Elements - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I have an installed version of Photoshop Elements (v 1.0.1) which I would like to use for quick and simple jobs when PS v7 is (which I have installed) overkill. My problem is that I get the error message: "Failure to locate Vbox runtime DLL" - the message lists the path to the file vboxat.dll - which is correct and which I have. What's the problem? I'm running PS 7 and Elements on Win XP Pro. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you....

  1. #1

    Default Can't run PS Elements

    I have an installed version of Photoshop Elements (v 1.0.1) which I would like to use for quick and simple jobs when PS v7 is (which I have installed) overkill. My problem is that I get the error message: "Failure to locate Vbox runtime DLL" - the message lists the path to the file vboxat.dll - which is correct and which I have. What's the problem?

    I'm running PS 7 and Elements on Win XP Pro. Any help would be most appreciated.

    Thank you.
    Ozzie Alfonso Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't run PS Elements

    vBox is a file having to do with a trial version. Are you installing a trial or a retail version of Elements? It would make a difference to know that in trouble shooting your problem. Also some system details, like OS, Platform etc would be helpful.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  3. #3

    Rich,

    I mentioned the OS- windows XP Pro. I can't tell if it's trial or retail since I can't open the program - not even the splash screen. I believe it came installed with my system - a Sony Vaio 505. Even if it was a trial version, wouldn't I a least have a chance to purchase it? The "read me" file gives no indication of trial or retail. I don't believe I had tried to run the program before.
    Ozzie Guest

  4. #4

    Ozzie,

    So if I understand correctly, this came with your system and has never been installed previously? Hard to say what the problem is, but as I said vBox has to do with the trial wrapping. Did your Sony doentation come with a serial number for Elements, if so you probably have the retail version. Did you receive Elements on a CD or just as a preinstalled option? You might consider a call to Sony. I am hesitant to suggest uninstalling and reinstalling, as I am not certain from you that you have the original CD and serial number available. Normally I would say to uninstall Elements, clean off any Elements related files left behind, clean off any vBox files on your system and reinstall in safemode. But as I said, make sure you have the CD and serial number before attempting that.

    Rich
    Richard Guest

  5. #5

    Ozzie Alfonso wrote:

    I'm going out on a limb here, but the original OS was Win98 OEM on this
    computer? None of the applications that came with the original OS will
    work on another OS AFIK since these apps were tied to a licensing
    scheme built in to the OEM OS. Upgrading to XP breaks the authorization
    to use the supplied apps just as it would if the apps were copied to
    another computer. You can verify this by trying to reinstall Elements
    from the recovery CDs that came with the computer.

    Quaoar Guest

  6. #6

    I have had photoshop elements 5 for years and used it successfully. Now it won't run. ANy ideas. I use vista. Also can't find what kind of file it save a slide show in progress in, so don't dare uninstall without losing lots of work I thought was saved. Thanks.
    ablesale Guest