Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't run tutorials/AOL 9.0 - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Ever since downloading AOL 9.0 I have not been able to use the Tutorials or get into the help files in Elements. When I try to run a tutorial, the AOL 9.0 window comes up, and then a message that states that it cannot find the files & to check if the address is correct. The tutorials worked fine with AOL 8.0- the Internet Explorer window would come up. I contacted AOL and they said the problem is not with AOL. I also uninstalled and then re-installed Elements 2.0, and still the same problem. Any ideas? Judy...

  1. #1

    Default Can't run tutorials/AOL 9.0

    Ever since downloading AOL 9.0 I have not been able to use the Tutorials or get into the help files in Elements. When I try to run a tutorial, the AOL 9.0 window comes up, and then a message that states that it cannot find the files & to check if the address is correct. The tutorials worked fine with AOL 8.0- the Internet Explorer window would come up. I contacted AOL and they said the problem is not with AOL. I also uninstalled and then re-installed Elements 2.0, and still the same problem. Any ideas? Judy
    Gustafson, Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't run tutorials/AOL 9.0

    Judy, the browser AOL uses is customized for their purposes and won't respond the way a "normal" browser will to HTML files like those Adobe (and many other developers) use for Tutorials and Help. You will have to either locate or download a "plain vanilla" version of Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher. It's free. If you have a Win machine, it's undoubtedly already on there unless you removed it, because it's part of the Windows operating system. If you are on a Mac, there's probably a copy of IE on that, too, somewhere.

    Since you don't give platform or OS information (always a good idea, by the way, when you post a problem), here are some general guidelines.

    Somewhere in Control Panels or System Preferences, there will be a place where you can set Internet configurations. Then there's probably a subset for Web issues. Within the Web section will be a place where you can choose a default web browser. Doing this won't effect your AOL access, but it will allow you to view those Help files and the Tutorials.

    And, technically this is an AOL issue, but they certainly wouldn't define it as a problem, and in some respects it isn't. It's just that the guidelines they submit to developers for their software don't make it useable for viewing the HTML files.

    If you're having trouble finding the place where you can change this default browser option, repost and tell us the platform you're using and the operating system.
    Haney, Guest

  3. #3

    Beth, Thanks for the information, what you suggested solved the problem. I have Windows XP, and in control panel - internet options - programs, there was an option to reset web settings to orignal internet explorer settings (I have IE 6). Once again, thanks very much for the help, things are working fine now- Judy
    Gustafson, Guest

  4. #4

    I'm glad Judy! And thank you for coming back to let us know it worked.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest