Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't see open file in Illustrator 10 (winXP) - Adobe Illustrator Windows

When opening certain *.ai files in Illustrator 10.0.3, I can't see them (i.e. there is no file window), even though the file is listed in the open doents list in the Window menu. I've tried deleting/recreating the pref file, but it didn't help....

  1. #1

    Default Can't see open file in Illustrator 10 (winXP)

    Jeff_Waitkus@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't see open file in Illustrator 10 (winXP)

    Jeff,

    You mean there is no filename listed in the menu, or you can't see the thumbnail image of it in the Open menu?

    Try this:

    Using AI9/10/CS on a box with XP I see the thumbnails in the Illustrator Open dialogue by:

    Start > Programs > Windows Explorer
    navigate to a folder with some .AI9/10 images
    right-click on the image icon and select Properties
    left-click on the Illustrator Thumbnail tab
    select 32-bit icons

    If that doesn’t work the thumbnail comes from a registry entry under :
    HKey_Classes_Root\.ai\ShellEx\{0C5B0CED-206B-4c39-B615-0EB23C834612}

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Bob,

    The filename is displayed with a checkmark next to it in the AI "Window" menu, but the AI workspace that contains the file windows (either maximized, minimized or some size inbetween) is empty - unless I have another operable *.ai file open (that is, this problem occurs with only a few *.ai files, not all of them).

    Despite this, all else seems to function normally with these problem files - i.e. I can display their preview icons, place them into InDesign, etc.
    Jeff_Waitkus@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by file "window" or AI "window" menu. Perhaps that's my problem with understanding what you can or can't do. You say the maximize and minimize window isn't there? If the open file is maximized you don't have a separate title bar, it's on your Windows title bar, but if you look directly under the Windows minimize, maximize icons buttons, you'll see a light version of them. Are those missing? Is this what you mean?

  5. #5

    Bob,

    I think Jeff is saying the workspace has disappeared leaving only the menu
    bar and palettes visible.

    I've seen that happen in earlier versions where trashing the aiprefs sorted
    it, but never only with some files...

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    That's right, Len. It sounds like the same problem except for there being a limited number of files affected instead of all of them. Trashing the aipref file was the first thing I tried, but it didn't help.

    Bob - the "Windows" menu as in "File", "Edit", "Object", etc. The file that I open is on the open doents list at the bottom of the "Windows" menu, but it doesn't appear as an actual window, nor does the file name appear on the main ai title bar.

    It's a strange problem, I know, but hopefully there's a fix.
    Jeff_Waitkus@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Jeff,

    I've not seen that either. Have you deleted the AIPrefs file?

  8. #8

    Bob,

    Yes, as I mentioned, I have tried deleting the aipref file but it didn't help.
    Jeff_Waitkus@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Then perhaps an uninstall and reinstall might do it, but first I'd try an overinstall. That might do it without all the work. Any reinstall should be done with a "clean" uninstall and "clean" install, of course.

  10. #10

    The same thing is happening to me too. Any sugguestions?
    Tatiana_Ortiz@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Tatiana,

    Have you tried the suggestions already made?

  12. #12

    No, How do you recreate a pref file??

    But I have:

    re-installed Illustrator 10
    opened same files on another computer, they opened fine

    T.
    Tatiana_Ortiz@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    T.:

    How about checking the topic you posted earlier, just, you know, to see if maybe another user already answered your question...

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  14. #14

    Thanks!
    Tatiana_Ortiz@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Ok, I think I have it narrowed down. I tried repairing the installation and then removed ai altogether and reinstalled it - along with the 10.0.3 update. This didn't help.

    Then, after experimenting, I realized that if I first opened ai, then reduced it's window size (i.e. not maximized), the file would open correctly. I'm using the Matrox Parhelia (video card) with 3 monitors and I think it has something to do with this.

    Tatiana, are you also using a Matrox video card and/or running on multiple displays?
    Jeff_Waitkus@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Hi Jeff,

    No, but I am using a Matrox G450Max (dual monitors).

    Everything work ok, now that I deleted the aipref file. Did you try that?

    T.
    Tatiana_Ortiz@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I did try that but it didn't work (although it did fix a problem that I had with not being able to resize a text box and have the text flow properly). However, simply resizing the window when opening the file is a pretty easy work-around. I'll just do that until matrox improves their driver(s).

    Thanks to all for the help!
    Jeff_Waitkus@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Just out of curiosity, 3 monitors? How about getting a big screen TV hooked up instead?

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  19. #19

    Take a look at the Parhelia. It's a great product for everything except gaming (it's a little slow) -http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/parhelia/home.cfm - a big screen TV could never get the resolution and color accuracy that a CRT monitor can - were you just kidding?

    I have a 22" CRT in the center with two 19" LCD's on each side - all set up as one extended desktop. It's so convenient to have all the space for multiple windows/applications.

    Jeff
    Jeff_Waitkus@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    yes I was kidding about the big screen TV.
    Bert Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast