Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't seem to start the OS9 installer to install classic environment... - Mac Applications & Software

Hi, I have an iMac flat panel, 800mhz with 768MB ram. I removed the 60GB hard drive and put in a 250GB western digital, which seems to work great. I then partitioned it and installed Jaguar (required to see the big drive). Now I want to install OS9 so that I have the classic environment. However, I can't seem to do so. I am using the OS9 install CD that came with my iMac. The problem is, when I run the installer, the classic environment starts, I see the happy mac in the middle of the grey window and then ...

  1. #1

    Default Can't seem to start the OS9 installer to install classic environment...

    Hi,
    I have an iMac flat panel, 800mhz with 768MB ram. I removed the 60GB
    hard drive and put in a 250GB western digital, which seems to work
    great. I then partitioned it and installed Jaguar (required to see the
    big drive). Now I want to install OS9 so that I have the classic
    environment. However, I can't seem to do so. I am using the OS9
    install CD that came with my iMac.

    The problem is, when I run the installer, the classic environment
    starts, I see the happy mac in the middle of the grey window and then
    I get an error that says "There are no localized Classic-specific
    resources to update the selected system folder, "/iMac Install
    CD/System Folder". Please select another system folder from Classic
    Preferences.

    The default button opens the classic prefs, in which I can see the
    system folder on the CD but my 3 partitions on the big drive are
    greyed out.

    I have searched around on the Apple site and on usenet but the only
    discussion I found on Usenet did not have a solution, just a fist
    fight with name calling.

    Can anyone help me figure this out? It should be such a common
    situation that there must be a simple solution.

    Thanks in advance.
    blah Guest

  2. #2

    In <com> blah wrote:

    You need to boot from the Mac OS 9 CD-ROM to install Mac OS 9. You can
    install it to any of your partitions, it won't cause any problem for Mac
    OS X.

    If you just try to run the installer while in Mac OS X, since it's not a
    native OS X application OS X will try to start the Classic environment.
    The only copy of Mac OS 9 it can find is on the CD, but to be used for
    Classic it needs to first modify the system folder. Of course it can't
    write to the CD, so stops with the error message you got.

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz
    Roger Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your response. This indeed worked - I thought it wouldn't
    because I was under the impression that flat-panel iMacs did not run
    OS9 alone. One problem I ran into was that I could not install it onto
    my boot drive, it wouldn't let me because OSx.2 was already there. I
    put it on the second partition and that worked.
    Thanks for the help.

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 03:52:09 +0000 (UTC), Roger Johnstone
    <co.nz> wrote:

    >You need to boot from the Mac OS 9 CD-ROM to install Mac OS 9. You can
    >install it to any of your partitions, it won't cause any problem for Mac
    >OS X.
    >
    >If you just try to run the installer while in Mac OS X, since it's not a
    >native OS X application OS X will try to start the Classic environment.
    >The only copy of Mac OS 9 it can find is on the CD, but to be used for
    >Classic it needs to first modify the system folder. Of course it can't
    >write to the CD, so stops with the error message you got.[/ref]

    blah Guest

  4. #4

    In <com> blah wrote:

    That doesn't make sense. Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X will happily coexist on
    the same partition. There must be something else going on; perhaps you
    forgot to install the Classic drivers when you partitioned the drive. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  5. #5

    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 20:23:49 +0100, matt neuburg wrote: [/ref]

    > That doesn't make sense. Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X will happily coexist on
    > the same partition. There must be something else going on; perhaps you
    > forgot to install the Classic drivers when you partitioned the drive. m.[/ref]

    That will indeed prevent MacOS 9 from being installed.
    There is an option in the Drive Setup part of the disk utility program that
    allows you to put an OS X and 9 drivers on the same partition.
    --
    Regards,
    Micheal Hutchison

    Mike Guest