Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't select layers - Macromedia Freehand

Can someone tell me why I cannot click back to other layers when I accidently click in the wrong place in my work and Freehand switches me to another layer? There has got to be something I am doing wrong, but I cannot figure out how to "unfreeze" the layer panel when this happens and change layers! I click and click and and change tools, and click some more, so I wind up closing and file and re-opening it so I can switch between layers! Help!...

  1. #1

    Default Can't select layers

    DavidConner webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't select layers

    DavidConner wrote:
    > Can someone tell me why I cannot click back to other layers when I accidently
    > click in the wrong place in my work and Freehand switches me to another layer?
    > There has got to be something I am doing wrong, but I cannot figure out how to
    > "unfreeze" the layer panel when this happens and change layers! I click and
    > click and and change tools, and click some more, so I wind up closing and file
    > and re-opening it so I can switch between layers! Help!
    Inquisition time. :-)

    What version of FH are you using?

    What have you set in Preferences > Panels > 'Clicking on layer name moves
    selected object'?

    What do you mean 'clicking in the wrong place in my work'? Do you mean
    clicking on the page or on the Layers panel?

    Are you sending objects to invisible or locked layers? Do you have an object
    selected when you lock its layer?

    There's a small possibility that you have video driver problems, in which
    case FH isn't getting correct feedback about the location of the click on
    the screen. Do you have the latest drivers for you video card?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    Judy, thanks for your interest and reply. I am using Freehand MX 11.(something) Unfortunately, when you click "About Freehand" they no longer give you which version number you have! (Just a scrolling credit list) Anyhow, I think it is the latest one since I just upgraded. My computer is Windows XP Pro.

    In Preferences/Panels I have deselected the "Clicking on Layer name moves selected objects" because it really bugs me when objects jump around to differnet layers all the time. Could this make it difficult to click between the layers? I actually tried checking this box, but the problem continuedd.

    When I say I "click in the wrong place", what I mean is this. Say I am working on objects in Layer "A", and for some reason, Freehand jumps to Layer "B" and I end up putting a lot of stuff in the wrong layer. I am guessing that what I have done is clicked something in one of the lower layers to activate that layer. When I realize I am working in the wrong layer, and try to click back to the layer I should be in, Freehand will not let me change layers!

    These layers are not locked. The hasp on the small lock icon is open. I have thought about locking all the layers except the on which I am working, but it is really a hassle to have to do that. Do you have problems with Freehand jumping from layer to layer while you are working?

    I will update the drivers on my video card, just in case. By the way, how can you tell which version of Freehand you have, since they do not give you that information in "About Freehand"?

    DavidConner webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hi David,

    I think you're selecting items on more than one layer. I strongly suggest
    you read through your FreeHand Help files on using Layers, specifically:
    Help > FreeHand MX Help > Contents> Using Layers, Symbols, and Styles>
    Using layers> Moving objects and reordering layers

    That way I won't have to explain to you how to work with layers. ;-)

    Judy Arndt