Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't send photos to AOL - Mac Networking

When I try to send an EMail to AOL that includes an inline photo, the AOL account receives the message, but without the picture! On AOL, the mail controls are to receive all mail including pictures. On the Mac, I'm using Apple Mail and the result is the same no matter if I send from my mac.com, earthlink.net, or optonline.net mail accounts. Anyone seen this problem and have a solution? TIA!...

  1. #1

    Default Can't send photos to AOL

    When I try to send an EMail to AOL that includes an inline photo, the
    AOL account receives the message, but without the picture!

    On AOL, the mail controls are to receive all mail including pictures.

    On the Mac, I'm using Apple Mail and the result is the same no matter if
    I send from my mac.com, earthlink.net, or optonline.net mail accounts.

    Anyone seen this problem and have a solution? TIA!
    Mike O'Connor Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Can't send photos to AOL

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:33:50 -0700, [email]schramwebenet.net[/email] (Chris Schram)
    wrote:
    >Mike O'Connor <mikeleptonicsystems.com> wrote:
    >
    >> When I try to send an EMail to AOL that includes an inline photo, the
    >> AOL account receives the message, but without the picture!
    >>
    >> On AOL, the mail controls are to receive all mail including pictures.
    >>
    >> On the Mac, I'm using Apple Mail and the result is the same no matter if
    >> I send from my mac.com, earthlink.net, or optonline.net mail accounts.
    >>
    >> Anyone seen this problem and have a solution? TIA!
    >
    >We recently had that same problem. Our solution was to send an archive
    >file as an attachment. In our case, the recipient was a Windoze user, so
    >we used DropZip. Seems like a strange and unnecessary step, but the aol
    >user got his pictures.
    I send lots of attachments to AOL users (part of my job in the
    printing company I work for is email proofs) and I found long ago to
    either zip them up or stuff them (Mac) - otherwise AOL is "flaky"...
    italiano Guest

  4. #4

  5. #5

    >When I try to send an EMail to AOL that includes an inline photo, the
    >AOL account receives the message, but without the picture!
    Yep. This is because of a combination of Mail's attachment encoding and AOL's
    brain-damaged handling of MIME attachments.

    When you send a file, inline or as an attachment, the file must be "encoded" to
    pass through email servers. Encoding makes the attachment look like text, which
    is the only thing an email server can handle.

    Macintosh files have two "parts," which are called a "data fork" and a
    "resource fork." Other computers do not use two-part files, so the encoding
    standards were not written with two-part files in mind.

    When you attach a file with Mail, it uses something called "AppleDouble"
    encoding. AppleDouble works by:

    1. Breaking the file into TWO attachments, one for the data fork and one for
    the resource fork;
    2. Doing MIME/base64 encoding on both attachments; and
    3. Sending both attachments.

    Here is where it gets tricky:

    AOL's email software is badly written. (Yes, I am an AOL user, and it's badly
    written anyway.) AOL email software can not accept an email that contains more
    than one attachment. AOL's email software sees an AppleDouble attachment,
    thinks that it is two attachments, and will not decode it.

    In order to get the picture, an AOL user must do these steps:

    1. Download the entire email message with the File->Save command.
    2. Run a MIME decoder (Stuffit Expander will work) on the downloaded message.
    This will cause the picture to appear as a file.
    3. Open the picture in an image-viewing program.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: [url]http://www.villaintees.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html[/url]

    Tacit Guest

  6. #6

    In article <20030709125239.25267.00000045mb-m21.aol.com>, [email]tacitraol.com[/email] (Tacit) wrote:

    > Here is where it gets tricky:
    >
    > AOL's email software is badly written. (Yes, I am an AOL user, and it's badly
    > written anyway.) AOL email software can not accept an email that contains more
    > than one attachment. AOL's email software sees an AppleDouble attachment,
    > thinks that it is two attachments, and will not decode it.
    >
    > In order to get the picture, an AOL user must do these steps:
    >
    > 1. Download the entire email message with the File->Save command.
    > 2. Run a MIME decoder (Stuffit Expander will work) on the downloaded message.
    > This will cause the picture to appear as a file.
    > 3. Open the picture in an image-viewing program.
    For _most_ AOL users I know (actually most computer users in general), the
    above instructions would be met with something less than confidence and
    enthusiasm... :-)

    Though I'll keep those instructions in mind the next time I need to help
    one of my AOL buddies with an attachment.

    But I'd much rather fix things at my end.

    In a recent thread, there were two suggestions on how to remove the resource
    fork from a file before attaching it to an email (which presumably avoids
    the double attachment):

    [url]http://free.abracode.com/cmworkshop/grim_ripper.html[/url]

    or

    GraphicConverter

    Haven't tried this yet myself, but will do so shortly, as I have encountered
    the "Can't see the picture" comments from AOL users myself...

    Am I correct in assuming that even with the resource fork stripped, I should
    still always limit myself to a single photo/jpeg in any email to an AOL
    user?

    --
    Jim Glidewell
    My opinions only

  7. #7

    In article <jimglidewell-1007031042100001green.sdc.cs.boeing.com>,
    [email]jimglidewellattbi.com[/email] (Jim Glidewell) wrote:
    > In a recent thread, there were two suggestions on how to remove the resource
    > fork from a file before attaching it to an email (which presumably avoids
    > the double attachment):
    >
    > [url]http://free.abracode.com/cmworkshop/grim_ripper.html[/url]
    >
    > or
    >
    > GraphicConverter
    In my case, the people at both ends of the messages are nongeeks -
    one's my 75 yr old Mom - and I just taught her to EMail photos to her
    sister using iPhoto's EMail button.

    Maybe I can have grim_ripper run through the whole iPhoto folder, and
    things will start to work, depending on whatever iPhoto might be using
    the resource fork for..
    Mike O'Connor Guest

  8. #8

    >Am I correct in assuming that even with the resource fork stripped, I should
    >still always limit myself to a single photo/jpeg in any email to an AOL
    >user?
    Yes. Attaching multiple files or images to one email, even if those files have
    no resource fork, puts AOL users in the same boat as AppleDouble encoding does.