Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't Set Terminal Parameters Modem Problem (Not a Winmodem) - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have a US Robotics Performance Pro 5610 B controller based PCI modem. I am trying to make the switch to Linux (Debian 3.0r1), and life would be easier if I could make my modem work. It is *not* a winmodem, even though it is an internal PCI modem. There are no ISA slots. It's too late to return it, and it works great in Windows, much better than the old Lucent winmodem I replaced. I have an i810 chipset, and have included the following modules: i810 ac97_codec i810_audio soundcore agpgart which the i810 seems to need. Sound is working ...

  1. #1

    Default Can't Set Terminal Parameters Modem Problem (Not a Winmodem)

    I have a US Robotics Performance Pro 5610 B controller based PCI
    modem.

    I am trying to make the switch to Linux (Debian 3.0r1), and life would
    be easier if I could make my modem work. It is *not* a winmodem, even
    though it is an internal PCI modem. There are no ISA slots. It's too
    late to return it, and it works great in Windows, much better than the
    old Lucent winmodem I replaced.

    I have an i810 chipset, and have included the following modules:

    i810
    ac97_codec
    i810_audio
    soundcore
    agpgart

    which the i810 seems to need.

    Sound is working fine.

    Here are some details:

    Linux version 2.4.18-bf2.4 architecture i686.

    cat /proc/ioports

    c000-cfff : PCI Bus #01
    c000-c007 : US Robotics/3com 56K FaxModem 5610
    c000-c0007 : serial (auto)
    c400-c43f : 3Com Corporation 3c905 100aseTX [Boomerang]

    (I'm not using the NIC right now, but plan to later.)

    and Windows reports the same address range for the modem. I'm not sure
    what serial (auto) means.

    cat /proc/interrupts

    doesn't show anything for the modem and doesn't show anything for IRQ
    5.

    Windows reports IRQ 5

    cat /proc/pci

    Bus 1, device 8, function 0:
    Serial controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 1).
    IRQ 5
    I/O at 0xc000 [0xc007]

    Nothing else appears to be using IRQ 5

    setserial -g /dev/ttyS3
    /dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

    The UART is supposedly 16550A and I can change that with setserial,
    but I can't change the Port.

    If I do:

    setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0xc000

    I get an error message, "Cannot set serial info: address already in
    use."

    I tried cd /dev and then rm ttyS3 and then

    mknod -m 660 /dev/ttyS3 c 4 67
    and
    chown root:tty /dev/ttyS3

    but I wasn't sure how to arrive at the major and minor entries above.
    This translates to a base address of 0x02e8, and I didn't see how it
    was derived. I tried hex and octal with a calculator, but nothing
    came close. So, I ended up with the same port address that I didn't
    want, instead of 0xc000.

    I was able to change the IRQ, but it doesn't stick if I reboot, and I
    have to do setserial again.

    I use pon provider to dial up, and I've set pppd up with pppconfig.
    The error I'm getting when I do plog is:

    "Can't set terminal parameters: Input/Output error. Connect script
    failed. Exit."

    pppconfig couldn't find my modem, so I set it to ttyS3 manually,
    though I've also tried ttyS0-2 just in case.

    From a Google search, I saw that the init string might need to be
    changed, but no details.

    The error message makes me think that the I/O port is one of the
    problems, though I'm not sure.

    I'm booting from floppy for the time being. Windows is on my C: drive
    and Linux is on hdb. Windows doesn't see my Linux drive and I haven't
    set up hda to be mounted at boot.

    In my AWARD BIOS, under Power Management Setup, it says:

    MODEM Use IRQ 5

    Under CMOS Setup, it says:

    AC97 Audio Auto
    AC97 Modem Auto
    Onboard Serial Port 1 Disabled
    Onboard Serial Port 2 Disabled

    The AC97 Audio and Modem need to be on Auto, or sound won't work.
    Windows reports my modem on Com4, which is PCI slot 1. I don't have
    anything on Com1 or Com2, so they've been disabled in BIOS, but it
    didn't matter when they were enabled. I have two empty PCI ports
    that I could move my modem to, but it used to be in PCI slot 4 (which
    Windows reported as Com3) and it didn't work then either.

    I'm at a loss, and I'm sure that some of the info I've given is
    superfluous to the problem. I wish I knew the right questions to ask,
    or the right places to look, commands, etc.

    I like learning new things on my own, but I need a push in the right
    direction.

    Replies on the group would be very much appreciated, including
    directions to the right group, if I'm mistaken in that.

    Thanks!

    Susan Dridi
    Susan Dridi Guest

  2. #2

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > Susan Dridi wrote:
    >
    > > I have a US Robotics Performance Pro 5610 B controller based PCI
    > > modem.
    <snip>
    > The question is not really whether it is a Winmodem or not, but
    whether it
    > is a software modem or a hardware modem. Have you looked on
    > [url]http://www.linmodems.org[/url] ?
    >
    > Doug.
    Hi Doug,

    The USR 5610B is a hardware modem. So, the linmodems.org site isn't of
    help in this case. The USR site has a "driver" for the modem, but it's
    not really a driver. It's an rpm package which just scans the
    /proc/bus/pci/devices file for the modem, issues a setserial command,
    and makes a symlink to /dev/modem, according to the text at the top of
    the file. The rest is in binary, and I can't read it, and since I
    don't have Red Hat, I can't run it. /proc/bus/pci/devices seemed like
    an odd place to look - from viewing the file myself, I didn't see any
    reference to a modem.

    Thanks,

    -Susan
    Susan Dridi Guest

  3. #3

    Problem solved, after much fussing around, including re-installing the
    modem in a different slot, reading the Serial HOW-TO and the Modem
    HOW-TO, playing around with BIOS settings (MODEM USE IRQ3), since
    that's what Windows wanted after reinstalling the modem. Not that I
    plan on using Windows for dial up purposes much longer now:)

    The problem was that my modem in Windows is on Com3, but that's not
    necessarily how Linux sees it.

    dmesg | grep ttyS

    gave the following:

    ttyS04 at port 0xc000 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

    doing

    cd /dev

    and

    MAKEDEV ttyS4

    and then running pppconfig again (this time it automatically detected
    ttyS4) solved the problem.

    Thanks to Jason McCarty, who put up a great page called "How to set up
    your PCI modem in Linux" at
    [url]http://www.people.iup.edu/bclg/pci-modem.html[/url]

    Note, that this advice applies to hardware (aka controller based)
    modems. For people with Winmodems/Linmodes/Software modems,
    linmodems.org is a great resource.

    -Susan
    Susan Dridi Guest