Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't start MySQL 5.0 server on WinXP - MySQL

Hi All, I installed MySQL 5.0 a couple of months ago and played with it a little to assure myself it was usable. I tried to start it up today with "mysqld-max" in the Command window. A new command prompt was returned after about 30 seconds. I checked whether it was running with "telnet localhost 3306" and got "... Could not open connection to the host ..." I checked TaskManager (Processes tab), sorted on Image Name and saw nothing like MySQL. Just to make sure, I tried one more thing: "mysqladmin -p create TestDB". After entering the root password in ...

  1. #1

    Default Can't start MySQL 5.0 server on WinXP

    Hi All,

    I installed MySQL 5.0 a couple of months ago and played with it a little to
    assure myself it was usable.

    I tried to start it up today with "mysqld-max" in the Command window. A new
    command prompt was returned after about 30 seconds.

    I checked whether it was running with "telnet localhost 3306" and got "...
    Could not open connection to the host ..."

    I checked TaskManager (Processes tab), sorted on Image Name and saw nothing
    like MySQL.

    Just to make sure, I tried one more thing: "mysqladmin -p create TestDB".
    After entering the root password in response to a prompt, I got "mysqladmin:
    connect to server at 'localhost' failed ...".

    Do you have any ideas on how I can get this beast running?
    --
    Thanks in Advance,
    Richard

    Richard Lionheart Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't start MySQL 5.0 server on WinXP

    "Richard Lionheart" <NoOneNowhere.net> wrote in message
    > I tried to start it up today with "mysqld-max" in the Command window. A
    > new command prompt was returned after about 30 seconds.
    > Do you have any ideas on how I can get this beast running?
    I use "net start mysql" from the command line, or else start it from the
    Windows Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Services. This starts the MySQL
    server as a Windows service, instead of a foreground application.

    On this page
    [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/windows-start-command-line.html[/url] the
    docs say that when starting it the way you did, it should not return to a
    prompt until the service exits. So it is probably shutting down due to some
    problem.

    Try looking in the error log file for clues about the cause. The error log
    should be under the MySQL data directory, and is called <hostname>.err,
    where <hostname> is the name of your Windows server.

    Regards,
    Bill K.

    Bill Karwin Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Bill,

    Thank you very much for responding, especially with so much guidance.
    > I use "net start mysql" from the command line
    That's nice to know ... I'll add it to my nal

    < ... or else start it from the
    > Windows Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Services. This starts the MySQL
    > server as a Windows service, instead of a foreground application.
    Even better
    > ... So it is probably shutting down due to some problem.
    Good deduction

    I examined the startup command Administrative services and noted that it
    included a reference to ...\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\my.ini.

    However, my directory had NO files in it, only bin and data subdirectories.
    So I recovered missing files and directories from my backup. That got
    start-up working correctly, and the server responding correctly to "mysql -u
    root -p" and subsequent commands at the "mysql>" prompt.

    One minor problem occurred after this recovery, however:
    "telnet localhost 3306" flashing something like "Connecting to local host"
    momentarily, then clears the Command window and displays (shown bounded by
    ====):

    =============================
    7
    5.0.15-nt?1LiL"_=Q,?ar;k-<(N4U13

    Connection to host lost.
    =============================

    But I don't think this is symptomatic of a serious underlying problem.

    Again, thanks for your help.

    Regards,
    Richard

    Richard Lionheart Guest

  4. #4

    > I examined the startup command Administrative services and noted that it
    > included a reference to ...\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\my.ini.
    >
    > However, my directory had NO files in it, only bin and data
    > subdirectories.
    I would interpret that as an indication that MySQL was once installed, but
    was subsequently uninstalled. It is customary for software uninstallers to
    leave files that were created after installation, such as database files or
    edited configuration files.

    I think you may find that "net start mysql" doesn't work if you only
    restored files from backup. You may need to reinstall the MySQL software,
    to create entries in the Windows registry corresponding to the MySQL Windows
    Service. It should be safe to do such a reinstall, it will only overwrite
    files that already exist. (but I always advocate backing up your databases
    before a reinstall or upgrade of the software, just in case something
    happens that is unforeseen!)
    > One minor problem occurred after this recovery, however:
    > "telnet localhost 3306" flashing something like "Connecting to local host"
    > momentarily, then clears the Command window and displays (shown bounded by
    > ====):
    >
    > =============================
    > 7
    > 5.0.15-nt?1LiL"_=Q,?ar;k-<(N4U13
    >
    > Connection to host lost.
    > =============================
    >
    > But I don't think this is symptomatic of a serious underlying problem.
    No I don't think so either. I see the same response. This is normal. The
    MySQL daemon is not expecting a human to use telnet to interact with it
    directly; it is expecting the MySQL client library to contact it on behalf
    of an application. So the interface is designed to send condensed,
    non-human-readable data back and forth.

    What you're looking for by issuing "telnet localhost 3306" is not to be able
    to read the response, but to confirm that there is a response at all.

    Regards,
    Bill K.

    Bill Karwin Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Bill,

    Thanks again for responding to my post.
    >> However, my directory had NO files in it, only bin and data
    >> subdirectories.
    >
    > I would interpret that as an indication that MySQL was once installed, but
    > was subsequently uninstalled. ...
    Good point!! After checking my personal Log. I find I did delete MySQL last
    fall in favor of installing it with Ruby/Gems. That didn't work right away
    so I punted somehow.
    > I think you may find that "net start mysql" doesn't work if you only
    > restored files from backup.
    As luck would have it, that seems to work OK.
    > You may need to reinstall the MySQL software ...
    I'm going to hold off to see how far my tinker will yield a recovery. Right
    now I've got more db's in /data than "select DB from mysql.db;" knows about,
    so I'll fix that.
    >> One minor problem occurred after this recovery, ...
    >> But I don't think this is symptomatic of a serious underlying problem.
    > No I don't think so either. I see the same response. This is normal.
    Great! I think I'm fine for the moment.

    Best wishes,
    Richard

    Richard Lionheart Guest