Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't Type a Zero - Macromedia Freehand

:confused; When using FreeHand, all of a sudden, I can't type a zero in the normal fashion, but if I hold down the zero key for a few moments, it will begin to produce many in a row, which I then have to delete until I have only one. Anybody? Ron Stacy...

  1. #1

    Default Can't Type a Zero

    :confused; When using FreeHand, all of a sudden, I can't type a zero in the
    normal fashion, but if I hold down the zero key for a few moments, it will
    begin to produce many in a row, which I then have to delete until I have only
    one. Anybody?

    Ron Stacy

    Ron Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't Type a Zero

    Ron or Marcia Stacy wrote:

    I've never seen it. What is your FH version, platform and OS? Are you using
    an English keyboard layout?

    Are you using any kind of system extension that uses zero as a keyboard
    shortcut?

    Have you assigned a zero key combination to a custom FH keyboard shortcut?

    Is your zero functioning fine in other applications, such as word processors
    and email programs? If not, the zero key on your keyboard may have a
    problem. If you have a numeric keypad, does that zero key work any better?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Judy

    I'm using FreeHand MX on a MacOSX, and I'm using the US keyboard, because the
    Canadian (CSA) one gives me French accents. I've assigned command+0 as 'view
    full page' and option+command+0 as 'view all pages', but when I change it , I
    still don't make a zero. The keypad does make a zero in the normal manner. The
    zero key works normally in every other application. When I installed FreeHand
    MX in April, the zero key worked fine. The problem just showed up recently. I
    tried using a different keyboard without effect, and I tried changing to the
    Canadian keyboard layout, also with no effect.

    By the way, my Mac has been freezing up several times a day, which has been
    driving me nuts. Finally someone suggested that I put the pair of lower size
    RAM in the number 2 slots and the higher RAM in the number one slots. Haven't
    had a freeze since.

    Ron Guest

  4. #4

    Ron or Marcia Stacy wrote:

    Have you installed any third-party extensions such as virus checkers, screen
    savers, font managers, etc.? Sounds like the zero is triggering an activity
    in the background. Try running Activity Monitor (in Applications/Utilities)
    to see what's going on.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Judy

    I haven't installed any new extension type apps. I have run Activity Monitor,
    but I have no idea what it's telling me. Nothing jumps out at me when I attempt
    to type a zero on any of the settings in the Activity Monitor.

    However, I have come up with a somewhat satisfactory (but not really, because
    it should just work) work-around. I opened System Preferences, went to Keyboard
    and Mouse and put the 'Key repeat Rate' to 'Slowest' and 'the Delay Until
    Repeat' to 'Short'. This way, I can press down on the zero key for a short
    while and get only 1 zero. A short while is maybe 3/4 of a second, which still
    sort of interrupts the keyboarding flow, but doesn't require erasing a series
    of zeros that show up after pressing it with the 'Key Repeat set at fast.

    This is really annoying me because I've always touted FreeHand as the greatest
    single application for desktop publishing ever, and since I've come into the
    OSX world, it's been nothing but trouble.

    Thanks,
    Ron Stacy

    Ron Guest

  6. #6

    I have this problem on shortcuts I have assigned to numbers. Change the shortcuts and see if that helps.

    -Chuck
    chuckrock Guest

  7. #7

    chuckrock wrote:

    Chuck,

    Ah ha! A solution! I just assigned zero to the keyboard shortcut for
    Text/Convert to Upper Case and I get the exact problem Ron describes.

    Zero is the default shortcut for the pointer tool (solid arrow cursor). I
    don't think you can change that, and 'Go to conflict on Assign' does not
    pick up on the conflict.

    Any single letter or number shortcut is a bad idea for a text shortcut,
    because it creates an automatic conflict with text entry mode. I'm really
    surprised that the Customize Shortcuts dialog allows it. This looks like an
    accident just waiting to happen.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  8. #8

    So, Chuck and Judy; That was the solution. I must have somehow, by accident,
    assigned the '0' to 'Select'. I say accident because I never assign just a
    letter or number to perform any function. I always use a combination, because
    the numbers and letters must be clear to be themselves.

    I went to the keyboard shortcuts, 'Revert, just for someplace to be (I don't
    use a shortcut for that) and clicked on 'Go to Confict on Assign' and put in
    just a '0', and it took me to 'Select'. I entered '0' in the 'Current Shortcut
    Keys' and clicked on the 'Remove' button. Problem cured! Yahoo! Thank you very
    much! What a relief, as much for the knowing as for the fixing.:D

    Ron Guest