Professional Web Applications Themes

Can't use my CDROM anymore? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I am a newbie at Linux. Next to a hardware power supply replacement I can't use anymore the CDROM drive.I am running Mandrake 8.2 and the CDROM is mounted at boot with le following line: [rootdev]# grep cdrom /etc/fstab /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ro,iocht=iso8859-15,nosuid,noauto,exec,user,nodev 0 0 When I try to list either /dev/cdrom or /dev/hdc I have the message : [rootdev]# ll /dev/hdc ls: /dev/hdc: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type [rootdev]# ll /dev/cdrom ls: /dev/cdrom: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type How can I restore this device file? and what should I do? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Can't use my CDROM anymore?

    I am a newbie at Linux.

    Next to a hardware power supply replacement I can't use anymore the
    CDROM drive.I am running Mandrake 8.2 and the CDROM is mounted at boot
    with le following line:

    [rootdev]# grep cdrom /etc/fstab
    /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom iso9660
    ro,iocht=iso8859-15,nosuid,noauto,exec,user,nodev 0 0

    When I try to list either /dev/cdrom or /dev/hdc I have the message :

    [rootdev]# ll /dev/hdc
    ls: /dev/hdc: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
    [rootdev]# ll /dev/cdrom
    ls: /dev/cdrom: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type

    How can I restore this device file? and what should I do?

    Thanks.

    thierry.atc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't use my CDROM anymore?

    Hi,
     
     
     
     
     

    Sorry, I don't speak french, so I don't understand the error messages.
    But one thing for sure: You don't list the device files. Instead, you do

    $ mount /mnt/cdrom
    $ ls /mnt/cdrom

    and there the contents of the files will appear, not in the device
    files (which will rather be an abstract representation of the cdrom as
    total).

    So long,
    Thomas

    Thomas Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Can't use my CDROM anymore?

    thierry.atc <fr> wrote: 

    You don't list the device, try ls /mnt/cdrom

    Davide
    Davide Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Can't use my CDROM anymore?

    Thomas Richter wrote: 




    >
    > Sorry, I don't speak french, so I don't understand the error messages.
    > But one thing for sure: You don't list the device files. Instead, you do
    >
    > $ mount /mnt/cdrom
    > $ ls /mnt/cdrom
    >
    > and there the contents of the files will appear, not in the device
    > files (which will rather be an abstract representation of the cdrom as
    > total).
    >
    > So long,
    > Thomas
    >
    >[/ref]

    Thank you for your advice. I tried that but it says:

    [rootdev]# mount /mnt/cdrom
    mount : le périphérique spécial /dev/hdc n'existe pas.

    (translation: /dev/hdc deice does'nt exist.)

    thierry.atc Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Can't use my CDROM anymore?

    > When I try to list either /dev/cdrom or /dev/hdc I have the message : 

    My french s, so I'm kinda in the blind here.

    Does "ls /dev/hd?" show up anything?
    is the device node gone? recreate it then.
    (MAKEDEV)
     

    that is probably just a link.
    Have you done a filesystem check on
     

    MAKEDEV, fsck?

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: Can't use my CDROM anymore?

    Hi,
     
     

    Ok, so where's your CDROM? Is it ATAPI/IDE (I assume yes). If so, is it:

    primary/secondary or master/slave? /dev/hdc is the master on the secondary
    IDE channel. Maybe it's jumpered in another way.

    If you run with ide-scsi, you should change this to /etc/scd0.

    All these changes have to go to /etc/fstab, btw.

    Greetings,
    Thomas

    Thomas Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: Can't use my CDROM anymore?

    Thomas Richter wrote: 

    >
    > Ok, so where's your CDROM? Is it ATAPI/IDE (I assume yes). If so, is it:
    >
    > primary/secondary or master/slave? /dev/hdc is the master on the secondary
    > IDE channel. Maybe it's jumpered in another way.
    >
    > If you run with ide-scsi, you should change this to /etc/scd0.
    >
    > All these changes have to go to /etc/fstab, btw.
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Thomas
    >
    >[/ref]
    The CDROM is ATAPI but I don't know if it is attached to the
    primary/secondary or master/slave because I haven't fix it and I can't
    check it because I can't open it (it doesn't belongs to me).

    Therefore, I have:

    [rootdev]# ll /dev/hd?
    lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 32 nov 10 13:45 /dev/hda ->
    ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

    should I try to make a symbolic link with between /dev/hda and /dev/cdrom ?

    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Thierry



    thierry.atc Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: Can't use my CDROM anymore?

    Hello

    thierry.atc (<fr>) wrote:
     

    No, /dev/hda is your hard disk. You are using devfs, which means that
    device files are not stored permanently in the /dev directory on your
    hard disk but are created dynamically when the drivers are loaded. I
    think the symbolic links you are looking for should be made by the
    devfsd program. You also should find out whether ide-scsi emulation is
    activated for the drive:

    Type cdrecord -scanbus (the device will be listed if you use ide-scsi
    emulation)
    or, if cdrecord is not installed, type cat /proc/scsi/scsi.

    Also check your bootloader confguration. IIRC, Mandrake 8.2 uses lilo as
    default, so open /etc/lilo.conf and look for lines starting with
    append.

    I think if you use devfs you can also access cdrom devices by using
    device files located in /dev/cdroms.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    com
    PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
    Registered Linux User #267976
    Andreas Guest

  9. #9

    Default Re: Can't use my CDROM anymore?

    Andreas Janssen wrote: 
    >
    > No, /dev/hda is your hard disk. You are using devfs, which means that
    > device files are not stored permanently in the /dev directory on your
    > hard disk but are created dynamically when the drivers are loaded. I
    > think the symbolic links you are looking for should be made by the
    > devfsd program. You also should find out whether ide-scsi emulation is
    > activated for the drive:
    >
    > Type cdrecord -scanbus (the device will be listed if you use ide-scsi
    > emulation)
    > or, if cdrecord is not installed, type cat /proc/scsi/scsi.
    >
    > Also check your bootloader confguration. IIRC, Mandrake 8.2 uses lilo as
    > default, so open /etc/lilo.conf and look for lines starting with
    > append.
    >
    > I think if you use devfs you can also access cdrom devices by using
    > device files located in /dev/cdroms.
    >
    > best regards
    > Andreas Janssen
    >
    >[/ref]

    The problem was a bad connector connection betwen the primary disk to
    the primary/secondary where the CDROM was attached.
    After pluging the map connector into the right connector, ca marche!

    Every works fine now and thank you all of you.
    Thierry

    thierry.atc Guest

  10. #10

    Default Re: Can't use my CDROM anymore?

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:04:36 +0100, "thierry.atc" <fr> wrote:
     

    .... if you replaced something in the box and the cdrom
    doesnt work, i'd check the cabling
    ..
    --
    /// Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer, skydiver, \\\
    \\\ and author: "Inside Linux", "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed" ///

    mjt Guest

Similar Threads

  1. cdrom tracking
    By Ross Walker in forum Macromedia Director Basics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 14th, 03:21 PM
  2. can't unmount cdrom
    By Micha Feigin in forum Debian
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 31st, 04:30 AM
  3. can't log in anymore! plz help me!
    By Mark in forum Windows XP/2000/ME
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 23rd, 11:34 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 8th, 09:53 AM
  5. can't get a cdrom "configured" with apt-cdrom
    By Rob Weir in forum Debian
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 29th, 06:00 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139