Professional Web Applications Themes

Can the RIAA go after non-sharers? - Mac Applications & Software

Hardly a day goes by these days when we don't hear about new lawsuits filed by the RIAA. I know they're targeting people who use P2P software (like Kazaa) and who download and/or share MP3's illegally. But what if I DON'T do any of these things? I don't have P2P software - never used it at all, never will. I don't download MP3's, and I don't *share* them - illegally or otherwise. (I do have MP3's on my computer and listen to them via iTunes, but these are all ripped from CDs THAT I OWN and that I BOUGHT LEGALLY ...

  1. #1

    Default Can the RIAA go after non-sharers?

    Hardly a day goes by these days when we don't hear about new lawsuits
    filed by the RIAA. I know they're targeting people who use P2P
    software (like Kazaa) and who download and/or share MP3's illegally.
    But what if I DON'T do any of these things?

    I don't have P2P software - never used it at all, never will. I don't
    download MP3's, and I don't *share* them - illegally or otherwise. (I
    do have MP3's on my computer and listen to them via iTunes, but these
    are all ripped from CDs THAT I OWN and that I BOUGHT LEGALLY - and
    again, these are not shared, nobody downloads them from my computer)

    Am I still a target? As I said, I have no sharing of any kind. I
    don't download either.

    --
    ³There are no mistakes in love.²
    - Patty Smyth

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can the RIAA go after non-sharers?

    In article <110920031231089587%invalid>,
    Keeper of the Purple Twilight <invalid> wrote:

    Nope, you would not be a target. Making copies of stuff you already own
    is not copyright infringement.
    Pat Guest

  3. #3

    Keeper of the Purple Twilight:

    You ought to be able to reasonably answer this for yourself. Who --
    other than the RIAA -- can say with certainty whether they will target
    you? Do you have a history of being charged with crimes that you did
    not commit?

    I think that the RIAA's methods are a bit draconian, *but* the
    America-is-already-dumbed-down crowd are trying to make this out to be
    a complex issue. Theft isn't really very complex. Are you the copyright
    holder? No? Then you may not distribute the work.

    I wonder if it's good for our society to have a generation of people
    who think that stealing is OK as long as one steals something that is
    easy to steal. Will this generation legalize car theft in the case of
    unlocked cars, or cars with the keys left in them, or perhaps legalize
    the theft of any item that is unattended by its owner?

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
    Davoud Guest

  4. #4

    In article <110920031400273928%net>, Davoud <net>
    wrote:

    No, but who can stand up to the RIAA?

    I'm not distributing anything!

    Look, I already said: All the MP3s I have, are ripped FROM CDs THAT I
    OWN AND THAT I BOUGHT LEGALLY. Nobody else ever sees these MP3s. I
    don't share them, nobody downloads them, I don't use P2P software, and
    I don't even make "mix" CDs. All I do is listen to these MP3s when I'm
    sitting at my computer. I'm not stealing anything.

  5. #5

    In article
    <rogers.nf.net>,
    Pat Janes <arg> wrote:

    > Nope, you would not be a target. Making copies of stuff you already own
    > is not copyright infringement.[/ref]

    Maybe it's time for a boycott of the music industry. What say?

    Al

    --
    There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......
    Al Guest

  6. #6

    In article <110920031306175218%invalid>, Keeper of the Purple
    Twilight <invalid> wrote:

    > No, but who can stand up to the RIAA?
    >
    > I'm not distributing anything!
    >
    > Look, I already said: All the MP3s I have, are ripped FROM CDs THAT I
    > OWN AND THAT I BOUGHT LEGALLY. Nobody else ever sees these MP3s. I
    > don't share them, nobody downloads them, I don't use P2P software, and
    > I don't even make "mix" CDs. All I do is listen to these MP3s when I'm
    > sitting at my computer. I'm not stealing anything.[/ref]

    Yes, RIAA will be after you. And now that you've admitted on a public
    forum that you have not broken the law I'm sure they'll be after you
    that much sooner =)

    --
    Christopher S. Moore
    us

  7. #7

    Davoud typed:

    as a kid, i used to tape songs right off the radio. i remember everyone
    doing this. how many times did we make mixed tapes of individual songs
    from various CDs, either for ourselves or to give to our (girl/boy) friends.
    different generation, different tools, similar issue.
    i don't think it'll ever end.
    only difference is, there are way more lawyers involved now.

    --
    - Linux: the choice of a GNU generation
    - free; as in free speech and free beer

    remove '.eh' to email

    johnny Guest

  8. #8

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:06:16 GMT,
    Keeper of the Purple Twilight (invalid) wrote:

    Then why are you so concerned about copy violations. You aren't
    violating copyright, you aren't committing piracy, you have nothing
    to worry about.

    Don't you think it is at least a little silly to post a question to
    a newsgroup, when you _know_ the answer, and aren't prepared to accept
    any others?

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  9. #9

    In article
    <rogers.nf.net>,
    Pat Janes <arg> wrote:

    > Nope, you would not be a target. Making copies of stuff you already own
    > is not copyright infringement.[/ref]

    One question I haven't seen answered is, if I have a legally purchased
    song on CD or Tape, is downloading an MP3 of that song legal?

    --
    Real Email-> neoluddite0comcast.net <- replace 0 with
    Blue & White G3/400MHz MacOS 9.1, Starmax 3000/200MHz MacOS 8.6

  10. #10

    In article <110920031306175218%invalid>,
    Keeper of the Purple Twilight <invalid> wrote:

    > No, but who can stand up to the RIAA?
    >
    > I'm not distributing anything!
    >
    > Look, I already said: All the MP3s I have, are ripped FROM CDs THAT I
    > OWN AND THAT I BOUGHT LEGALLY. Nobody else ever sees these MP3s. I
    > don't share them, nobody downloads them, I don't use P2P software, and
    > I don't even make "mix" CDs. All I do is listen to these MP3s when I'm
    > sitting at my computer. I'm not stealing anything.[/ref]

    Are you using "backup" copies of the CDs in your car? That _might_ be a
    violation of copyright, since RIAA want you to buy another licensed copy
    to listen to there.

    Anyway, with the way the subpoenas are granted, how would they know
    other than you're a Cox Communications customer and use a mac (from your
    postings). Do you have thousands of CDs on your system? There's
    nothing to stop them from going to COX and asking for your records
    thanks to the DMCA. Then you can spend time and money defending
    yourself in court.

    A kid had a doent on his web site "harrypotter.doc" and got a letter
    from JKR's publishers only to respond that it was a bloody book report.

    Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
    Especially when it comes to lawyers...

    Michael Guest

  11. #11

    Davoud wrote:

    Xrist, can we not do this again quite so soon?

    Jim
    --

    Longhaired freaky people need not apply.
    Jim Guest

  12. #12

    Twilight wrote:

    If you're a target of the RIAA you can investigate this courtesy of the
    Electronic Frontier Foundation here:
    http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/riaasubpoenas/

    And for those who do engage in file sharing:
    http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/howto-notgetsued.php

    One is probably more likely to win a MegaJackpotlottery than be sued by
    the RIAA, but the press has been a great assist to the RIAA in putting
    the fear of god in the general public. And of course, the RIAA has
    managed to turn up the heat on themselves by issuing a subpoena to a 12
    year old girl.

    I don't condone theft of any kind, but neither do I support the absence
    of due process by the RIAA and the courts, and the additional threats to
    the First Amendment.

    If you're really concerned, you can always beg mercy from the RIAA, sign
    an affadavit of guilt, and promise to destroy all your MP3s. Legally
    obtained or not, they would be delighted to oblige.

    Frankly, I'd like to see these flash mobs show up en masse to the RIAA
    offices and do just that.

    --
    -John Steinberg
    email: invalid

    ....And that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.
    --Sir Bedevere
    John Guest

  13. #13

    this is all bull.

    The Music/Film/Television/entertainment biz
    initialized "free-booting mass-user duplication authority" to everyone
    and CONTINUE to pay the makers of *ALL BLANK MEDIA*
    and *ALL MEDIA RECORDER/BURNERS* contract royalties
    specifically JUST SO that "WE - the CONSUMER PUBLIC"
    *WILL* buy the blanks & equipment precisely for the said purpose
    for "mass personal duplications" to which the bastion and domain
    that is the digital superhighway has the specific & unique purpose
    to allow "mass contact with other computer lovers" to allow
    the FREE EXCHANGE of "personal data" -- and THAT!!--is an MP3***
    A particular type of *personal media* that IS NOT an industry standard.
    And NOT something that any copyright has jurisdiction to bann.

    So there is the full story - they PAY the elctronic industry to
    SELL to you --COAX you to BUY!!-BUY!!---BUY!!..!!!!.!. and COPY.
    Because they realized LONGGGGGGG ago that "allowed copying"
    is more fruitful for the biz that ANYTHING --and MP3's don't change it.

    Cheers ; )

    King Guest

  14. #14

    Bev A. Kupf <net> wrote:

    And to newsgroups where it's really off-topic, as this isn't a Mac issue
    per se.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  15. #15

    Jim Hill <com> wrote:

    Xrist?

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  16. #16

    NeoLuddite wrote:

    I'm not a lawyer but the answer, per the RIAA, would likely be no.

    Why? Because they are using digital fingerprinting to press these cases
    and if they can prove you downloaded it, I think the fact that you own a
    purchased copy is irrelevant.

    Could be an interesting test case, but unless the ACLU finds your case
    intriguing, do you really want to pay legal bills to support your
    argument? You've just theoretically tacitly acknowledged that you've
    downloaded MP3s -- IMO, that's actionable by the RIAA, simply because
    they cannot determine if you actually do own a legal original before
    issuing you a subpoena, and once issued, what's to stop a defendant from
    going out and purchasing legal CDs or tapes?

    Executive no-professional summary:

    It's not legal.

  17. #17

    In article <1g14nay.pa91crithxnqN%invalid>, Mike
    Rosenberg <invalid> wrote:

    > Xrist?[/ref]

    You know. The guy Xmas is named after.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Guest

  18. #18

    In article <110920031324450581%us>, Chris
    Moore <us> wrote:

    > Yes, RIAA will be after you.[/ref]

    Why?

    --
    "Boom. Boom boom boom. Boom boom. BOOM. Have a nice day."
    - Susan Ivanova, B5

  19. #19

    In article <tdl.com>, Michael Vilain
    <net> wrote:

    > Are you using "backup" copies of the CDs in your car?[/ref]

    No. Only the originals.

  20. #20

    Michael Vilain <net> wrote:

    Using a copy in your car is perfectly legal, no matter what the RIAA might
    want.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest