Professional Web Applications Themes

Can this be done? - Adobe Acrobat Windows

My Web Hosting company runs Sun ONE Active Server Pages, without the SpicePack. So that means I do not have use of CDO or CDONTS. Since they run Apache I do have access to linux sendmail feature. They have several examples how to send mail via perl or cgi but I was wondering is there a manner to wrap sendmail inside an ASP page? Also they don't support ActivePerl, so I can't even use pseudo ASP code and perl. Thanks for any advice and or hints....

  1. #1

    Default Can this be done?

    My Web Hosting company runs Sun ONE Active Server Pages, without the
    SpicePack. So that means I do not have use of CDO or CDONTS.

    Since they run Apache I do have access to linux sendmail feature. They have
    several examples how to send mail via perl or cgi but I was wondering is
    there a manner to wrap sendmail inside an ASP page?

    Also they don't support ActivePerl, so I can't even use pseudo ASP code and
    perl.

    Thanks for any advice and or hints.

    David P. Jessup Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can this be done?

    "David P. Jessup" <davidATimntDASHtechDOTcom> wrote in message
    > My Web Hosting company runs Sun ONE Active Server Pages, without the
    > SpicePack. So that means I do not have use of CDO or CDONTS.
    >
    > Since they run Apache I do have access to linux sendmail feature.
    They have
    > several examples how to send mail via perl or cgi but I was wondering
    is
    > there a manner to wrap sendmail inside an ASP page?
    >
    > Also they don't support ActivePerl, so I can't even use pseudo ASP
    code and
    > perl.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice and or hints.

    Don't know what you do and don't have access to but...
    1. You could build a custom component to do this, but if your service
    provider doesn't support SpicePack, it's unlikely they would condone
    custom components/Chili!Beans
    2. Generate the raw email file and push it in your sendmail outgoing
    queue. This is mainly conjecture, I have no idea if this is feasible or
    not.
    3. Response.Redirect to the cgi
    4. XMLHTTP to the cgi if you need to process the results.

    HTH
    -Chris

    Chris Hohmann Guest

  3. #3

    Is there a quick (easy) way to take an existing page and generate a css page to
    te the appearance of said page?

    --

    Harvey Waxman
    Harvey Products makers of Dinghy Dogs

  4. #4

    Do you mean CSS-P using css for positioning to replace tables? i doubt it.

    Do you mean CSS for style info, to replace <font> and similar tags?
    Yes-Kind of.

    There are dedicated CSS editors- like TopStyle and others- that can read and
    evaluate a page- and replace font tags with css.

    also- there's a program/project called HTMLTidy that can strip font tags and
    put in styles. There's an extension for windows/dreamweaver, and a plugin
    for bbedit/mac
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/special/extensions/#dmx_tidy[/url]
    [url]http://tidy.sourceforge.net/[/url]

    TopStyle works on pages or Sitewide- html tidy will work on pages. You can
    batch files thru Tidy- but each file will have it's own set of styles in the
    head instead of a single external stylesheet. Tidy is valuable for it's
    syntax checking regardless though.

    Some folks resort to the brute force method- a Regular Expression find and
    replace to strip all font tags- then a basic stylesheet that redefines the
    body, p , h ,and td tags to cover 98% of the content- and then looking at
    the page to see what exceptions should have other classes applied.

    Find: in source: </?font[^>]*>
    Replace: leave blank.
    Put a checkmark in "use RegExp"
    NOTE- if site uses templates or library items- run this search pattern on
    the templates and library item first- otherwise dw might hit an endless loop
    trying to change a locked area.
    > Is there a quick (easy) way to take an existing page and generate a css page
    > te the appearance of said page?
    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

    Alan Ames Guest

  5. #5

    In article <BB3CE2D9.13DF46%bluformdude.com>, Alan Ames <bluformdude.com>
    wrote:
    > Do you mean CSS-P using css for positioning to replace tables? i doubt it.
    >
    > Do you mean CSS for style info, to replace <font> and similar tags?
    > Yes-Kind of.

    thanks a lot.

    --

    Harvey Waxman
    Harvey Products makers of Dinghy Dogs(TM)

  6. #6

    I need to ask you this before I get my hands on the job, and after
    it's done it doesn't work

    Here's what I have in mind..

    I want to have two .dir files, the first has a big stage (800x600) and
    the second a smaller, so that this file can be imported inside the
    main one (the bigger)

    This second .dir file, should have some moveable sprites with data
    attached to them throught a behaviour (Imagine a photo of a person and
    the sprite's data would be the name, age, etc fo the person)

    Now the big question is, can I import this second (smaller stage) into
    my main Director file, and drag the photos out of the small stage into
    the other, and still have acess to all the data associated with the
    sprite?

    I just hope that I've put this clear so that you can understand what
    I'm asking.

    Thank you for time

    TomaHawK Guest

  7. #7

    Depending on the intended application, a possible alternative would be
    to use external castlibs to contain the images and data, using a
    specific 'database' organization within these castlibs. To connect to
    one of these castlibs you would simply change the filename of the
    initial linked dtabase castlib.

    There an article out there on editing file clips describing temporarily
    settting the score of the main movie to the score of the file loop, do
    some score recording modification then restore the score to the clip and
    main movie. This is a specialized,unnessesarily roudabout process.
    JB Guest

  8. #8

    Assuming you use a MIAW to "import" the smaller movie in, you can do what
    you want. It would take a little trickery but you would assign a sprite in
    the larger movie to follow the sprite that's being dragged in the MIAW.
    Since the MIAW will be on top you can have the larger movie's sprite follow
    it and automatically be behind the MIAW to make it look like it's one
    sprite.

    --
    Craig Wollman
    Word of Mouth Productions
    "TomaHawK" <nvidalstudent.dei.uc.pt> wrote in message
    > I need to ask you this before I get my hands on the job, and after
    > it's done it doesn't work
    >
    > Here's what I have in mind..
    >
    > I want to have two .dir files, the first has a big stage (800x600) and
    > the second a smaller, so that this file can be imported inside the
    > main one (the bigger)
    >
    > This second .dir file, should have some moveable sprites with data
    > attached to them throught a behaviour (Imagine a photo of a person and
    > the sprite's data would be the name, age, etc fo the person)
    >
    > Now the big question is, can I import this second (smaller stage) into
    > my main Director file, and drag the photos out of the small stage into
    > the other, and still have acess to all the data associated with the
    > sprite?
    >
    > I just hope that I've put this clear so that you can understand what
    > I'm asking.
    >
    > Thank you for time

    Word of Mouth Productions Guest

  9. #9

    Hmmmm, It sounds a little tricky to do... :(
    I better quit that idea and do it any other way.

    Thanks for the info thought ;)

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:46:13 +0100, TomaHawK
    <nvidalstudent.dei.uc.pt> wrote:
    >I need to ask you this before I get my hands on the job, and after
    >it's done it doesn't work
    >
    >Here's what I have in mind..
    >
    >I want to have two .dir files, the first has a big stage (800x600) and
    >the second a smaller, so that this file can be imported inside the
    >main one (the bigger)
    >
    >This second .dir file, should have some moveable sprites with data
    >attached to them throught a behaviour (Imagine a photo of a person and
    >the sprite's data would be the name, age, etc fo the person)
    >
    >Now the big question is, can I import this second (smaller stage) into
    >my main Director file, and drag the photos out of the small stage into
    >the other, and still have acess to all the data associated with the
    >sprite?
    >
    >I just hope that I've put this clear so that you can understand what
    >I'm asking.
    >
    >Thank you for time
    TomaHawK Guest

  10. #10

    ANY other way? I would think that I alone could come up with many other
    ways that are much more tricky than mine.

  11. #11

    hehe :)

    When I said it was better for me to quit the idea, I mean to do that
    with two dir files... it's easier to do all in the same movie.

    I was not saying that your way of doing it is tricky.... well it is
    really :) , as I'm not that advanced on Director/Lingo, I'd consider
    myself a intermediate user

    Thanks any way

  12. #12

    Hi

    you will find what you need on [url]www.flashkit.com[/url]
    Just go there and make a search, they have it!
    In fact they have everything!
    I downloaded such a file last year and keep
    working with it.

    That works!

    PK

    Pixel Komando Guest

  13. #13

    I work at a fastener manufacturing company. We keep our customer order
    records on index cards (customer, our part number, part weight, and,
    every order, how many, sell price and order date). We've got thousands
    of them in files. Sometimes they can't be found. They have to be
    filed. Time to put them on the server.

    Idea; so that we don't have to key in all the data already on the card
    scan them (PDF?) and then paste them into the top of an Excel
    spreadsheet. Put new data in the free columns/rows below the scanned
    image. I tried it and all I get is a little box with a PDF logo in it.
    Is there any way to put an image scanned from a doent into an Excel
    spreadsheet?

    Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
    Steve Ignots
    CSM Fastener Products
    Steve Ignots Guest

  14. #14

    Steve,
    See my post in the excel.misc forum

    [email]signotsaol.com[/email] (Steve Ignots) wrote in message news:<e8bda8a2.0404021449.ffb886cposting.google.c om>...
    > I work at a fastener manufacturing company. We keep our customer order
    > records on index cards (customer, our part number, part weight, and,
    > every order, how many, sell price and order date). We've got thousands
    > of them in files. Sometimes they can't be found. They have to be
    > filed. Time to put them on the server.
    >
    > Idea; so that we don't have to key in all the data already on the card
    > scan them (PDF?) and then paste them into the top of an Excel
    > spreadsheet. Put new data in the free columns/rows below the scanned
    > image. I tried it and all I get is a little box with a PDF logo in it.
    > Is there any way to put an image scanned from a doent into an Excel
    > spreadsheet?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
    > Steve Ignots
    > CSM Fastener Products
    arasu Guest

  15. #15

    I have a user that wants to be able to replace a pdf file and upload it to the
    server on a daily basis. There is a button from the main web site to the pdf
    file. The pdf file opens in it's own window but is not an html file. Can I
    give the user access to just that page so that he can replace it daily and
    upload it?

    TerryLynn Guest

  16. #16

    You might try creating a new role for this user, then limit that role's
    access to only the folder on the website where the pdf lives. And take
    away all the editing rights, etc., from that role so that person can't
    do anything else. Then tell the user to use the Upload File From
    Computer option in Contribute to upload the new version of the pdf to
    the site. That scenario might work (I don't have Contribute right in
    front of me to test it, but that approach might be worth checking out.)

    Good luck

    TerryLynn wrote:
    > I have a user that wants to be able to replace a pdf file and upload it to the
    > server on a daily basis. There is a button from the main web site to the pdf
    > file. The pdf file opens in it's own window but is not an html file. Can I
    > give the user access to just that page so that he can replace it daily and
    > upload it?
    bobolech Guest