Professional Web Applications Themes

Can we have her face back in 13? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Every time I open Illy, I enjoy seeing her face on the splash screen. One day even I might find a good reason to upgrade, but I should certainly be more inclined to do so if her face would still be there. A face, and hair, would also give a great opportunity to show new tool/effect/whatever development. Flowers are nice, but they are even nicer when they are showering about Illy....

  1. #1

    Default Can we have her face back in 13?

    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can we have her face back in 13?

    I'm probably in the minority in this forum about this, Jacob, but count me out on that one. Not everyone is so nostalgic about AI's legacy branding graphics. ;-)

    When working in a semi-technical environment, it's hard enough to convince managers, engineers, and IT guys of the legitimacy of Adobe apps instead of more vertical market stuff without consumerish packaging.

    When people are accustomed to looking over the shoulder of mechanical engineers running no-nonsense (well, less nonsense) CAE software, AI's crayon box styling is not "liberating"; it's almost embarassing. Personally, I'd rather see Adobe apps take on the less visually obtrusive labeling treatment of the Macromedia apps (probably the most effective labeling campaign among graphics apps, especially for a "suite" bundle) than the other way 'round.

    Even when working in my own studio, it's the same principle as setting the desktop to a neutral gray. I'm an illustrator. I create eye candy. I don't want tiring eye candy in the OS or application interface to compete for my eye's attention. And I want to consider my tools to be serious and to look lean and efficient. Even the most beautifully designed Chrismas wrap becomes quickly tiring if you have to look at it every day.

    So I'm rather tired of the worn-out approach of labeling graphics apps with an image that tries to incorporate every function that can be done with the program. Put that stuff in a thorough set of user doentation.

    Macromedia's simple and unstrained branding scheme is highly recognizable and effective. It's appearance is still commercial, but industrial-strength. Whether true or not, it also suggests a much stronger cohesion across the bundle of separate Studio apps. And I find the coordinated color-coding of the icons to be more helpful in the OS windows, too. AI's busy icons jumping from pink (CS) to orange (CS2); and InD's jumping from blue (2) to brown (CS) is cluttered and confused by comparison.

    I think Adobe can learn alot from its new acquisitions.

    I'll tell ya what: Gather up all the Venus images from previous versions all the way back to the beginning, put them in the Goodies folder on the CD as a gift, with a recommendation that nostalgic users install them as desktop wallpaper. ;-)

    JET
    James_Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Jacob,

    Did you know that in both CS and CS2, if you hold down Alt/Option while invoking the About Illustrator command, you will get an alternate splash screen with a Venus image? In CS (but not CS2), you can also get her image at the top of the toolbox if you type v-e-n-u-s.
    Teri Guest

  4. #4

    Teri,

    I only knew about the CS Toolbox, not about the other feature; however the face support in later versions seems to be dwindling, and this does not give much hope to the non anti nostalgic users.

    Last year we had a couple of threads involving the image(s). Concerning the name of the rose, I still admit that she looks much like Venus, but as any forensic expert could tell you, the neck is 20% shorter, as measured from the shoulder to the jaw; and the features are different, even to a measurable degree. Therefore I see Illy as a younger relative, member of the Adobe branch of the family.

    James,

    If all nostalgic users used the wallpaper, would general work performance not suffer? I hope this thread will not cause too much suffering.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    As a long time user of AI (since '88'), I too disagree with the divergence from the old logo. I find the simplistic flower almost offensive. I always enjoyed the new look of an old friend when the upgrades came out. We all create eye-candy. I love to ugrade and recreate old images as new techniques and style are acquired and old constraints are surpassed and superceded. I often find that what was 'final' created in version 5.5 is now a rough draft. No thing we do is ever truely unique, I am surrounded by inspirations, not distractions.
    I am sorry if a software icon can be so strong as to distract or override your creations. I am also sorry you have had to deal with people who cannot see beyond the packaging. Nothing Adobe has done (up to the flower) will ever be as horrid as the 'My Computer/ My pictures' crap Billy G has foisted on us...I somehow can picture this in 'serious' places like CIA hqtrs or at NASA and the scenario is so ludicrous I have to laugh.
    Kohnitz@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    In the taskbar (windows) it is easier to find Ai Venus or Photoshop eye than a flower(etc). Quark is doing the same mistake replacing their old icon.
    When you have a lot of icons on a taskbar an icon shoud have personality.
    Fernando_Berga@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Fernando:

    I agree. 90% of my icons are alternatives I picked by their character.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  8. #8

    You know, nobody who has any impact on branding decisions reads User to User Forums. I'm not sure where one would usefully address such a request, but it isn't here.
    Teri Guest