Professional Web Applications Themes

can you post just one page of your website using http? - Web Design

I need to do small updates from time to time and don't want to upload the entire site every time. Any suggestions?...

  1. #1

    Default can you post just one page of your website using http?

    I need to do small updates from time to time and don't want to upload the entire site every time. Any suggestions?
    Damzish Guest

  2. #2

    Incremental uploading introduced in version 2003 -
    [url]www.davidbartosik.com/pub11.htm[/url]

    --
    David Bartosik - MS MVP
    for Publisher help:

    "Damzish" <Damzishdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I need to do small updates from time to time and don't want to upload the
    entire site every time. Any suggestions?

    David Bartosik - MS MVP Guest

  3. #3

    Actually, it is possible to do manual incremental upolading as well. I do it
    all the time with Publisher 2000. I would not live long enough to upload my
    entire site each time I made minor changes on a dialup connection (it would take
    several hours each time). What I do is us an FTP client, and only upload the
    files and/or directories I change. You must remember to upload any graphics
    elements you change also, but if the changes are text-only, you generally need
    upload only the particular .html file you changed. Works like a charm.

    analog@logwell.com Guest

  4. #4

    I performed these actions:

    opened the Pub2003 Site on my desktop. Went to File and selected "publish to the web". Typed in the 4th page file name x.htm. When I tested the change, there was no difference, however, I noticed that the entire site was uploaded just with the new name that I had typed. I checked the allow incremental upload space. It had been selected all along. What am I doing wrong?

  5. #5

    Apparently you are misunderstanding how it works, what it does.
    You don't/can't specify a page(s) to upload.
    With incremental uploading turned on Pub writes a tracking file on the
    server, with each publish it updates that file and compares it to the
    doent.
    You still publish the same way as you do with the option off.
    The only difference is invisible to you.
    The difference being that Publisher will compare files and see that only
    changed ones need to be "re" uploaded.
    It typically takes 3 -4 uploads before that is fully functional as the first
    publish creates the tracking file, and then that tracking file needs to be
    built up.

  6. #6

    Damzish wrote:
    > *I performed these actions:
    >
    > opened the Pub2003 Site on my desktop. Went to File and selecte
    > "publish to the web". Typed in the 4th page file name x.htm.
    > When I tested the change, there was no difference, however, I notice
    > that the entire site was uploaded just with the new n
    > ame that I had typed. I checked the allow incremental upload space
    > It had been selected all along. What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > "Damzish" wrote:
    >
    > > I need to do small updates from time to time and don't want t
    > upload the entire site every time. Any suggestions? *
    Damzish,

    First you have to enable the incremental upload. If you haven't, the
    go to tools/options/web/check off "incremental publish to web". Pres
    OK.

    Finally, you have to upload via ftp from the publisher 2003 web site
    You can't do it from a 3rd party ftp program. Won't work otherwise. I
    you need help setting up the ftp program from ms publisher 2003, le
    me know and I will outline it - in simpler terms than microsoft does.
    get lost with their explanations.

    If you upload from publisher 2003 to your ISP, then the incrementa
    aspect takes over automatically and really cuts down on the tim
    factor.

    RJ

    -
    RJ

    RJT Guest

  7. #7

    I would do that but apparently, the forms created in Pub wont' work unless you upload HTTP. David any comments?

    "RJT" wrote:

    > Damzish wrote:
    > > *I performed these actions:
    > >
    > > opened the Pub2003 Site on my desktop. Went to File and selected
    > > "publish to the web". Typed in the 4th page file name x.htm.
    > > When I tested the change, there was no difference, however, I noticed
    > > that the entire site was uploaded just with the new n
    > > ame that I had typed. I checked the allow incremental upload space.
    > > It had been selected all along. What am I doing wrong?
    > >
    > > "Damzish" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I need to do small updates from time to time and don't want to
    > > upload the entire site every time. Any suggestions? *
    >
    > Damzish,
    >
    > First you have to enable the incremental upload. If you haven't, then
    > go to tools/options/web/check off "incremental publish to web". Press
    > OK.
    >
    > Finally, you have to upload via ftp from the publisher 2003 web site.
    > You can't do it from a 3rd party ftp program. Won't work otherwise. If
    > you need help setting up the ftp program from ms publisher 2003, let
    > me know and I will outline it - in simpler terms than microsoft does. I
    > get lost with their explanations.
    >
    > If you upload from publisher 2003 to your ISP, then the incremental
    > aspect takes over automatically and really cuts down on the time
    > factor.
    >
    > RJT
    >

    > --
    > RJT

    Damzish Guest

  8. #8

    Forms require http publishing.

    --

    > I would do that but apparently, the forms created in Pub wont' work unless
    you upload HTTP. David any comments?

    > "RJT" wrote:
    >

    > > Damzish wrote:
    > > > *I performed these actions:
    > > >
    > > > opened the Pub2003 Site on my desktop. Went to File and selected
    > > > "publish to the web". Typed in the 4th page file name x.htm.
    > > > When I tested the change, there was no difference, however, I noticed
    > > > that the entire site was uploaded just with the new n
    > > > ame that I had typed. I checked the allow incremental upload space.
    > > > It had been selected all along. What am I doing wrong?

    > > > upload the entire site every time. Any suggestions? *
    > >
    > > Damzish,
    > >
    > > First you have to enable the incremental upload. If you haven't, then
    > > go to tools/options/web/check off "incremental publish to web". Press
    > > OK.
    > >
    > > Finally, you have to upload via ftp from the publisher 2003 web site.
    > > You can't do it from a 3rd party ftp program. Won't work otherwise. If
    > > you need help setting up the ftp program from ms publisher 2003, let
    > > me know and I will outline it - in simpler terms than microsoft does. I
    > > get lost with their explanations.
    > >
    > > If you upload from publisher 2003 to your ISP, then the incremental
    > > aspect takes over automatically and really cuts down on the time
    > > factor.
    > >
    > > RJT
    > >

    > > --
    > > RJT