Professional Web Applications Themes

Cannont edit pages due to someone else - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

There are certain pages that I'm trying to edit. When I click on the page and pop-up message appears and says "you canno't edit because someone else is" but there isn't anyone else editing. How do you unlock the pages so that I can edit them? This is so frustrating!!!! I'm taking over the maintenance of this site from someone else and I cannot update the appropriate pages!! Please, any advice or help would be appreciated! Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Cannont edit pages due to someone else

    There are certain pages that I'm trying to edit. When I click on the page and
    pop-up message appears and says "you canno't edit because someone else is" but
    there isn't anyone else editing. How do you unlock the pages so that I can
    edit them? This is so frustrating!!!! I'm taking over the maintenance of this
    site from someone else and I cannot update the appropriate pages!! Please, any
    advice or help would be appreciated! Thanks

    editorneedhelp Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cannont edit pages due to someone else

    I have found when that happens that someone created a draft on their machine.
    As a result until the draft is either deleted from the machine or published to
    the website you can't do anything with it.

    Find out who has access at their machines and then see if they started to edit
    a page, which would create a draft on their machine, and then didn't publish
    the page. The person probably forgot and so the page is locked.

    Hope this helps.

    Dobies Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you so much! I'll try that....
    editorneedhelp Guest

  4. #4

    that's not working. Is there any way to override the system? She doesn't use
    Contribute anymore. If she deleted it from her computer would that unlock
    pages? I believe I'm an administrator so I don't understand how to override it
    somehow. Any other suggestions?

    editorneedhelp Guest

  5. #5

    Get en FTP program (Filezilla f.i.) and delete the files on the server that are
    called: nameoffpageyoucantedit.LCK.

    These are files with just a username and an emailaddress in it, so you will
    not delete any site content, but the pages will be editable again after
    removing the lock-files (.LCK).

    ThinkInk Guest

  6. #6

    Thank you so much for your advice and help I really appreciate it. One
    question though, is this something that I can do now or is it something that
    the person before me (since it is her name that the message is saying is
    editing) does she need to delete the LCK files from her end?

    editorneedhelp Guest