Professional Web Applications Themes

cannot boot 5.3 after power failure - major bug? - FreeBSD

Hello, While testing 5.3, I deliberately cut power to the box and powered up. Much to my surprise, I receive the following error: error 16 lba invalid format FreeBSD/i386 boot Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel boot: No /kernel FreeBSD/i386 boot Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel boot: The disk is/was formatted as UFS2 (dangerously dedicated) with softupdates. If I enter a command, nothing happens: FreeBSD/i386 boot Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel boot:fsck -y FreeBSD/i386 boot Default: 0:ad(0,a)fsck boot: If I enter a question mark, I get a listing of the root filesystem's contents. (If the disk format were truly unknown, how is this possible?) This problem appears to be identical ...

  1. #1

    Default cannot boot 5.3 after power failure - major bug?

[...]

    This problem appears to be identical to the one posted by cell
    on 3/14/05, so this would seem to be a repeatable problem.
    Because this is a test box, I could just flatten it and
    reinstall, I would rather do a graceful recovery. Any
    suggestions on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.
    Note: Any suggestions involving using Release Disc 2 are
    problematic. For some reason, the iso will not burn; the process
    hangs immediately. I downloaded it from four different sites,
    including ftp.freebsd.org with identical results. (The other
    three disc images burn correctly.)

    Thanks for your time,

    stheg

    http://smallbusiness./resources/
    stheg Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: cannot boot 5.3 after power failure - major bug?

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:32:41 -0800 (PST), stheg olloydson
    <com> wrote:

    error 16 lba = 0x10 Uncorrectable CRC/ECC error

    Yup you did it the booting process can't find the kernel to boot.

    You can enter commands relevant to the booting process it is not a
    shell or something like that.

    A question mark "?" Give a short listing of the files in the root
    directory of the default boot device, as a hint about available boot
    files.

    Well you can try to boot manually it may work. type the following at
    the boot prompt

    0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
    OR
    0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel

    If it works the you might have a chance to fix the problem. Somehow I
    seem to have forgoten what to do next. I'll check the handbook !!!

    --
    Kind regards
    Abu Khaled

  3. #3

    > Well you can try to boot manually it may work. type the following at

    Ooops I guess the last one is 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel
    Sorry

    --
    Kind regards
    Abu Khaled

  4. #4

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 06:23:32 +0200, Abu Khaled <com> wrote:

    > Ooops I guess the last one is 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel
    > Sorry
    >[/ref]

    Oh man I hat keyboard shortcuts. just pasted the wrong one again.

    0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel Yup this is the one... I hope

    --
    Kind regards
    Abu Khaled

  5. #5

    it was said:

    >>Ooops I guess the last one is 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel
    >>Sorry
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >Oh man I hat keyboard shortcuts. just pasted the wrong one
    >again.
    >
    >0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel Yup this is the one... I hope[/ref]

    Hello,

    Thanks for the reply. I had tried that and kept getting the
    "invalid format" error. I am puzzled by the fact that I can get
    a directory list, but the boot loader thinks the format is
    wrong. Also it seems to be looking in /kernel and not
    /boot/kernel/.
    To work around the Disk 2 problem, I downloaded FreeSBIE and ran
    fsck from that. / reports as clean, but the box still does not
    boot. /usr and /home report HUGE numbers of uncorrectable errors
    and bad blocks. Tonight I am going to run SpinRite on the disk
    to see if the power outage really damaged the disk. (If it did,
    this will be the first time since the MFM/RLL disk days!)
    I will report the result of that test. Right now, I am thinking
    a power loss shutdown of 5.3 makes a system unrecoverable, but
    more of these tests are required before reaching that
    conclusion.

    Thanks,

  6. #6

    it was said:

    > > type the
    > > 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel
    > > wrong one
    > > one... I hope
    > >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply. I had tried that and kept
    > > getting the
    > > "invalid format" error. I am puzzled by the fact
    > > that I can get
    > > a directory list, but the boot loader thinks the
    > > format is
    > > wrong. Also it seems to be looking in /kernel and
    > > not
    > > /boot/kernel/.
    > > To work around the Disk 2 problem, I downloaded
    > > FreeSBIE and ran
    > > fsck from that. / reports as clean, but the box
    > > still does not
    > > boot. /usr and /home report HUGE numbers of
    > > uncorrectable errors
    > > and bad blocks. Tonight I am going to run SpinRite
    > > on the disk
    > > to see if the power outage really damaged the disk.
    > > (If it did,
    > > this will be the first time since the MFM/RLL disk
    > > days!)
    > > I will report the result of that test. Right now, I
    > > am thinking
    > > a power loss shutdown of 5.3 makes a system
    > > unrecoverable, but
    > > more of these tests are required before reaching
    > > that
    > > conclusion.[/ref]
    >
    > Actually - I'd have to contradict that. I've been
    > running 5.3 on my fileserver on the home network, and
    > during the last few nasty storms my UPS didn't
    > survive, and died off 5 times in a week (yes, I
    > replaced it), and each time FreeBSD came back up like
    > a champ - no lost files (that I could find.. .yet) or
    > anything! <knocks on wood>.
    >
    > [/ref]

    Hello,

    Thanks for that information. I have reached that conclusion
    myself based on two more tests. Both those times the system came
    up fine.
    The time the system did break is very strange. I ran a disk
    surface diagnostic and the platters are fine. The strange thing
    is I can mount the drive in another 5.3 system and read the
    files, but I cannot boot up the drive because I get an error
    that says "Invalid Format." Clearly something is broken in the
    boot process such that the process cannot recognize the
    filesystem type eventhough the data (except for some files in
    /var and /home) are intact. This seems to be similar to the
    problem that cell posted about that prompted my test in the
    first place. Odd that such a specific thing should break.
    Oh, well. Not the oddest thing I've seen an OS do by a longshot.

    Best regards,

    stheg

    http://mail.
    stheg Guest

  7. #7

    stheg olloydson wrote:

    stheg,

    Is this a system that has been upgraded? My guess is that your boot
    loader was installed or configured for an earlier version of FreeBSD,
    where /kernel used to be the place to go ... and maybe you just don't
    reboot all the much, or something got knocked loose in the times before
    the power outage. At any rate ... check the handbook for how to replace
    your MBR (typically needed after installing Windows) which might do the
    trick. Otherwise, it is maybe missing some crucial hint from a file
    that got clobbered from the /boot or /kernel directories or something?
    I'd like to think that that will get fixed when you upgrade to 5.4. :)

    (If you really want to know the answer, find a good resource on FreeBSD
    bootstrap process. There have been changes these past few years, so I'm
    pretty sure people have been writing about this ...)

    Best Wishes,
    -danny

    --
    http://dannyman.toldme.com/