Professional Web Applications Themes

Cannot boot "Ran out of input data --system halted" message - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I am running a 750 mhz PIII with 2 hd's and 2 cdroms, no scsi, 384k of ram. I currently run win98 and Redhat 7.3. I am using loadlin as a bootloader. I installed Slackware 9.0 on a new partition (/dev/hdd9) and everything went fine. The install procedure made a bootdisk for me. When booting from the floppy everything starts up fine. However, when trying to boot using loadlin c:\svmlinuz root=/dev/hdd9 ro, I get the error: ran out of input data --System halted This doesn't happen when I boot using Redhat which uses the command loadlin c:\vmlinuz root=/dev/hdd2 ro. Anyways, ...

  1. #1

    Default Cannot boot "Ran out of input data --system halted" message

    I am running a 750 mhz PIII with 2 hd's and 2 cdroms, no scsi, 384k of
    ram. I currently run win98 and Redhat 7.3. I am using loadlin as a
    bootloader.
    I installed Slackware 9.0 on a new partition (/dev/hdd9) and everything
    went fine. The install procedure made a bootdisk for me. When booting
    from the floppy everything starts up fine. However, when trying to boot
    using loadlin c:\svmlinuz root=/dev/hdd9 ro, I get the error:
    ran out of input data

    --System halted
    This doesn't happen when I boot using Redhat which uses the command
    loadlin c:\vmlinuz root=/dev/hdd2 ro.

    Anyways, I'm stumped as to why it will boot from floppy but not from the
    hard drive. All discussion on the topic that I can find on the internet
    is related to Lilo but I don't use it.

    Thanks,
    Zach

    p.s. I tried copying my kernel on /dev/hdd9 to the c: drive, I tried
    copying from the boot floppy to the c: drive, and I tried copying my
    kernel from the /dev/hdd9 location to a floppy to the c: drive just to
    see if it was an incompatible filesystem thing.

    Zachary Barrow Guest

  2. #2

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:27:22 +0000, Zachary Barrow
    <yakuza465hotmail.com> wrote:
    > I am running a 750 mhz PIII with 2 hd's and 2 cdroms, no scsi, 384k of
    > ram. I currently run win98 and Redhat 7.3. I am using loadlin as a
    > bootloader.
    > I installed Slackware 9.0 on a new partition (/dev/hdd9) and everything
    > went fine. The install procedure made a bootdisk for me. When booting
    > from the floppy everything starts up fine. However, when trying to boot
    > using loadlin c:\svmlinuz root=/dev/hdd9 ro, I get the error:
    > ran out of input data
    >
    > --System halted
    > This doesn't happen when I boot using Redhat which uses the command
    > loadlin c:\vmlinuz root=/dev/hdd2 ro.
    >
    > Anyways, I'm stumped as to why it will boot from floppy but not from the
    > hard drive. All discussion on the topic that I can find on the internet
    > is related to Lilo but I don't use it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Zach
    >
    > p.s. I tried copying my kernel on /dev/hdd9 to the c: drive, I tried
    > copying from the boot floppy to the c: drive, and I tried copying my
    > kernel from the /dev/hdd9 location to a floppy to the c: drive just to
    > see if it was an incompatible filesystem thing.

    If you are using the loadlin from Redhat 7.3, you might need a newer
    version.

    --
    It's useless to try to hold some people to anything they say while they're
    madly in love, drunk, or running for office.

  3. #3

    Bill Mar wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:27:22 +0000, Zachary Barrow
    > <yakuza465hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I am running a 750 mhz PIII with 2 hd's and 2 cdroms, no scsi, 384k of
    >>ram. I currently run win98 and Redhat 7.3. I am using loadlin as a
    >>bootloader.
    >>I installed Slackware 9.0 on a new partition (/dev/hdd9) and everything
    >>went fine. The install procedure made a bootdisk for me. When booting
    >>from the floppy everything starts up fine. However, when trying to boot
    >>using loadlin c:\svmlinuz root=/dev/hdd9 ro, I get the error:
    >>ran out of input data
    >>
    >> --System halted
    >>This doesn't happen when I boot using Redhat which uses the command
    >>loadlin c:\vmlinuz root=/dev/hdd2 ro.
    >>
    >>Anyways, I'm stumped as to why it will boot from floppy but not from the
    >>hard drive. All discussion on the topic that I can find on the internet
    >>is related to Lilo but I don't use it.

    It turns out that my version of loadlin doesn't deal with kernels over
    1mb. My RH 7.3 kernel was .98mb, and the slackware one is 1.1mb. I
    have loadlin 1.6c which is supposed to work, but doesn't.

    >>Thanks,
    >>Zach
    >>
    >>p.s. I tried copying my kernel on /dev/hdd9 to the c: drive, I tried
    >>copying from the boot floppy to the c: drive, and I tried copying my
    >>kernel from the /dev/hdd9 location to a floppy to the c: drive just to
    >>see if it was an incompatible filesystem thing.
    >>

    > If you are using the loadlin from Redhat 7.3, you might need a newer
    > version.

    I ended up getting this bootloader called linld which works better. If
    I boot from my startup menu, it goes absolutely nuts, with weird screen
    stuff and never ends up loading. However, if I just exit to a command
    prompt, and type in the same command as I have in the batch file that
    should go from my startup menu, the whole thing loads great. Thanks for
    the info on finding a newer version of loadlin/a new bootloader.

    Zach

    Quasar Guest