Professional Web Applications Themes

Cannot boot solaris CD anymore - Sun Solaris

Try boot cdrom - install "GeffP" <qmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news: f7XLa.18204$0_6.9489news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk... > HELP PLS > After having linux on my ultra 10, for awhile, I decided to go back to > solaris. > Problem, when I type boot cdrom, I get a message saying The file just > loaded does not appear to be an executable. > I've tried it with sol 7,8 and 9. I get the same error message, however > the linux distro boots fine. > > The cdrom drive is a scsi cd-rw. Yet is does work, because I installed > solaris ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Cannot boot solaris CD anymore

    Try boot cdrom - install

    "GeffP" <qmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    f7XLa.18204$0_6.9489news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > HELP PLS
    > After having linux on my ultra 10, for awhile, I decided to go back to
    > solaris.
    > Problem, when I type boot cdrom, I get a message saying The file just
    > loaded does not appear to be an executable.
    > I've tried it with sol 7,8 and 9. I get the same error message, however
    > the linux distro boots fine.
    >
    > The cdrom drive is a scsi cd-rw. Yet is does work, because I installed
    > solaris previouslly using this drive.
    >
    > So any ideas ppl.
    > thanks

    M. Bouherrou Guest

  2. #2

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:49:50 +0100, GeffP wrote:
    > HELP PLS
    > After having linux on my ultra 10, for awhile, I decided to go back to
    > solaris.
    > Problem, when I type boot cdrom, I get a message saying The file just
    > loaded does not appear to be an executable.
    > I've tried it with sol 7,8 and 9. I get the same error message, however
    > the linux distro boots fine.
    Which CD are you trying to boot, the Installation CD or Software CD 1/2?

    Dave Uhring Guest

  3. #3

    M. Bouherrou wrote:
    > Try boot cdrom - install
    >
    > "GeffP" <qmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > f7XLa.18204$0_6.9489news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...
    >
    >>HELP PLS
    >>After having linux on my ultra 10, for awhile, I decided to go back to
    >>solaris.
    >>Problem, when I type boot cdrom, I get a message saying The file just
    >>loaded does not appear to be an executable.
    >>I've tried it with sol 7,8 and 9. I get the same error message, however
    >>the linux distro boots fine.
    >>
    >>The cdrom drive is a scsi cd-rw. Yet is does work, because I installed
    >>solaris previouslly using this drive.
    >>
    >>So any ideas ppl.
    >>thanks

    Nope, still get the same message.

    GeffP Guest

  4. #4

    Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > GeffP <qmail.com> writes:
    >
    >>>"GeffP" <qmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >>>f7XLa.18204$0_6.9489news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...

    >>M. Bouherrou wrote:
    >>
    >>>Try boot cdrom - install
    >>>

    >>Nope, still get the same message.
    >

    > I'd suspect that Linux has messed up your devalias's so that your
    > 'cdrom' alias is not the proper one. Check on your devaliases to make
    > sure that its not trying to boot a file that doesn't exist, and it
    > looks normal.
    Thx, but that does not work, I tried booting by typing boot /pci1.....
    Still the same.

    GeffP Guest

  5. #5

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:49:50 +0100, GeffP wrote:
    >

    >>HELP PLS
    >>After having linux on my ultra 10, for awhile, I decided to go back to
    >>solaris.
    >>Problem, when I type boot cdrom, I get a message saying The file just
    >>loaded does not appear to be an executable.
    >>I've tried it with sol 7,8 and 9. I get the same error message, however
    >>the linux distro boots fine.
    >

    > Which CD are you trying to boot, the Installation CD or Software CD 1/2?

    Tried both. I've also tried from an orginal solaris 7 cd, still the same
    message.

    GeffP Guest

  6. #6

    In comp.unix.solaris GeffP <qmail.com> wrote:
    > Thx, but that does not work, I tried booting by typing boot /pci1.....
    > Still the same.
    That's not the whole line. What's the whole line? Or at least the end
    bits.

    --
    Darren Dunham [email]ddunhamtaos.com[/email]
    Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company

  7. #7

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, GeffP wrote:
    > HELP PLS
    > After having linux on my ultra 10, for awhile, I decided to go back to
    > solaris.
    > Problem, when I type boot cdrom, I get a message saying The file just
    > loaded does not appear to be an executable.
    > I've tried it with sol 7,8 and 9. I get the same error message, however
    > the linux distro boots fine.
    >
    > The cdrom drive is a scsi cd-rw. Yet is does work, because I installed
    > solaris previouslly using this drive.
    >
    > So any ideas ppl.
    > thanks
    go to OBP

    give the command

    set-defaults-all
    reset
    boot cdrom

    dos it still not work?

    /Johan A

    Mr. Johan Andersson Guest

  8. #8

    GeffP <qmail.com> writes:
    >Thx, but that does not work, I tried booting by typing boot /pci1.....
    >Still the same.
    Try to reset the boot prom to the defaults; either by holding down
    "Stop-N" while the system powers on or by typing "set-defaults"
    at the ok prompt.

    That should remove all PROM settings.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.
    Casper H.S. Dik Guest

  9. #9

    GeffP <qmail.com> wrote in message news:<Si%La.380$Gs5.242news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>...
    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:49:50 +0100, GeffP wrote:
    > >

    > >>HELP PLS
    > >>After having linux on my ultra 10, for awhile, I decided to go back to
    > >>solaris.
    > >>Problem, when I type boot cdrom, I get a message saying The file just
    > >>loaded does not appear to be an executable.
    > >>I've tried it with sol 7,8 and 9. I get the same error message, however
    > >>the linux distro boots fine.
    > >

    > > Which CD are you trying to boot, the Installation CD or Software CD 1/2?
    > >
    > Tried both. I've also tried from an orginal solaris 7 cd, still the same
    > message.
    This may be way off-base, but when you ran Linux on the machine did
    you format the disk, removing the Sun label? I'm not smart with Sun
    at all, but I was having the same problem you described. I used fdisk
    to create a sun label on the disk and the OS loaded.
    Mark Guest