Professional Web Applications Themes

"Cannot complete the requested operation" message. - Adobe Illustrator Windows

When I try to start Illustrator CS, about every four or five times, it comes up with the splash screen fine, but then gives me an error message "Cannot complete the requested operation." Usually about the fifth time, however, it starts up fine. It seems like it never works when I want it to, but works when I'm just trying it out to see if it works. Anyone know what might be causing this? Is anybody else experiencing the same thing, or am I all alone in this? --mark--...

  1. #1

    Default "Cannot complete the requested operation" message.

    Mark_Hatting@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50.eed5198.2cd0b46e>
    ®Bert.
    Alexander_Kogan.@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I am getting the same message. I have a student who was able to work on and modify his work within the last 24 hours. The only changes made to the system in the past 3 days was the Mac 10.3.9 system update.

    since that time he has received the "Cannot complete the requested operation" message.

    Here is an example of the error he receives:

    Offending Operator: ','
    Context:

    9 0 XW
    /AI11Text:
    0 /FreeUndo ,
    0 /FrameIndex ,
    -1 /StoryIndex ,

    Any assistance anyone can provide in helping to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    DarrellJones@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I came here to ask the same question. It used to happen the first time, but open on the second try. Today, it will not open at all. Does anyone have an answer?

    Illustrator CS
    2G
    (photoshop and everything else work without a hitch)
    Tried closing all other programs...didn't help.

    Oh...using WinXP
    Bobbee_Valentine@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Similar problem on XP SP1.
    This is the third install that I have done and the problems build with each one. I've also noticed that Photoshop is gaining more and more errors when loading and in general use - is it adobe patches, windows patches? Either way it is extremely annoying especially when it was flawless under the first install
    Mitchell_Thompson@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Read the following thread and follow the links within the thread. One of the suggested solutions may work for you. Be sure to post back with failures and success. Good luck. steve

    "Illustrator CS opens then crashes" #1, 10 Mar 2005 1:46 am </cgi-bin/webx?14.3bb8c1fa/0>
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks Stephen, I'll check it out.
    Bobbee_Valentine@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I deleted the files that the other thread suggested. I was able to open Illustrator for a day. It's back to square one now. Who do I contact at Adobe to help me??
    Bobbee_Valentine@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Bobbee:

    What solutions did you try? steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I went to the link you recommended and deleted all of the files in the post. I find that if I delete the files every day, I can open Illustrator. I suspect it's a font somewhere that's causing this problem, but I have no idea how to pin it down.
    Bobbee_Valentine@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Bobbee, you may try deleting all the files (not folders) in your Illustrator 11 folder (including the AIPrefs).
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Bobbee:

    Which files did you delete- aiprefs, all of the prefs, font lists, and temp files? In the thread I linked to there was another link in post #19, and I think this thread links to others. This problem is common and has multiple causes in addition to corrupt files. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I deleted airprefs and adobefnt.lst. The latter is the one I need to keep deleting.

    I read the post below but have not tried it yet.

    Clear out your TEMP folder(s), log on with Administrator privileges, copy
    the Illustrator folder from the CD to the Hard drive and install from there.

    If that doesn't work, re-boot into Safe Mode and install from the copy now
    on your HDD.
    Bobbee_Valentine@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    I have same problem CS2 and deleting pref doesn't do a thing. I am going to purchase a font Program and try that. what are considered system fonts?
    Sean_Tatalovich@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    There are several solutions in this thread. steve

    Click here- Stephen Fish, "Illustrator CS2 startup issue" #1, 1 Oct 2005 3:05 am </cgi-bin/webx?14.3bbc9e16/0>
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest