Professional Web Applications Themes

Cannot connect to db - ASP.NET Security

The easiest thing to do is to use the design view in VS.net for ASP.net. Select the Server control panel and drag and drop the connection you want from there... this will allow you to correctly set up the connection and view tables etc with in that database before you even compile/run your program, so that when you do, you know the connection is nothing to worry about. I noticed there's no password field in your connection string, does your connection require one? good luck. "John Giblin" <jwgiblin3hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eru$Ta6SDHA.1868TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I have written both a asp.net and ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Cannot connect to db

    The easiest thing to do is to use the design view in VS.net for ASP.net.

    Select the Server control panel and drag and drop the connection you want
    from there... this will allow you to correctly set up the connection and
    view tables etc with in that database before you even compile/run your
    program, so that when you do, you know the connection is nothing to worry
    about.

    I noticed there's no password field in your connection string, does your
    connection require one?

    good luck.

    "John Giblin" <jwgiblin3hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have written both a asp.net and a console program where I am trying to
    > connection to a db.
    >
    > When I use the sqlconnection using vs.net 2003. I am able to see the table
    > and the test the connection
    >
    > When I run my program I get an error! ARGh!
    >
    > In my console program I get:
    > Error Request for the permission of type
    > System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientPermission, System.Data,
    Version=1.0.5000.0,
    > Cul
    > ture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 failed.
    >
    > In my asp.net i get this:
    > Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccesception: Access is denied.
    >
    > It fails at the open():
    > Console program
    >
    > string strConnect = "workstation id=NYCNJGIBLIN;packet size=4096;user
    > id=jgiblin;data source=ewr1gpdsq" +
    >
    > "l;persist security info=False"; }
    >
    > SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(strConnect);
    >
    > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand("Select * from Content_Master", conn);
    >
    > // cmd.Connection = new SqlConnection(strConnect);
    >
    > // cmd.CommandText = "Content_Master_Update";
    >
    > cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text;
    >
    > test = "Step 2";
    >
    > test = "Step 3";
    >
    > conn.Open();

    dj Bass Guest

  2. #2

    The easiest thing to do is to use the design view in VS.net for ASP.net.

    Select the Server control panel and drag and drop the connection you want
    from there... this will allow you to correctly set up the connection and
    view tables etc with in that database before you even compile/run your
    program, so that when you do, you know the connection is nothing to worry
    about.

    I noticed there's no password field in your connection string, does your
    connection require one?

    good luck.

    "John Giblin" <jwgiblin3hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have written both a asp.net and a console program where I am trying to
    > connection to a db.
    >
    > When I use the sqlconnection using vs.net 2003. I am able to see the table
    > and the test the connection
    >
    > When I run my program I get an error! ARGh!
    >
    > In my console program I get:
    > Error Request for the permission of type
    > System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientPermission, System.Data,
    Version=1.0.5000.0,
    > Cul
    > ture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 failed.
    >
    > In my asp.net i get this:
    > Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccesception: Access is denied.
    >
    > It fails at the open():
    > Console program
    >
    > string strConnect = "workstation id=NYCNJGIBLIN;packet size=4096;user
    > id=jgiblin;data source=ewr1gpdsq" +
    >
    > "l;persist security info=False"; }
    >
    > SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(strConnect);
    >
    > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand("Select * from Content_Master", conn);
    >
    > // cmd.Connection = new SqlConnection(strConnect);
    >
    > // cmd.CommandText = "Content_Master_Update";
    >
    > cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text;
    >
    > test = "Step 2";
    >
    > test = "Step 3";
    >
    > conn.Open();

    dj Bass Guest

  3. #3

    I just forgot that in that try. No affect. Still cannot connect. It seems
    like a configuration on my mchine since it worked for someone else with the
    same code

    John

    John Giblin Guest

  4. #4

    I just forgot that in that try. No affect. Still cannot connect. It seems
    like a configuration on my mchine since it worked for someone else with the
    same code

    John
    "Jon Yates" <DontSpamme.com> wrote in message
    > Hello mate.
    >
    > In your connection string you may need to supply the
    > Username and Password to the Database. I've pasted in the
    > connection sring that I use from within a Windows App to
    > connection to a SQLServer 2000 DB.
    >
    > Hope it helps,
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > "Provider=sqloledb;data source=SUNWL19655\NetSDK;initial
    > catalog=Portal; user id=sa; password="

    John Giblin Guest

  5. #5

    if it's taken from another machine, then the things you need to check out
    are the domains for the database boxes you're trying to access... does the
    network machine exist with the same mappings as on the original PC? if it's
    a different database instance, then you should probably start the connection
    from scratch again.

    i still say try the design view, you see more happening there in front of
    you without worry about strings of info...

    Dan.

    > I just forgot that in that try. No affect. Still cannot connect. It
    seems
    > like a configuration on my mchine since it worked for someone else with
    the
    > same code
    >
    > John
    > "Jon Yates" <DontSpamme.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello mate.
    > >
    > > In your connection string you may need to supply the
    > > Username and Password to the Database. I've pasted in the
    > > connection sring that I use from within a Windows App to
    > > connection to a SQLServer 2000 DB.
    > >
    > > Hope it helps,
    > >
    > > Jon
    > >
    > > "Provider=sqloledb;data source=SUNWL19655\NetSDK;initial
    > > catalog=Portal; user id=sa; password="

    dj Bass Guest

  6. #6

    if it's taken from another machine, then the things you need to check out
    are the domains for the database boxes you're trying to access... does the
    network machine exist with the same mappings as on the original PC? if it's
    a different database instance, then you should probably start the connection
    from scratch again.

    i still say try the design view, you see more happening there in front of
    you without worry about strings of info...

    Dan.

    "John Giblin" <jwgiblin3hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I just forgot that in that try. No affect. Still cannot connect. It
    seems
    > like a configuration on my mchine since it worked for someone else with
    the
    > same code
    >
    > John
    > "Jon Yates" <DontSpamme.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello mate.
    > >
    > > In your connection string you may need to supply the
    > > Username and Password to the Database. I've pasted in the
    > > connection sring that I use from within a Windows App to
    > > connection to a SQLServer 2000 DB.
    > >
    > > Hope it helps,
    > >
    > > Jon
    > >
    > > "Provider=sqloledb;data source=SUNWL19655\NetSDK;initial
    > > catalog=Portal; user id=sa; password="

    dj Bass Guest

  7. #7

    Like I said. I used the VS.net to create the connection string and I was
    able to view the databases. I also used the test connection, which worked

    What I need to know, is what the differences are between, the vs.net env and
    asp. I have intergrated security on that server and in the webinfo file,
    impersonate is set to false ( I have played with that either way)

    Do I need the latest mdac? and why would the console program not work.

    John

    John Giblin Guest

  8. #8

    Like I said. I used the VS.net to create the connection string and I was
    able to view the databases. I also used the test connection, which worked

    What I need to know, is what the differences are between, the vs.net env and
    asp. I have intergrated security on that server and in the webinfo file,
    impersonate is set to false ( I have played with that either way)

    Do I need the latest mdac? and why would the console program not work.

    John
    "dj Bass" <spanz_zahotmail.com> wrote in message
    > if it's taken from another machine, then the things you need to check out
    > are the domains for the database boxes you're trying to access... does the
    > network machine exist with the same mappings as on the original PC? if
    it's
    > a different database instance, then you should probably start the
    connection
    > from scratch again.
    >
    > i still say try the design view, you see more happening there in front of
    > you without worry about strings of info...
    >
    > Dan.
    >
    > "John Giblin" <jwgiblin3hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I just forgot that in that try. No affect. Still cannot connect. It
    > seems
    > > like a configuration on my mchine since it worked for someone else with
    > the
    > > same code
    > >
    > > John
    > > "Jon Yates" <DontSpamme.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hello mate.
    > > >
    > > > In your connection string you may need to supply the
    > > > Username and Password to the Database. I've pasted in the
    > > > connection sring that I use from within a Windows App to
    > > > connection to a SQLServer 2000 DB.
    > > >
    > > > Hope it helps,
    > > >
    > > > Jon
    > > >
    > > > "Provider=sqloledb;data source=SUNWL19655\NetSDK;initial
    > > > catalog=Portal; user id=sa; password="

    John Giblin Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks everyone for you help. I figured out the problem.

    I just updated the MDAC on the server to the latest.

    Thanks Everyone

    "John Giblin" <jwgiblin3hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have written both a asp.net and a console program where I am trying to
    > connection to a db.
    >
    > When I use the sqlconnection using vs.net 2003. I am able to see the table
    > and the test the connection
    >
    > When I run my program I get an error! ARGh!
    >
    > In my console program I get:
    > Error Request for the permission of type
    > System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientPermission, System.Data,
    Version=1.0.5000.0,
    > Cul
    > ture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 failed.
    >
    > In my asp.net i get this:
    > Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccesception: Access is denied.
    >
    > It fails at the open():
    > Console program
    >
    > string strConnect = "workstation id=NYCNJGIBLIN;packet size=4096;user
    > id=jgiblin;data source=ewr1gpdsq" +
    >
    > "l;persist security info=False"; }
    >
    > SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(strConnect);
    >
    > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand("Select * from Content_Master", conn);
    >
    > // cmd.Connection = new SqlConnection(strConnect);
    >
    > // cmd.CommandText = "Content_Master_Update";
    >
    > cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text;
    >
    > test = "Step 2";
    >
    > test = "Step 3";
    >
    > conn.Open();

    John Giblin Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks everyone for you help. I figured out the problem.

    I just updated the MDAC on the server to the latest.

    Thanks Everyone

    "John Giblin" <jwgiblin3hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have written both a asp.net and a console program where I am trying to
    > connection to a db.
    >
    > When I use the sqlconnection using vs.net 2003. I am able to see the table
    > and the test the connection
    >
    > When I run my program I get an error! ARGh!
    >
    > In my console program I get:
    > Error Request for the permission of type
    > System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientPermission, System.Data,
    Version=1.0.5000.0,
    > Cul
    > ture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 failed.
    >
    > In my asp.net i get this:
    > Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccesception: Access is denied.
    >
    > It fails at the open():
    > Console program
    >
    > string strConnect = "workstation id=NYCNJGIBLIN;packet size=4096;user
    > id=jgiblin;data source=ewr1gpdsq" +
    >
    > "l;persist security info=False"; }
    >
    > SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(strConnect);
    >
    > SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand("Select * from Content_Master", conn);
    >
    > // cmd.Connection = new SqlConnection(strConnect);
    >
    > // cmd.CommandText = "Content_Master_Update";
    >
    > cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text;
    >
    > test = "Step 2";
    >
    > test = "Step 3";
    >
    > conn.Open();