Professional Web Applications Themes

cannot copy necessary linked files message appears - Adobe Indesign Windows

I am running 2.01 and have package for hand off many times, in fact I packaged a number of the sections yesterday. Today for some unkown reason I keep getting "cannot copy necessary linked files". I have watched at which point stops, it saves the doents put generates the message in the next process. Have I toggled something off?? I have not touched the pictures today at all. When I preflight no cautions come up so I am not to sure why this is happening. The only changes I made were to the text files. As I need to hand ...

  1. #1

    Default cannot copy necessary linked files message appears

    I am running 2.01 and have package for hand off many times, in fact I packaged a number of the sections yesterday. Today for some unkown reason I keep getting "cannot copy necessary linked files".
    I have watched at which point stops, it saves the doents put generates the message in the next process. Have I toggled something off??
    I have not touched the pictures today at all. When I preflight no cautions come up so I am not to sure why this is happening.
    The only changes I made were to the text files.
    As I need to hand off to the printer I need some suggestions as to what to try to package. Will try anything.
    joan_demetr@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Just an update this morning. I am still unable to package any sections that contain picture links, of our catalogue. Not even the ones I did yesterday. I am really in need of help as I am to be sending the last half to the printer today to meet our deadline. Any suggestion on what to try would be appreciated.
    joan_demetr@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Start by throwing away your preferences. (If you don't know how, search for Preferences in InDesign Help.)
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    This may sound obvious, but check your disk space. I had the same thing happen when packaging a catalogue, but I was just running out of room on my drive.
    Michael_Savage@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I had the exact same problem, I could package one InDesign doc and not another. Here's what I discovered in my case. I had a linked file with a filename with a colon in it. This was a file sent from a Mac to my PC and since you can't use a colon in a PC filename every time the packaging got to that point it would fail with the "cannot copy necessary linked files" message. I renamed the file and relinked it and everything went smoothly from then on. So the first thing I'd do is look at your linked files list and see if there are any strange characters in the filenames...once you fix those it should fix your problem.

    Good luck!
    Unregistered Guest

  6. #6

    I was having the same problems with a file today also. Check to see if one or more links has a backslash in the name, take out that character in the file name relink and try packaging again.

    Good luck!
    Unregistered Guest

  7. #7

    Lightbulb cannot copy necessary linked files message appears

    I was having the same problem, I had a very large file to package so I thought it may have been the space but it was that I had 2 linked files with a / in them.

    2 Days it took me to realise!!!
    Unregistered Guest

  8. #8

    You are my new best friend...
    I was having the very same problem only my linked file had a / instead of a :
    THANKS!
    Carrie Przeslak is offline Junior Member
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1

  9. #9

    Thanks! Had the same issue and the backslash removal did the trick.
    Unregistered Guest

  10. #10

    Thank you I had a file with "" and /
    Unregistered Guest

  11. #11

    Had the same issue. Turned out to be backslashes in filenames. Removed those and relinked. Worked perfectly!
    Unregistered Guest

  12. #12

    Thanks! One of the linked files in my doc had a slash (filename_a/w) - changed the filename removing offending slash - relinked to new file - packaging works!

    Thank you!
    Unregistered Guest

  13. #13

    Worked for me! Thank you!
    Unregistered Guest

  14. #14

    Worked for me, too - one of my links had a comma in it. Thanks!
    Unregistered Guest

  15. #15

    Talking Re: cannot copy necessary linked files message appears

    This is what I did renamed the doent as well as relinked it as well as every thing gone without problems following that. Therefore first thing I'd personally accomplish can be have a look at ones joined records record and see in case you'll find just about any unusual figures in the filenames... as soon as you correct those it will correct your problem.
    Long Path Tool helped me in this situation. http://PathTooDeep.com

    Good luck!
    GabrielNar Guest