Professional Web Applications Themes

Cannot create JavaScript popup menu with Show Popup Menuusing Add Behaviors - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

Whenever I load a page with this added behavior and test it with my link, I get an "Error on Page" message. Here is what I am doing: Create a new HTML page in Dreamweaver 8.0.2 and save it. Add a hyperlink from the Insert -> Hyperlink menu. Don't put anything in it except some sample text; "THIS IS A TEST", or something. Select the hyperlink and choose "Show Popup Menu" from the Tag Behaviors tab "+" menu. The dialog will come up. Add just one item and add a page to link to. Don't change any of the other ...

  1. #1

    Default Cannot create JavaScript popup menu with Show Popup Menuusing Add Behaviors

    Whenever I load a page with this added behavior and test it with my link, I get
    an "Error on Page" message.

    Here is what I am doing:

    Create a new HTML page in Dreamweaver 8.0.2 and save it.

    Add a hyperlink from the Insert -> Hyperlink menu. Don't put anything in it
    except some sample text; "THIS IS A TEST", or something.

    Select the hyperlink and choose "Show Popup Menu" from the Tag Behaviors tab
    "+" menu. The dialog will come up.

    Add just one item and add a page to link to. Don't change any of the other
    options. Click OK to close the dialog and code will be added to the page.

    Save the HTML page again and hit F12 to load the page to your test server and
    display it in a browser.

    Roll your mouse over the test link. Nothing happens and there is a message in
    the Status Bar at the bottom of the browser, "Error on Page".

    wizbang Guest

  2. #2

    > Select the hyperlink and choose "Show Popup Menu" from the Tag Behaviors
    > tab
    > "+" menu. The dialog will come up.
    Never, ever, use these pop-up menus. Never. Ever.
    > Roll your mouse over the test link. Nothing happens and there is a
    > message in
    > the Status Bar at the bottom of the browser, "Error on Page".
    Show me the page.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "wizbang" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Whenever I load a page with this added behavior and test it with my link,
    > I get
    > an "Error on Page" message.
    >
    > Here is what I am doing:
    >
    > Create a new HTML page in Dreamweaver 8.0.2 and save it.
    >
    > Add a hyperlink from the Insert -> Hyperlink menu. Don't put anything in
    > it
    > except some sample text; "THIS IS A TEST", or something.
    >
    > Select the hyperlink and choose "Show Popup Menu" from the Tag Behaviors
    > tab
    > "+" menu. The dialog will come up.
    >
    > Add just one item and add a page to link to. Don't change any of the
    > other
    > options. Click OK to close the dialog and code will be added to the page.
    >
    > Save the HTML page again and hit F12 to load the page to your test server
    > and
    > display it in a browser.
    >
    > Roll your mouse over the test link. Nothing happens and there is a
    > message in
    > the Status Bar at the bottom of the browser, "Error on Page".

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  3. #3

    Ever.<hr></blockquote>

    Why not? Is the feature broken?

    <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge
    href="http://symbiota.brinkster.net/TEST/JavaMenu2.html

    I">[url]http://symbiota.brinkster.net/TEST/JavaMenu2.html[/url]

    I</a> have not uploaded any images, but these will give you an idea of what is
    going on, especially the first.

    wizbang Guest

  4. #4

    > Why not? Is the feature broken?

    [url]http://apptools.com/rants/jsmenu.php[/url]
    [url]http://apptools.com/rants/menus.php[/url]

    You have not uploaded this file -

    <script language="JavaScript" src="mm_menu.js"></script>

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

  5. #5

    OK, that works. I did see the source file listed there, but I assumed that
    Dreamweaver would upload the file along with the HTML file to be tested on my
    testing server. Usually I am prompted to upload all the dependent files. Is
    there a setting out or does dreamweaver miss this link?

    I am sold on the convictions explained in the rants you linked, but only after
    I see that the Dreamweaver menus do work. It is not completely necessary for
    my users to be completely dependent on my menus, they are a layout device only.

    Since I have your ear, maybe you could tell me something in advance of my
    attempting it: Is it possible to generate JavaScript using PHP? I would like
    to include JavaScript as a part of MySQL records displayed with PHP. Is there
    another solution possible from PHP? I'll guess ASP has a solution already and
    maybe Flash too.

    Here is the kind of page I am working on:

    <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge
    href="http://www.symbiota.com/MiloTrial/Witnesses.php

    I">[url]http://www.symbiota.com/MiloTrial/Witnesses.php[/url]

    I</a> would like to see a popup menu for each trial where the number of
    witnesses is less than 10 to save a user the trouble of opening a whole new
    page just to see a list of ten names.

    wizbang Guest

  6. #6

    > OK, that works. I did see the source file listed there, but I assumed
    > that
    > Dreamweaver would upload the file along with the HTML file to be tested on
    > my
    > testing server. Usually I am prompted to upload all the dependent files.
    > Is
    > there a setting out or does dreamweaver miss this link?
    It's possible you checked the "don't show me this" checkbox before clicking
    NO. That would do it. You can reset that under PREFERENCES | Site.
    > but only after
    > I see that the Dreamweaver menus do work.
    Why bother. They work - see [url]http://www.great-web-sights.com/library4d.html[/url]
    (the child menu images are not being found - I didn't care to track down
    why). This page illustrates how to use them with Library items. In
    addition, the textarea captures the HTML that is written to the page each
    time such a page is loaded....
    > Is it possible to generate JavaScript using PHP?
    Sure. The PHP executes on the server, and the javascript would be on the
    page when it is fetched.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

  7. #7

    My problem is related. Here is my workflow in DW8.02

    Build a dwt template file and add a nav bar using images.
    Insert > Hyperlink one of the images to ###.
    Open Tag > Behavior --- Show Pop-up Menu is not active.

    Creating a plain htm page not linked to the template allows me to do this.
    Why not on the dwt page?

    Thanks

    ray@raywebprojects.com Guest

  8. #8

    > Open Tag > Behavior --- Show Pop-up Menu is not active.

    Yes. That's because (as I've said here since DMX days) these pop-up menus
    are NOT compatible with templates.
    > Why not on the dwt page?
    Because of the absurd way that the menus have been implemented.

    Please, please, please, give up any notion you had of using these menus, and
    select something that works reliably with templates or non-templates alike.

    Check the uberlink and MacFly tutorials at PVII
    ([url]http://www.projectseven.com/[/url])

    and the Navbar tutorial/articles at Thierry's place
    ([url]http://tjkdesign.com/navbars/[/url])

    Or to get it done fast, go here -

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/navigation/auto_hide/index.htm[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "rayraywebprojects.com" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > My problem is related. Here is my workflow in DW8.02
    >
    > Build a dwt template file and add a nav bar using images.
    > Insert > Hyperlink one of the images to ###.
    > Open Tag > Behavior --- Show Pop-up Menu is not active.
    >
    > Creating a plain htm page not linked to the template allows me to do this.
    > Why not on the dwt page?
    >
    > Thanks

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks - I'll check out these links.
    ray@raywebprojects.com Guest

  10. #10

    Good luck. You'll find much more support for those approaches than you will
    for the DW/FW ones since the only people who use the latter are those who
    don't know better! 8(

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert