Professional Web Applications Themes

"cannot find server or DNS error" after installing 1394 card in XP system - Windows Networking

After intalling a 1394 firewire card in my xp machine, IE can no longer connect to the internet. Even after I remove the card and uninstall it from the device manager, IE still cannot connect and only returns the message "cannot find server or DNS error." To get IE to work again, I have to do a system restore (after removing the 1394 card of course.) I've talked with the dsl provider, the system manufacturer, and the 1394 card manufacturer, and checked for conflicts and other settings, uninstalled/reinstalled both LAN and 1394 in all combinations, even tried running "sfc /scannow" ...

  1. #1

    Default "cannot find server or DNS error" after installing 1394 card in XP system

    After intalling a 1394 firewire card in my xp machine, IE
    can no longer connect to the internet. Even after I
    remove the card and uninstall it from the device manager,
    IE still cannot connect and only returns the
    message "cannot find server or DNS error." To get IE to
    work again, I have to do a system restore (after removing
    the 1394 card of course.) I've talked with the dsl
    provider, the system manufacturer, and the 1394 card
    manufacturer, and checked for conflicts and other
    settings, uninstalled/reinstalled both LAN and 1394 in all
    combinations, even tried running "sfc /scannow" to repair
    IE, but so far no improvement. I also tried a different
    1394 card and got the same behavior.

    The dsl guys were about to ping to my machine and I was
    able to ping to a numeric IP address, but not to an
    address spelled out, like .

    From searching various forums like this I've heard of a
    similar problem with 98, where uninstalling dial up
    networking, deleting some items from the registry, and
    then reinstalling dial up networking fixed the problem.
    But so far I haven't been able to figure out how to
    uninstall dial up networking from xp, and I don't know if
    this is really the problem anyway.

    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Jon Jasper Guest

  2. #2

    I have a very simialr problem, nslookup works fine, but IE
    or ping (or any other application) cannot resolve the
    hostnames to IP addresses.

    However, nslookup google.com and then enter the IP address
    into IE and it works.

    I have also uninstalled and reinstalled, tried 3 network
    cards and still the same problem.

    I give it another few days of banging my head of the
    keyboard, until I put W2K back on it!

    Event ID: 1006 Source DHCP is the best clue i've found but
    there nowt on Microsoft's site that I can find.

    scuppered-by-dns-errors Guest

  3. #3

    Jon, this copied from another post, does more or less what the Win98 process
    was to fix that error, but this works on 2k and XP as well, with a high
    success rate.

    *Snip*_____________________
    We solve many problems of this type at the Lavasoft forums,
    [url]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showforum=24[/url] This problem can
    happen due to third party LSPs (NewDotNet,CommonName) programs you may have
    installed that you were not aware of, especially if you ever used P2P
    sharing programs.
    If this applies to you, I made a utility that has had a great sucess rate of
    repairing this Internet problem available here
    [url]http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/VB_Projects/WinsockFix.zip[/url]
    as well you can read reviews on it here:
    [url]http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257[/url]
    Perhaps it may work for you as well.
    *End Snip*_____________________

    "Jon Jasper" <jasperfamilies> wrote in message
    > After intalling a 1394 firewire card in my xp machine, IE
    > can no longer connect to the internet. Even after I
    > remove the card and uninstall it from the device manager,
    > IE still cannot connect and only returns the
    > message "cannot find server or DNS error." To get IE to
    > work again, I have to do a system restore (after removing
    > the 1394 card of course.) I've talked with the dsl
    > provider, the system manufacturer, and the 1394 card
    > manufacturer, and checked for conflicts and other
    > settings, uninstalled/reinstalled both LAN and 1394 in all
    > combinations, even tried running "sfc /scannow" to repair
    > IE, but so far no improvement. I also tried a different
    > 1394 card and got the same behavior.
    >
    > The dsl guys were about to ping to my machine and I was
    > able to ping to a numeric IP address, but not to an
    > address spelled out, like .
    >
    > From searching various forums like this I've heard of a
    > similar problem with 98, where uninstalling dial up
    > networking, deleting some items from the registry, and
    > then reinstalling dial up networking fixed the problem.
    > But so far I haven't been able to figure out how to
    > uninstall dial up networking from xp, and I don't know if
    > this is really the problem anyway.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.

    Option^Explicit Guest

  4. #4

    MANY MANY MANY THANKS!!! I have had this problems for
    over a week and this really worked for me. I downloaded
    the fix, unzipped it, ran the fix and my pc is now back
    to accessing the web! :o)

    Thanks Again!

    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    Glad to help :)

    "Bill" <wdf1128> wrote in message
    > MANY MANY MANY THANKS!!! I have had this problems for
    > over a week and this really worked for me. I downloaded
    > the fix, unzipped it, ran the fix and my pc is now back
    > to accessing the web! :o)
    >
    > Thanks Again!

    Option^Explicit Guest