Professional Web Applications Themes

Cannot install Firefox extension for Contribute 4 - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I'm trying out Contribute 4 and right away during installation there's a bomb: The installer tells me: Unavailable Components These components cannot be installed on your systemat the current time Contribute Extension for Mozilla Firefox Version Required: Mozilla Firefox Version 1.0 or later Version Installed: Mozilla Firefox must have been launched at least once The same thing happeneds when, after the original Contribute installation, I tried to use the Add/Remove Programs control panel to Modify the Contribute installation so as to install the Firefox extension. I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.8. Needless to say, I HAVE launched Firefox "at least once", indeed, ...

  1. #1

    Default Cannot install Firefox extension for Contribute 4

    I'm trying out Contribute 4 and right away during installation there's a bomb:
    The installer tells me:

    Unavailable Components
    These components cannot be installed on your systemat the current time
    Contribute Extension for Mozilla Firefox
    Version Required: Mozilla Firefox Version 1.0 or later
    Version Installed: Mozilla Firefox must have been launched at least
    once

    The same thing happeneds when, after the original Contribute installation, I
    tried to use the Add/Remove Programs control panel to Modify the Contribute
    installation so as to install the Firefox extension.

    I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.8. Needless to say, I HAVE launched Firefox "at
    least once", indeed, many, many times.

    What could the problem be and how is it fixed??? :frown;

    murray Guest

  2. #2

    Hi, Murray. I'm having the same problem getting the FireFox extension installed
    in my trial copy. I'm on a Mac using Firefox 1.5.0.6. When I run the installer,
    it refuses to find my copy of FireFox to add the extensio. So, I'm anxiously
    awaiting an answer to your question.

    mnman4476 Guest

  3. #3

    After posting I spoke with Adobe tech support for what is, after all, an
    installation problem. They say there's nothing wrong with their installer:
    they have it running on the same version of Firefox as I'm using, and they have
    had no other such reports.

    They say that Contribute looks in the Window Registry to find where to find
    Firefox, so the only thought they had was that perhaps something was wrong
    about Firefox in the Registry. So their suggestion was to try, first: Remove
    Contribute 4 (by using the Add/Remove Programs control panel, selecting Adobe
    Contribute there, selecting Change, and then Remove; completely uninstall
    Firefox; reinstall Firefox; and finally reinstall Contribute 4.

    They had one other suggestion if that didn't work: to create another
    administrator account and to try installing Firefox there, instead, and then
    Contribute 4.

    Sounds to me like whistling in the dark, and I'm not sure I want to fritter
    away time doing their debugging for them.

    murray Guest

  4. #4

    Murray,
    The reason why the support tech recommended the steps to try installing
    Contribute and Firefox on a different user admin account on your machine is
    because another user may have installed Firefox for you (IT tech) and because
    the 'extensions' folder inside Firefox App has only Read-Only access for the
    users other than the one who has installed Firefox. Another place to check is
    whether Mozilla Firefox is installed in the default location c:\program files\.
    directory.

    If you can confirm that you have admin rights and installed both FF and
    Contribute 4 and it is located in the default directories, just post back.
    I can create a bug in your behalf or you can fill out a bug request directly
    here [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform[/url]

    HangD Guest

  5. #5

    [q]Originally posted by: HangD
    Murray,
    The reason why the support tech recommended the steps to try installing
    Contribute and Firefox on a different user admin account on your machine is
    because another user may have installed Firefox for you (IT tech) and because
    the 'extensions' folder inside Firefox App has only Read-Only access for the
    users other than the one who has installed Firefox. Another place to check is
    whether Mozilla Firefox is installed in the default location c:\program files\.
    directory.

    If you can confirm that you have admin rights and installed both FF and
    Contribute 4 and it is located in the default directories, just post back.
    I can create a bug in your behalf or you can fill out a bug request directly
    here [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform[/url]
    [/q]

    I have admin rights for the account ("Administrator") on which I installed
    both Firefox and Contribute 4. However, neither is in the default location, as
    I NEVER install ANYTHING in C:\Program Files. (This is to make the whole
    system more granular for backup purposes.) All my programs (except
    recalcitrant ones from Microsoft) go into subject-area subdirectories of
    lanother ogical drive.

    And data goes onto yet another logical drive, with most going into a Doents
    directory there (which has been designated as what Windows XP brings up as
    Doents). Under that Doents I have my Firefox profile, inside that, the
    Firefox extensions.

    So I'm certainly suspecting now that Contribute 4, unlike other programs, did
    not attempt to handle non-default installations of Firefox (or possibly even of
    Contribute 4)!

    murray Guest

  6. #6

    HangD --

    If you solve Murray's problem, could you take a look at mine. Similar, but it
    involves installation on a Mac with OS 10.3.9 and Firefox 1.5.0.6. I can't get
    the Contribute 4 installer to recognize my location of Firefox when it goes to
    install the extension. The rest of the installation works, but not this
    extension. Any ideas?

    mnman4476 Guest

  7. #7

    mnman4476 wrote:
    > HangD --
    >
    > If you solve Murray's problem, could you take a look at mine. Similar, but it
    > involves installation on a Mac with OS 10.3.9 and Firefox 1.5.0.6. I can't get
    > the Contribute 4 installer to recognize my location of Firefox when it goes to
    > install the extension. The rest of the installation works, but not this
    > extension. Any ideas?

    On mac, i would say try... Removing the Firefox.app and freshly download
    ing the app... not sure something might have went wrong.
    Arun Kumar M Guest