Professional Web Applications Themes

Cannot keep a browser working - always flash.ocxerrors - Macromedia Flash Player

I too am having this problem. I've noticed it for about 6-9 months now. Macromedia feels that the problem is with the hardware and they suggest that I follow FanLovi's advise and underclock my system. I'm not even going to fake knowing how to do that. I'm at an absolute lose as to what to do. Please, Macromedia, there must be some fix to this continous error. It occurs on every webpage or software program that requires flash....

  1. #1

    Default Re: Cannot keep a browser working - always flash.ocxerrors

    I too am having this problem. I've noticed it for about 6-9 months now.
    Macromedia feels that the problem is with the hardware and they suggest that I
    follow FanLovi's advise and underclock my system. I'm not even going to fake
    knowing how to do that. I'm at an absolute lose as to what to do. Please,
    Macromedia, there must be some fix to this continous error. It occurs on every
    webpage or software program that requires flash.

    sgtg71 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Flash.ocx errors FIXED

    Hi

    I've followed this thread avidly as one of my client's (VIA Chipset)
    machines has exactly the same problem. Flash.ocx error, Explorer
    Crashes, BSOD's (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) and automatic
    reboots/shutdowns. (I have tried all the previous suggestions mentioned
    so far)

    Finally fixed the problem today by installing DirectX 9.0c.

    It seems Flash Player 7 requires some of the advanced graphical support
    offered by this latest patch. To test the fix I have now set-up two
    identical machines on the same chipset (VIA KM400) and successfully
    patched both. Good Luck.

    System Spec:
    Win XP Pro (SP1 and SP2 both tested and working)
    Abit VA-10 KM400 VIA 4in1 Service Pack 4.53
    VIA S3G KM400/KN400 Integrated GFX - Driver: 6.14.10.55 & DirectX 9.0c
    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller - Driver: 6.14.1.3870
    AMD Sempron 2300+
    TwinMos 256MB PC2700 RAM
    Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 40Gb HDD

    DirectX 9.0c Websetup:
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a9b6820-bfbb-4799-9908-d418cdeac197&displaylang=en&Hash=DBBFB6D[/url]

    DirectX 9.0c Full Redistributable Download:
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9226a611-62fe-4f61-aba1-914185249413&displaylang=en&Hash=DBBFB6D[/url]
    VIA Service Pack 4.53:
    [url]http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=136[/url]

    Dirk Gently Guest

  3. #3

    finally ive figured out the problem, came here to find the solution and
    realised im not the only one with the problem.
    wish id never upgraded now, im just waiting for someone to get their finger
    out and fix it. (btw the error also occours on online games)

    caledor Guest

  4. #4

    I still dont see why it couldnt have been changed back to how it was before the problems occured until it was resolved.

    Nightmare..
    barongimpy Guest

  5. #5

    I agree whole heartedly. But its been 3 monthes since we've had any feedback from the problem causers. Anyone else fell left out in the cold?
    caledor Guest

  6. #6

    Just a thought ive had this morning, but has anyone tried running a version of xp for 64bit extended systems? Im laying my hands on a copy tonight, so ill let u know if it works.
    caledor Guest

  7. #7

    Hello,, I have a fix for your issue witht he Flash.OCX and IE error.

    First why it happens:
    WHen you install Windows XP SP2 you are installing a collection of security
    patches.
    This install locks down your current Desktop and the profile of the user
    account you installed SP2 with.

    Now here is the work around. You replace the version 7 Flash.ocx file with a
    version 6 ocx
    Or you can create a new user account on your system, by creating a new user
    account on the system, that will generate a new profile which is not
    restricting the use of the Flash.ocx file.

    **//What is happening here is your profile can not let the flash.ocx version 7
    write to its self so it errors out. I am sure Macromedia will have a fix for
    this sortly....**//

    Or you can search the Microsoft knowledge base for the registry fix to unlock
    your profile. I will repost if I find the Article again.
    For Java/flash coders if you experience this error when you code in the
    -close- button
    Use this code on the parent window and not the Child or framed windows

    (Example: onClick="javascript:window.close(); )
    Do not use (onClick="Javascript:window.close(),("_parent") From a framed or
    child window.)
    Unless you are going to use a dhtml coding tags.

    ASP code for -close- not affected.

    Ghosthunter007 Guest

  8. #8

    Preview Message
    Hello, Ok I have found another why to correct the Flash.ocx error with out
    replacing the flash.ocx (ver 7) with Flash.ocx (ver6)
    You can do a complete profile cleaning.
    Steps:

    Make sure you can view hidden files in your folder options.

    1. Browse to your C:\Doent and Settings\YourProfile\Local Settings\
    You will want to delete all the contents in the following folders once you are
    in Local Settings

    /Temp
    /Temporary Internet
    /Cache

    2. All though not necessary to delete it is a good step to take.
    Browse to C:\Doent and Settings\YourProfile\Application Data\
    Delete this folder and all contents in it.

    /Macromed

    Dont worry this folder will be recreated.

    Final Step.

    Browse to C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flashplayer
    Rename the Flash.ocx to Flash.ocx.7 and delete the swflash.ocx
    Now run the getflash.exe to acquire a new Flash.ocx from the Macromedia
    website
    What you are doing here is installing a clean Flash.ocx (ver.7) file.

    This will correct the error. I have successfully performed these steps on 5
    systems that have experienced the Flash.ocx IE fault error.

    Thank you
    Ghosthunter007

    Ghosthunter007 Guest

  9. #9

    OK, so some time has passed. I bought a new PC, which didn't have the
    flash-crash. Then I really started fiddling with my old one, because we wanted
    to put it in my daughter's room. New memory, new video card, new formatted HD,
    new XP install (with SP2 installed BEFORE I installed Flash). Damn thing
    crashed again. So I tried this: disabled the AC'97 onboard audio in my bios.
    Guess what? No more flash-crash. Only problem now is that the computer
    doesn't have sound (daughter won't be happy). I'm going to try to install
    another sound card when I find one, but I think I've nipped this in the bud. I
    imagine that at least 3 people on this thread should try the same (disable
    AC'97). Let me know what happens.

    drakulich Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks drakulich for that tip. Unfortunately for me, it is not a complete fix.
    Although admitedly my computer is now much more stable, flash is still crashing
    my browser. At least now it's manageable where as before I it wasn't. I
    disabled my AC'97 and installed a spare SB Live! I had. This has dramatically
    reduced how soon / frequency of the crashes, however, I am still crashing.
    drakulich, are you sure you didn't jump the gun on assuming it was completely
    fixed? ;) I did, but that's because I was used to flash crashing so soon after
    hitting a flash site. Now I can on a flash site, or multiple sites for a good
    half hour or so before flash crashes.

    tlowell Guest

  11. #11

    Well, you have a point there. I have not yet installed another soundcard, so
    that might cause errors to begin occurring again. My daughter surfed the
    "Barbie & Friends" website for over an hour last night, which is chock full of
    flash (and used to crash us immediately). We never had a crash. However, I
    will report back once I have installed a PCI soundcard, and let everyone know
    if the good luck holds.

    drakulich Guest

  12. #12

    Still no fix? How long will this go on. Mr. Wolfe and the Macromedia team are
    really dragging their feet on this one. Those of us with older machines deserve
    the same stable applications as those with new machines. How about a fix!

    mfried21 Guest

  13. #13

    I posted the question to Macromedia technical support, and here is the response
    I got. Looks like we won't see this problem fixed until the next release of the
    player, which they won't say when :(. Thank you for contacting Macromedia
    Technical Support. The problem has been escalated to the product team.
    Currently I cannot say whether a fix has been found or not. Nonetheless a fix
    will not be implemented in the Player until a new release is issued. Due to
    restrictions on my NDA clause in my employment contract I cannot mention when
    a new player is being released. The easiest way to know when a Player is
    available simply watch our website here:
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=Shockwave[/url]
    Flash I hope this helps you. Please feel free to contact technical support
    if you have any additional questions.

    tlowell Guest

  14. #14

    Originally posted by: mfried21
    Tried this. Still reboot when I visit any site with Flash content.

    The fix i mentioned above was not for a reboot issue, it is meant to be a work
    around to get IE to work with sites that have Flash.

    I am still working on a complete, fix and should have it posted by months end.

    But looks like there is talk about Macromedia getting bought out by Adobe.....

    Ghosthunter007

    Ghosthunter007 Guest

  15. #15

    Thanks to everyone who has added insight into this issue. I finally got my
    problem fixed and think I have figured out what happened to cause mine.

    I believe my issue resulted from having the flash plugin for IE installed
    before I installed my Macromedia. As an earlier poster stated, the flash.ocx
    was "locked" and wasn't written over when I installed my Macromedia Software.

    To fix the problem, I did follow the posting about cleaning out my user files
    (something I regularly do anyway), but my flash.ocx was still viewed as in use
    and couldn't be deleted or renamed.

    I then tried to remove it manually by doing the following:

    1. Quit Internet Explorer, if it is open.
    2. From the Start menu, choose Search> Files or Folders and search for
    flash.ocx (if you are removing Macromedia Flash Player 6) or swflash.ocx (if
    you are removing Macromedia Flash Player 5 or earlier).

    Note: The name of the ActiveX control changed with version 6 to "flash.ocx".

    3. Note the path to the file. The path is typically:
    C:\Windows\System\Macromed\Flash on Windows 95, 98 or WinME;
    C:\WinNT\System32\Macromed\Flash on Windows NT or 2000;
    C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash on Windows XP.

    If more than one copy of the file is found, note the paths to all copies of
    the file.
    4. Select Start> Run.
    5. In the Open field, enter the following command:

    regsvr32 {path} \ {filename} /u

    Replace {path} with the path to the filename noted from step 3.
    Replace {filename} with the filename noted from step 2.

    For example, if you're uninstalling the Macromedia Flash Player 6 ActiveX
    control on Windows 2000, the path would be:

    regsvr32 C:\WinNT\System32\Macromed\Flash\flash.ocx /u
    6. Click OK. You should get a RegSvr32 dialog box stating that the executable
    succeeded. If it failed, double check the path and file name for your system.
    7. Select Start> Find Files or Folders and enter flash.ocx (if you are
    removing Macromedia Flash Player 6) or swflash.ocx (if you are removing
    Macromedia Flash Player 5).
    8. Right-click on the found file and choose Delete from the context
    (right-click) menu. If more than one copy of the file exists, delete each one.
    9. Search for swflash.inf using Windows Find utility (Start > Find > Files or
    Folders). This file is used during the installation of the Macromedia Flash
    Player ActiveX control.
    10. Right-click on the file and choose Delete.
    11. Restart the machine.

    However, the file was still viewed as being in use. So I just loaded up the
    machine in Safe Mode (F8), and deleted the file (after running the above
    command one more time to be safe). Rebooted. Made sure Macromedia Flash
    worked, then went on the Internet and went to site that required flash and
    downloaded the plugin. And Voila, no more problem.

    Hope this is of some help to any people still experiencing the problem.

    Criptak Guest

  16. #16

    My problem also, but I am not geek enough to even understand what has to be done, just want it to work right - Any new advice
    threatster Guest

  17. #17

    There is an uninstall utility for Flash Player that could simply this process.
    It is found at:

    <[url]http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?event=view&id=KC.tn_1[/url]
    2727&extid=tn_12727&dialogID=8402259>

    /pitbullpup

    pitbullpup Guest

  18. #18

    I've been lazy about reporting back, so sorry for the delay. After disabling
    my onboard audio (AC'97), I had reported the problem had disappeared. Several
    weeks later, I installed a brand new SB card, and alas the problem reoccurred,
    albeit with lesser frequency. Oh well.

    drakulich Guest

  19. #19

    Have not been here for awhile. Got a new computer without the problem. Now my
    daughter is going to college. Broke out the old machine. Came here to see if
    the problem had been fixed. Guess not.
    I am amazed it has taken this long. Someone has to have an answer.
    To refresh: With Flash 7 installed on my Compaq with XP/sp2, all web sites
    with Flash content causes my computer to reboot.
    How about some help

    mfried21 Guest

  20. #20

    I've been having similar problems for about a month. Though I have not
    encountered a total computer crash, I was getting FREQUENT crashes of I.E. 6
    with "flash.ocx" indicated as the problem. I believe I have corrected the
    trouble. I booted in "safe" mode (during power-up sequence on my computer
    this is done by depressing and holding the 'F8' key, though that may vary among
    machines), then deleted the "Macromed" file folder from the Windows System 32
    folder. (Access C: drive, drill down to Windows, then System32 folder). I then
    re-booted back into regular mode, downloaded and re-installed Flash player from
    Macromedia's download page.... now it's working fine.

    Chicago_Internetter Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast