Professional Web Applications Themes

cannot load apm.o - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi and thanks for the help in advance, Recently , I have tried to recompile my custom kernel and everything works fine, except apm.o. Whenever I tried to load this module by insmod, the following error messages will come out and the module failed to load. Using /lib/modules/2.4.21+helpers/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o /lib/modules/2.4.21+helpers/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o: unresolved symbol default_idle /lib/modules/2.4.21+helpers/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o: unresolved symbol machine_real_restart I am using kernel 2.4.21, plus newnet helper patch in this build. Please let me know if you have the same experience and how to make it work. Thanks Bosco...

  1. #1

    Default cannot load apm.o

    Hi and thanks for the help in advance,

    Recently , I have tried to recompile my custom kernel and everything works
    fine, except apm.o. Whenever I tried to load this module by insmod, the
    following error messages will come out and the module failed to load.

    Using /lib/modules/2.4.21+helpers/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o
    /lib/modules/2.4.21+helpers/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o: unresolved symbol
    default_idle
    /lib/modules/2.4.21+helpers/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o: unresolved symbol
    machine_real_restart

    I am using kernel 2.4.21, plus newnet helper patch in this build. Please let
    me know if you have the same experience and how to make it work.

    Thanks
    Bosco

    Bosco Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: cannot load apm.o

    Bosco wrote:

    You are using 'insmod'. Did you try 'modprobe'?
    If that fails try compiling the module directly into the kernel instead
    of as a module.

    --

    Mauriat
    ----------------------------

    Mauriat Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your help.

    Today I have tried install the module by modprobe -v apm and gave the
    following result:

    Using /lib/modules/2.4.21+helpers/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o
    Symbol version prefix ''
    /lib/modules/2.4.21+helpers/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o: unresolved symbol
    default_idle
    /lib/modules/2.4.21+helpers/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o: unresolved symbol
    machine_real_restart
    /lib/modules/2.4.21+helpers/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o: insmod
    /lib/modules/2.4.21+helpers/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.21+helpers/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o: insmod apm failed

    Other than compiling directly into kernel are there any work around for this
    ? Since I would like to know why this happens. Is it a bug in apm.o module ?

    Thanks
    Bosco

    "Mauriat" <usenetNOSPAMmjmwired[dot]net> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    works [/ref]
    symbol [/ref]
    symbol [/ref]
    let

    > You are using 'insmod'. Did you try 'modprobe'?
    > If that fails try compiling the module directly into the kernel instead
    > of as a module.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mauriat
    > ----------------------------
    > Remove 'NOSPAM' to email me.
    >[/ref]

    Bosco Guest

  4. #4

    Bosco <ocn.ne.jp> wrote:

    Well, find out where it is in the code, and then find out why it isn't
    available in your kernel or modules comilations, and then do something
    about it. Whassa problem?

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  5. #5

    "Mauriat" <usenetNOSPAMmjmwired[dot]net> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    symbol [/ref]
    symbol [/ref]
    failed [/ref]
    this [/ref]
    module ?

    > (please don't top post)
    > Well sometimes I find that some modules on some systems just won't load
    > separately, but function 100% correctly when compiled into the kernel.
    > For example: I found this occuring with the button.o and processor.o
    > module for ACPI in 2.4.22 on my Athlon A7M266 system.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Mauriat
    > ----------------------------
    > Remove 'NOSPAM' to email me.
    >[/ref]

    Thanks ! I will try build it into kernel and see if it works ! I have a
    question. What do you turn ON for Power Management support usually ? I put
    Power Management Support, ACPI support, ACPI Bus Manager and System as build
    into kernel only. For the rest of the options like ACPM, I feel that its
    more like for laptop after reading their help, then I build them as modules
    and load them when necessary. Do you turn ON some other options as well

    Thanks
    Bosco

    Bosco Guest

  7. #7

    Bosco wrote:

    > Thanks ! I will try build it into kernel and see if it works ! I have a
    > question. What do you turn ON for Power Management support usually ? I put
    > Power Management Support, ACPI support, ACPI Bus Manager and System as build
    > into kernel only. For the rest of the options like ACPM, I feel that its
    > more like for laptop after reading their help, then I build them as modules
    > and load them when necessary. Do you turn ON some other options as well
    >[/ref]

    All from my experience (Athlon TB, A7M266, RH9, 2.4.22 kernel.org): I
    need to leave APM support in the kernel. If you also enable ACPI and
    your motherboard, cpu and bios support ACPI, the 'dmesg' output will say
    that APM is not being used since it using ACPI instead. It says APCI
    overrides APM. I also disable APIC, but this I've heard may cause probs
    on some systems (P4's included). I need to compile all ACPI modules into
    the kernel. However on my laptop (Athlon XP, RH8, 2.4.20+patches) I find
    that all the ACPI modules work 100% correctly compiled as modules and
    modprobing works correctly.

    Not sure what ACPM is, but I guess I might have it as a module. What I
    did was I used RH's basic athlon.config profile and left most of the APM
    as it was.

    Clearly, when I'm using ACPI, I use the 'acpid' daemon, it is
    recommended to disable the 'apmd' daemon. I've seen the ACPI suspend
    work properly on another athlon system via the pwr button, I have yet to
    reproduce this on mine, once done I will put doentation on the web.

    --

    Mauriat
    ----------------------------

    Mauriat Guest

  8. #8

    > > Thanks ! I will try build it into kernel and see if it works ! I have a
    > > question. What do you turn ON for Power Management support usually ? I[/ref][/ref]
    put [/ref]
    build [/ref]
    modules

    > All from my experience (Athlon TB, A7M266, RH9, 2.4.22 kernel.org): I
    > need to leave APM support in the kernel. If you also enable ACPI and
    > your motherboard, cpu and bios support ACPI, the 'dmesg' output will say
    > that APM is not being used since it using ACPI instead. It says APCI
    > overrides APM. I also disable APIC, but this I've heard may cause probs
    > on some systems (P4's included). I need to compile all ACPI modules into
    > the kernel. However on my laptop (Athlon XP, RH8, 2.4.20+patches) I find
    > that all the ACPI modules work 100% correctly compiled as modules and
    > modprobing works correctly.
    >
    > Not sure what ACPM is, but I guess I might have it as a module. What I
    > did was I used RH's basic athlon.config profile and left most of the APM
    > as it was.
    >
    > Clearly, when I'm using ACPI, I use the 'acpid' daemon, it is
    > recommended to disable the 'apmd' daemon. I've seen the ACPI suspend
    > work properly on another athlon system via the pwr button, I have yet to
    > reproduce this on mine, once done I will put doentation on the web.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mauriat
    > ----------------------------
    > Remove 'NOSPAM' to email me.
    >[/ref]

    Thanks Mauriat !

    From your experience, it sounds like Advanced Power Management BIOS support
    (sorry for my typo as ACPM before) is not really necessary if you already
    complied ACPI into kernel. Probably I will stop loading it by removing it
    from ntsysv. It also sounds like APM is more like for laptop and not for
    desktop as well. Am I correct ?

    Regarding ACPI options, sounds like Button, AC Adapter and Embedded
    Controller options are for laptops only. How about processor ? It says it
    will use ACPI C2 and C3 processors states to save power, what CPUs have this
    features ? I am using intel P2 266.

    Thanks again
    Bosco

    Bosco Guest

  9. #9

    Bosco wrote:
    <snip>

    From what I read APM kernel support is needed for the OS to physically
    turn off the hardware in the last part of the shutdown. However the apmd
    daemon is not needed for this to work.

    You're right, most laptops support APM better, however many laptops do
    support ACPI as well. Some older hardware with no ACPI may work better
    with APM, however I cannot confirm this.

    ACPI compatibility depends on how well the motherboard bios supports it,
    as well the states that the CPU supports. Note: most systems do not
    implement it 100% compliant with the standards. Some implementations
    work much better than others.

    I use the Button. The AC Adapter doesn't do much on the desktop, and I'm
    still not sure for what the Embedded Controller is used. After you have
    ACPI compiled and loaded the 'processor' (either compiled as module or
    compiled into the kernel), 'cd' to the '/proc/acpi' directory.

    [rootmyhost acpi]# ls -la
    total 0
    dr-xr-xr-x 5 root root 0 Oct 2 12:13 .
    dr-xr-xr-x 40 root root 0 Oct 2 08:13 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Oct 2 12:19 alarm
    dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Oct 2 12:19 button
    -r-------- 1 root root 0 Oct 2 12:19 dsdt
    dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Oct 2 12:19 embedded_controller
    -r-------- 1 root root 0 Oct 2 12:13 event
    -r-------- 1 root root 0 Oct 2 12:19 fadt
    -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Oct 2 12:19 info
    dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Oct 2 12:19 power_resource
    dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Oct 2 12:19 processor
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Oct 2 12:19 sleep

    [rootmyhost acpi]# cat info
    version: 20021212
    states: S0 S1 S4 S5

    [rootmyhost acpi]# cat processor/CPU0/info
    processor id: 0
    acpi id: 1
    bus mastering control: no
    power management: yes
    throttling control: yes
    performance management: no
    limit interface: yes

    This is from my P3 500, which is closer to yours than my Athlon. Most of
    the files tell you everything your system supports.

    I haven't played with any P4's or newer P3's, but Athlon XP with
    PowerNow (typically in laptops, but possible in desktops) supports
    throttling which will reduce CPU clock speed to lower frequency to save
    power. Also Athlon and Athlon XP support system suspend. Most of this
    info isn't well doented and gathered mostly from people's testing and
    experience.

    This is all with Kernel 2.4.20 and higher. From what I hear Kernel 2.6
    will provide much better support for ACPI and support more states properly.

    --

    Mauriat
    ----------------------------

    Mauriat Guest

  10. #10

    "Mauriat" <usenetNOSPAMmjmwired[dot]net> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    support [/ref]
    already [/ref]
    it

    > From what I read APM kernel support is needed for the OS to physically
    > turn off the hardware in the last part of the shutdown. However the apmd
    > daemon is not needed for this to work.
    >
    > You're right, most laptops support APM better, however many laptops do
    > support ACPI as well. Some older hardware with no ACPI may work better
    > with APM, however I cannot confirm this.
    > [/ref]
    it [/ref]
    this

    > ACPI compatibility depends on how well the motherboard bios supports it,
    > as well the states that the CPU supports. Note: most systems do not
    > implement it 100% compliant with the standards. Some implementations
    > work much better than others.
    >
    > I use the Button. The AC Adapter doesn't do much on the desktop, and I'm
    > still not sure for what the Embedded Controller is used. After you have
    > ACPI compiled and loaded the 'processor' (either compiled as module or
    > compiled into the kernel), 'cd' to the '/proc/acpi' directory.
    >
    > [rootmyhost acpi]# ls -la
    > total 0
    > dr-xr-xr-x 5 root root 0 Oct 2 12:13 .
    > dr-xr-xr-x 40 root root 0 Oct 2 08:13 ..
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Oct 2 12:19 alarm
    > dr-xr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Oct 2 12:19 button
    > -r-------- 1 root root 0 Oct 2 12:19 dsdt
    > dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Oct 2 12:19[/ref]
    embedded_controller
    properly.

    Thanks Mauriat.

    From your /proc/acpi, It sounds like you have turned on most/all of the
    options for ACPI support. Let me try turn on the rest if the options and see
    what will happen. :-)

    Bosco Guest