Professional Web Applications Themes

Cannot open a file on the different platform - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hello I have a problem opening Illustrator files: sometimes I cannot open saved on PC files on Mac computer, sometimes I cannot open saved on Mac files on PC computer. Both Illustrator versions are 10. It happens not all the time, but quite often. (But every time I save them using the same way using the Illustrator default saving settings). Files always have extensions .ai. The Error messages are different, for example: “the file … is an unknown file format and cannot be opened”, but mostly it says that it cannot open this PDF file (although it was not saved ...

  1. #1

    Default Cannot open a file on the different platform

    Hello
    I have a problem opening Illustrator files: sometimes I cannot open saved on PC files on Mac computer, sometimes I cannot open saved on Mac files on PC computer. Both Illustrator versions are 10. It happens not all the time, but quite often. (But every time I save them using the same way using the Illustrator default saving settings). Files always have extensions .ai. The Error messages are different, for example: “the file … is an unknown file format and cannot be opened”, but mostly it says that it cannot open this PDF file (although it was not saved as PDF), and the error is -39 (if I am not mistaken).
    Sometimes files are converted to PDF by themselves, but it is possible to open them in Illustrator. Many people that I know have the same problems.
    I would very appreciate any help.
    Ellen_Baryshev@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cannot open a file on the different platform

    use same OTF fonts on both platforms
    dont use system ttf and dont "Embed All Fonts (for other applications)"
    Paavels_Gusarovs@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you very much, I will follow your advice and uncheck the “Embed fonts” option. But concerning fonts usage, most of the time I apply Create Outlines command, therefore practically I do not have fonts on those files.
    Ellen_Baryshev@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Ellen,

    Something is causing the files to become corrupt in transit. How are they being transferred?

    Many people that I know have the same problems.

    That has not been my experience. I have been moving Illustrator (and many other cross-platform-compatible graphic files) back and forth between Macs and Win machines for years and have never run into the problems you describe.

    Has the 10.0.3 update been installed on both platforms? (Don't know whether it would make a difference, but it would be a good idea in any event.)

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Harron, thank you for your reply.
    Usually files are transported on Zip discs or USB disks. This is a college with the Macs in the classroom and students have PCs at home. More then half of them have this problem. Also, we have a lab with PCs – the same problem occurs when they work in the lab and try to open the files in the class, and vice versa. When it was earlier version of Illustrator, there were not such problems.
    And no, there were not updates to 10.3. Unfortunately, it does not depends on us (you know, college…)
    Ellen_Baryshev@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Ellen,

    Do you know which operating system(s) the Macs in the classroom are running? Do you know how the Zip and USB media are formatted (as Mac HFS volumes or Win/DOS FAT volumes)? If HFS, which program is being used on the Win machines to enable read/write (Windows machines cannot read from or write to Mac media without third-party help)?

    Sorry if I'm asking inconvenient questions. The point is that you're looking at a file corruption problem, not an Illustrator problem per se. I'm just trying to help you get to the bottom of it.

    Finally, I don't know what, if anything, the 10.0.3 update fixed above and beyond what's mentioned on the update download page. If the solution to your problem depends on the update, I guess we'll never know?

  7. #7

    Harron, I am not sure what to answer you on your first paragraph about the Mac’s OS; I am not very technical person (I just know that it is one of the last, with those nice 3-D buttons). I will be in college on Monday and ask people, and then I will email you. About PCs – I think they have Windows XP.
    About media formatting (again, I don’t really understand your terms, therefore I am not sure that my answer is correct): if you are asking about simple formatting, then we format any Zip disk on PC (for it to work on PC and Mac), and it is written on USB disk that it is for both platforms.
    About corrupted files: do you think that there happen to be so many of them? I mean, almost every student has around 5 out of 10 files corrupted during the semester? (And, actually this is going on in each design class). I think it is too much to be a coincidence. Also, other files, for example Photoshop files, never have problems.
    Thank you very much for your time and help, I will email you after Monday.
    Ellen
    Ellen_Baryshev@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Hi, Harron
    We have Mac OS X 10 in the college. I printed your response and gave it to our technical people; they promised to think about this problem. Somebody told me not to check ¡®embed all fonts¡± check box, so I tried, but it didn¡¯t help either.
    By the way, do you know Director by any chance? I have a similar problem: someone sent me dir movie from Mac, and I cannot shock this movie on my PC, it says some error -50. Although, I can make the projector from it
    Thank you
    Ellen
    Ellen_Baryshev@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Hi, Ellen.

    I'm sorry, but I can't help you on your Director problem.

    You should ask your technical people to install the 10.0.3 update on the Macs and have your students and lab do the same on their Win machines.

    As I said before, I'm not certain this has anything to do with your problem, but it's a relatively easy thing to do, and you should at least start by eliminating it as a possible cause.

    Updates can be downloaded from here: <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/main.html>

    In addition to "sneakernet" transfer (via Zip and USB media), do any of your students transfer IL files as e-mail attachments?

  10. #10

    Yes, they did, still the same result
    Ellen_Baryshev@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Ellen,

    IL files have been known to become corrupt when transmitted as e-mail attachments under certain cirstances. The remedy, which may seem counterintuitive, is to compress the files using an archiving program, such as StuffIt.

  12. #12

    Harron
    Is it for Mac or PC? Because I know only winzip and winrar.
    Ellen
    Ellen_Baryshev@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Ellen,

    Aladdin StuffIt, including the free expander, is available for both Mac and Win platforms. StuffIt will now compress to and expand zip format archives, as well as its "native" sit and sitx formats.

    A Mac user could compress to a zip archive using StuffIt, which could then be opened by a Windows user via any of the popular zip utilities, such as PKZip and WinZip.

  14. #14

    Thank you, Harron, how do you know so much?
    I wish I could attach those files to my message for you to see what is wrong.
    Ellen
    Ellen_Baryshev@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    An old tire that gets kicked around enough eventually picks up some knowledge. (OK. That metaphor ed, but you get the idea.)

    I can't promise anything, but if you have a simple IL file or two that demonstrates the problem, you're welcome to e-mail it to me (preferably compressed/archived as explained previously).

    =-= Harron =-=

    harron {at} hkappleman {dot} com
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    I have no idea about the technical stuff of computer. However, I need to transfer Mac Illustrator 7.0 files to my new PC Illustrator 10.0. What's the best way to do this? Is adding the .ai extension will to the job or I have to export to something else? Please, someone help me please. Please teach me step by step as I'm a dummy to computer.
    PatsyWong@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Patsy,

    Adding the correct file extension should be all you need to do

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Oh, Patsy, of course you are right, and of course I did. It is not too simple, though. The problem is in some computer settings. I spoke with the technical guys, he are trying to fix the problem.
    Thank you for your time
    Ellen
    Ellen_Baryshev@adobeforums.com Guest