Professional Web Applications Themes

Cannot open two accounts on same web site - cookie overlap! - Mac Networking

I am having a little problem. I am a recent convert to the Mac platform from wintel and I have since acquired an Imac for myself and a PowerBook G4 for my wife. We are running OS X 10.2.8 and Safari for browsing. My wife sells on eBay and on her PC she was always able to open two browser windows and log into two different eBay accounts and work with them separately. Now in Safari (and IE for Mac) when she opens the second window and logs into a different eBay account, the first window also seems to be ...

  1. #1

    Default Cannot open two accounts on same web site - cookie overlap!

    I am having a little problem. I am a recent convert to the Mac platform
    from wintel and I have since acquired an Imac for myself and a PowerBook
    G4 for my wife. We are running OS X 10.2.8 and Safari for browsing.

    My wife sells on eBay and on her PC she was always able to open two
    browser windows and log into two different eBay accounts and work with
    them separately. Now in Safari (and IE for Mac) when she opens the
    second window and logs into a different eBay account, the first window
    also seems to be logged into that account as well.

    It seems that Safari is unable to keep two sets of cookies for two
    different windows open at the same time. This is really putting a cramp
    in my wife's eBay throughput to the point where she is back using her PC
    again!

    The other upsetting thing is that IE for the mac doesn't allow this
    either, despite the fact that it works fine under Windows. My wife is
    starting to lose sight of the superiority of the Mac.

    Anyone know how I can get around this - possibly a new version of
    Safari? Panther?

    Thanks for your help in advance.

    -Joshua Wein
    Joshua Guest

  2. #2

    In article <1g3911p.tci1ur1idlpiuN%net>,
    net (Joshua Wein) wrote:

    I've noticed this with Safari as well, and I don't think there's a new
    version of Safari for Panther. I haven't looked into it too closely
    because it's not much of a problem for me, but it sounds like it might
    be worthwhile for you to try one of the other browsers available-- e.g.
    Mozilla, OmniWeb, Internet Explorer, iCab, and probably others.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  3. #3

    In article <1g3911p.tci1ur1idlpiuN%net>, Joshua Wein
    <net> wrote:

    I would say that Windows IE's behavior is broken. Cookies are
    associated with the site, not to individual browser windows! I never
    in a million years would have even thought to try what your wife is
    doing, because it so obviously wouldn't work. That it does work is
    just a complete fluke. It shouldn't.

    Run two different browsers. Camino and Safari are good.

    Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
    This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.
    Jerry Guest

  4. #4

    "Joshua Wein" <net> wrote in message

    Safari is behaving correctly. That this works on IE is truly bizarre, it
    shouldn't.

    If you're going to upgrade to Panther, a quick and dirty way around the
    problem is to create two users, and use fast user switching to switch
    between the two. Each user will have its own set of cookies.

    Alternatively, you could run two different browsers. Try Safari and
    Firebird, or Camino. Both available from http://www.mozilla.org/

    David Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1g3911p.tci1ur1idlpiuN%net>,
    net (Joshua Wein) wrote:

    Open one account in Safari and the other in Mozilla.

    --
    Ron
    Ron Guest