Professional Web Applications Themes

'Cannot read or create the font (font name) error message for Acrobat 9 Pro - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

Hi Im new here so i dont know if this topic has been handled already. First the base info: Im on a iMac G5 running 10.5.4. And Im using Acrobat 9 pro. Im trying to convert Quarkxpress 7.31 eps files to PDFs. The particular font in question is called Blue Melody Ultra Bold. I use Font Book to manage my fonts. I installed it in every font folder i could find hoping that this would solve my problem. Still i get the message and when the file opens all i get a series of dots where the font should be. ...

  1. #1

    Default 'Cannot read or create the font (font name) error message for Acrobat 9 Pro

    Hi Im new here so i dont know if this topic has been handled already.

    First the base info: Im on a iMac G5 running 10.5.4. And Im using Acrobat 9 pro. Im trying to convert Quarkxpress 7.31 eps files to PDFs. The particular font in question is called Blue Melody Ultra Bold. I use Font Book to manage my fonts.

    I installed it in every font folder i could find hoping that this would solve my problem. Still i get the message and when the file opens all i get a series of dots where the font should be. I get the same problem when i port files to work from home. And at work they are using Photoshop CS on Mac G3s.

    Im wondering is the problem with Acrobat or the fact that its Quark 7 giving the fact thats its been horribly buggy? Still Ive read where other people have been having the same problem that arent Quarkxpress files. Can anyone give me a little help?
    dale_dean@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    See if you have the font locations properly set.

    Mike
    Mike Kazlow@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    If by that you mean if i have the font installed in all the right folders then like i said in any Font folder i can find. That includes the HD/System/library/fonts, HD/library/fonts, HD/user name/library/fonts. Is there one that Im missing? Or are you referring to something else?
    dale_dean@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    In Distiller, there is a menu item to point to the location of your fonts.

    Settings->Font Locations.

  5. #5

    If the error is from Acrobat, rather than Distiller (it doesn't sound
    like a Distiller problem), this suggests a problem with the embedded
    font. It DOESN'T mean that the font cannot be found, because it that
    case it is silently substituted.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Funny thing is I've used this font before in the same ad campaign Im doing. Many times. Ive created the files in QXP 7.31, EPS'd them, and then converted them to PDF with one exception..... Ive never used Acrobat. I always created PDFs just using Preview and never had this problem.

    Is there something that i should know?
    dale_dean@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Why not just export to PDF from Quark? I don't understand why you would save as an eps first, then distill. Seems like unnecessary work to me.
    michael_kulpa@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Cuz i dont know if you've been keepin up with whats goin on with Quark 7 but it has problems exporting and reading PDF files. MANY times Quark 7 has quit on me when creating PDFs. And when it does the PDFs are pixelated and very low quality. Visit the Quark forums and its the general consensus that it is better to EPS than PDF. It's more stable. And that I've learned from experience. But thanks for your input.

    Now is there anybody who knows how to remedy this problem? :)
    dale_dean@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Well quark does have problems reading (placing) PDFs but not generally Exporting (creating) them.

    Pixelated and low quality PDFs are usually down to your settings, in particular turn off the OPI XT and uncheck the Distiller option to allow postcript to overwrite Distiller Settings.

    You are confusing subjects, The general consensus on the quark forums that EPS is better than PDF is specifically when talking about placing files into quark picture boxes. No one is saying Save page as EPS and Distill to make a PDF is a good idea. Both Export or printing postscript and Distilling are superior methods.

    Have you cleared your font caches.
    You may want to change from Font Book to something like Linotype Font Explorer X which is free to manage your fonts.

    Short term fix would be to set up a Distiller settings file that includes the location of your troublesome font.
    Glenn McDowall Guest

  10. #10

    Glenn -
    Ok wait. I never said i use the EPS to Distiller as part of my process. Do not confuse what I said. I merely said I have no issues if I use Distiller over Acrobat.

    The consensus on the Quark forums is that creating PDFs is an 'iffy' subject. Yes importing PDFs in Quark is also an issue. Quark cannot even import its own PDFs properly. But i have had less problems exporting to EPS then converting to PDF in Quark. But.... thata is subject of another debate and not the issue. Anyway I'll try your method. Thanx.
    dale_dean@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    "EDIT: hah! Found the problem. Its not Acrobat or Quark"

    What is it?

    I've re-read this topic and am confused, are you dragging your Quark file icon (or quark EPS file) onto the Adobe Acrobat Professional (reader) icon, rather than Distiller.
    Glenn McDowall Guest

  12. #12

    Hi !

    1)

    I know its illustrator, but might this apply here too ?

    "Fonts in an Illustrator EPS graphic print with substituted fonts (10.x, CS)"
    <http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=319337>

    you can emped fonts into the eps

    2) as workaround: convert into outlines, then print

    Good luck ;-) !
    TrialAndError Guest

  13. #13

    Hi guys sorry for taking so long been kinda busy. But the problem was not Quark or Acrobat but it was a licensing issue. Quark couldnt embed the font because of its embedding license. Thats why Acrobat didnt read it cuz obviously it wasnt 'there'.

    But thanx for all your help.
    dale_dean@adobeforums.com Guest