Professional Web Applications Themes

Cannot rsh from linux to aix - Linux / Unix Administration

Hi: I have an application which needs to use rsh to send commands from a Linux box (RHEL3) to an AIX 4.3.3 rs/6000 box. The command just hangs. IE > rsh aixbox date will just sit there, for a long time. The user name, password, and user ID are the same on both boxes. On the AIX box I have a .rhosts file correctly placed, and a hosts.equiv file set up correctly. In fact, as you know, if you type 'rsh' without a command listed, it will try to rlogin you in. This in fact works! IE > rsh aixbox ...

  1. #1

    Default Cannot rsh from linux to aix

    Hi:
    I have an application which needs to use rsh to send commands from a
    Linux box (RHEL3) to an AIX 4.3.3 rs/6000 box.

    The command just hangs.
    IE > rsh aixbox date
    will just sit there, for a long time.

    The user name, password, and user ID are the same on both boxes.
    On the AIX box I have a .rhosts file correctly placed, and a hosts.equiv
    file set up correctly.

    In fact, as you know, if you type 'rsh' without a command listed, it
    will try to rlogin you in. This in fact works!
    IE > rsh aixbox
    will open a rlogin connection, without even asking for a password.

    I suspect that there's something going on with the Linux box, and the
    output from the rsh command isn't being properly greeted upon it's return.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks
    Rich Olver
    Denver

    Rich Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cannot rsh from linux to aix

    In article <com>,
    Rich Olver <net> wrote:

    Usually when there's some sort of delay like this in rsh [insert
    <generic warning about the inherent insecurity of rsh and telnet> here],
    it's usually because the remote system can't resolve the hostname of the
    local system.

    Try the following

    rsh aixbox

    aixbox $ who am i
    aixbox $ exit

    Is the last column of 'who am i' a pure IP address? Then fix this on
    the aixbox in DNS, NIS, LDAP, or the local files. Then try rsh with an
    argument.

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Mike:
    Thanks for your advice.

    When I rlogin to the aixbox, and run 'who am i'. It gives me my name,
    and 'linux box host name'. So it doesn't give an actual IP address.

    Any other thoughts?

    Thanks

    Rich

    "Michael Vilain " wrote:

    > Usually when there's some sort of delay like this in rsh [insert
    > <generic warning about the inherent insecurity of rsh and telnet> here],
    > it's usually because the remote system can't resolve the hostname of the
    > local system.
    >
    > Try the following
    >
    > rsh aixbox
    >
    > aixbox $ who am i
    > aixbox $ exit
    >
    > Is the last column of 'who am i' a pure IP address? Then fix this on
    > the aixbox in DNS, NIS, LDAP, or the local files. Then try rsh with an
    > argument.
    >[/ref]

    Rich Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:52:35 -0600, Rich Olver
    <net> wrote:
    In some current Linux distros, rsh is an alias for ssh. Is ssh installed on
    the AIX box?

    --
    System Events
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com>, Rich Olver wrote:

    Not to mention that you already mentioned that an rsh without a command works,
    so that is a suspect solution...

    Have you tried any other commands besides 'date'? Try 'rsh aixbox /bin/ps' or
    something else with a fully qualified path. You may also want to try
    redirecting stderr to stdout: 'rsh aixbox /bin/ps 2>&1'. If your remote user
    runs (t)csh or bash or some other shell that sources a dot file with rsh (korn
    shell does not), it may be an issue with your dot file(s).
     [/ref][/ref]

    User name and correct .rhosts/hosts.equiv entries are what matters - the
    password is not used and neither is the UID (until AFTER the connection is
    established).

    >> Usually when there's some sort of delay like this in rsh [insert
    >> <generic warning about the inherent insecurity of rsh and telnet> here],
    >> it's usually because the remote system can't resolve the hostname of the
    >> local system.
    >>
    >> Try the following
    >>
    >> rsh aixbox
    >>
    >> aixbox $ who am i
    >> aixbox $ exit
    >>
    >> Is the last column of 'who am i' a pure IP address? Then fix this on
    >> the aixbox in DNS, NIS, LDAP, or the local files. Then try rsh with an
    >> argument.
    >>[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    Kevin
    Kevin Guest

  6. #6

    Rich Olver <net> wrote:

    One option is to turn on all diagnostic flags you have and see if
    you get some information. Look at the man pages for details.

    While the command hangs, try a ps -ef on the AIX machine and see what
    runs there.

    Someone else suggested redirection of stdout end stderr and check for
    dot file problems, both good ideas.

    Yours,
    Laurenz Albe
    Laurenz Guest

  7. #7

    In article <com>,
    Rich Olver <net> wrote:

    rsh without a command uses rlogin, connecting to the rlogind on the
    remote host. rsh with a command uses rsh, connecting to the rshd on the
    remote host. Since rsh without a command works, the remote host must be
    running rlogind. Since rsh with a command does not (apparently timing out
    after 60 seconds?), the remote host probably is not running the rshd
    daemon, or has it configured not to allow your local host to connect.

    Either have the admin on the remote host run the rshd daemon, or
    (preferably) use ssh (with the remote host running sshd).

    --
    Steve

    despammed@duke.edu Guest

  8. #8

    I'd like to thank everyone for all their help.

    The problem has been solved.
    Kerberos was running on my Linux machine, but not on the AIX machine.
    (which is backwards from what I expected when I started going down that
    road.)
    I've turned off kerberos on my Linux box. (Have no fear, all is
    sitting behing a solid firewall.)

    The key command to run was
    which rsh
    (which returned that rsh was running through kerberos)

    Rich

    edu wrote:

    > rsh without a command uses rlogin, connecting to the rlogind on the
    > remote host. rsh with a command uses rsh, connecting to the rshd on the
    > remote host. Since rsh without a command works, the remote host must be
    > running rlogind. Since rsh with a command does not (apparently timing out
    > after 60 seconds?), the remote host probably is not running the rshd
    > daemon, or has it configured not to allow your local host to connect.
    >
    > Either have the admin on the remote host run the rshd daemon, or
    > (preferably) use ssh (with the remote host running sshd).
    >[/ref]

    Rich Guest