Professional Web Applications Themes

Cannot Save as JPG After Using Red Eye Tool - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I'm using PSE2. When I open a pre-existing JPG file and edit it using enhance, clone stamp, etc. then go to SAVE, the program happily gives me the JPG resolution selection and then does the SAVE writing over the previous image. This is what I want. But when I use the red eye brush and then go to SAVE, PSE2 comes up with a SAVE AS dialog box and my options for saving are PSD, TIFF, several otehrs, but not JPG. Please help! I'm sure there's some easy answer but I can't find it, and think I'm going crazy with ...

  1. #1

    Default Cannot Save as JPG After Using Red Eye Tool

    I'm using PSE2. When I open a pre-existing JPG file and edit it using enhance, clone stamp, etc. then go to SAVE, the program happily gives me the JPG resolution selection and then does the SAVE writing over the previous image. This is what I want.

    But when I use the red eye brush and then go to SAVE, PSE2 comes up with a SAVE AS dialog box and my options for saving are PSD, TIFF, several otehrs, but not JPG.

    Please help! I'm sure there's some easy answer but I can't find it, and think I'm going crazy with this problem.

    Thanks much,
    Ken Sills
    Ken Sills Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cannot Save as JPG After Using Red Eye Tool

    That is because the red eye brush turns your background into a layer in order to do its work. Try flattening the image before saving.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  3. #3

    Ken,

    I would call this a bug. Ordinarily this happens when you do something
    that creates a new layer. JPG does not support layers so it pops up the save
    as dialog and wants to save as a copy.

    I did a test and found a work around. If you flatten the image after using
    the red eye brush, it will save just fine.

    In my copy of PSE 2, I do see jpg as an option in the format dropdown menu
    in the Save As dialog.

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Barbara,

    I see we were thinking along the same lines.

    Funny, I hadn't noticed that the red eye tool actually changed the
    background to a layer. I went back and looked and it definitely does!

    Thanks for pointing that out.

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  5. #5

    "Ken Sills" <ksillsalum.mit.edu> wrote in message
    > But when I use the red eye brush and then go to SAVE, PSE2
    > comes up with a SAVE AS dialog box and my options for
    > saving are PSD, TIFF, several otehrs, but not JPG.
    Interesting. Are you using Elements on a Mac or Windows? I'm trying to
    figure out why your copy of Elements, along with that of two other people,
    doesn't work the way the copy I'm using does.

    I'm using Elements 2 on Windows, and when I go to save a file, "JPEG" is
    always an option. If I use it on a doent that has layers, selecting
    "JPEG" automatically *unselects* the "Layers" checkbox in the Save As
    dialog, and selects the "Save as Copy" checkbox. Those two checkboxes are
    then grayed out, so that I can't modify them (as long as I still have "JPEG"
    selected, that is).

    Even with the "Save as Copy" checked, I can save over the original file
    (should I be silly enough to do that :) ) just by doing and editing the
    filename by removing the " copy" from the end.

    All of the above is true when I've used only the red eye tool, or even if I
    explicitly add layers to the image.

    The only thing I can think of is that the Mac version works a little
    differently. But if you're using the Windows version, then I have no idea
    what the difference might be. Very strange.
    > Please help! I'm sure there's some easy answer but I can't find
    > it, and think I'm going crazy with this problem.
    Well, I can certainly understand how the behavior you're seeing would make
    you think you're going crazy. :) Thankfully, it sounds like it's normal,
    at least for some users.

    Pete

    Peter Duniho Guest

  6. #6

    Peter's description is what I see, as well.

    Byron Gale Guest

  7. #7

    Damn Adobe. I saw this answer just after admitting defeat and using Save As on such of some photos taken at a family wedding as I had improved with Red-Eye Removal. The reason it matters is that you lose the correct Date Created in listings. Never mind, I shall know for the next family bash!

    Andrew
    Andrew Turek Guest

  8. #8

    After posting my message in frustration, I did another search in the forums and found the Layer: Flatten Image solution. It solves my problem. Thank you all for your replies. I can understand what PSE2 is doing and why it can't save layers representations as JPG, but this sure could be handled by Adobe more gracefully.

    Thanks again,
    ken
    Ken Sills Guest