Professional Web Applications Themes

Cannot send email using SMTP - ASP.NET General

We have developed a commercial ASP.net application (personal nutrition management and tracking); we want to send smtp email from within it. For our development box, we use WinXP Pro, IIS 5.5, VisualStudio2002, VB as programing language. Our test/development version of the web app as hosted on our "localhost" works fine; our "Default SMTP Virtual Server" is running (per the IIS console). Our simple test page (EmailTest.aspx)is in a separate project, has only a single button and we are trying to use the following code on the EmailTest.aspx.vb: Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click Dim ...

  1. #1

    Default Cannot send email using SMTP

    We have developed a commercial ASP.net application
    (personal nutrition management and tracking); we want to
    send smtp email from within it.

    For our development box, we use WinXP Pro, IIS 5.5,
    VisualStudio2002, VB as programing language. Our
    test/development version of the web app as hosted on
    our "localhost" works fine; our "Default SMTP Virtual
    Server" is running (per the IIS console).

    Our simple test page (EmailTest.aspx)is in a separate
    project, has only a single button and we are trying to
    use the following code on the EmailTest.aspx.vb:

    Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object,
    ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

    Dim OK As New Mail.MailMessage()
    OK.From = "bobjonestoad.net"
    OK.Subject = "Test"
    OK.Body = "Trying To Send Email"
    OK.To = "bobcookbookplus.com"
    Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "localhost"

    Mail.SmtpMail.Send(OK)

    End Sub

    The line Mail.SmtpMail.Send(OK) always throws an
    exception; we always get this error:

    The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The
    server response was: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
    [email]bobcookbookplus.com.com[/email] .

    It does not matter who the recipient is, either. We are
    connected to the internet via DSL. Otherwise, everything
    else related to our stuff seems to work perfectly.

    Have spent way too many man hours researching help files,
    MSDN KnowledgeBase, etc. No luck. I am sure we are
    doing soming wrong, but have no idea what.

    Our only prior experience with email code has been with
    MS Access using VBA. We know this is our mistake, just do
    not know how to help ourselves. Also, the web app is our
    first try using ASP.net, etc. Generally, the app works
    works great!

    Can anyone please help; or provide a good example we can
    follow?

    FYI, our web site is [url]http://www.cookbookplus.com[/url]

    If curious, you can see the app using
    the "CookBookPlusOnTheWeb" link on the home page.

    Or use
    [url]http://www.cookbookplus.com/CookBookPlusOnTheWeb/LogInWeb[/url].
    aspx for a direct link.

    The app is hosted on a Windows Server 2003 system so
    whatever we do must work with IIS 6 when we deploy.

    Thank you.
    Bob Jones
    [email]bobjonestoad.net[/email]
    [email]bobcookbookplus.com[/email]
    4106267564

    Bob Jones Guest

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: Cannot send email using SMTP

    Removed by Administrator
    George Durzi Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Bob Jones Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    "mail.yourSMTPDomainNameHere.com"
    "smtp.yourSMTPDomainNameHere.com"

    or try blank ""

    "Bob Jones" <bobjonestoad.net> wrote in message
    > We have developed a commercial ASP.net application
    > (personal nutrition management and tracking); we want to
    > send smtp email from within it.
    >
    > For our development box, we use WinXP Pro, IIS 5.5,
    > VisualStudio2002, VB as programing language. Our
    > test/development version of the web app as hosted on
    > our "localhost" works fine; our "Default SMTP Virtual
    > Server" is running (per the IIS console).
    >
    > Our simple test page (EmailTest.aspx)is in a separate
    > project, has only a single button and we are trying to
    > use the following code on the EmailTest.aspx.vb:
    >
    > Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object,
    > ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    >
    > Dim OK As New Mail.MailMessage()
    > OK.From = "bobjonestoad.net"
    > OK.Subject = "Test"
    > OK.Body = "Trying To Send Email"
    > OK.To = "bobcookbookplus.com"
    > Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "localhost"
    >
    > Mail.SmtpMail.Send(OK)
    >
    > End Sub
    >
    > The line Mail.SmtpMail.Send(OK) always throws an
    > exception; we always get this error:
    >
    > The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The
    > server response was: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
    > [email]bobcookbookplus.com.com[/email] .
    >
    > It does not matter who the recipient is, either. We are
    > connected to the internet via DSL. Otherwise, everything
    > else related to our stuff seems to work perfectly.
    >
    > Have spent way too many man hours researching help files,
    > MSDN KnowledgeBase, etc. No luck. I am sure we are
    > doing soming wrong, but have no idea what.
    >
    > Our only prior experience with email code has been with
    > MS Access using VBA. We know this is our mistake, just do
    > not know how to help ourselves. Also, the web app is our
    > first try using ASP.net, etc. Generally, the app works
    > works great!
    >
    > Can anyone please help; or provide a good example we can
    > follow?
    >
    > FYI, our web site is [url]http://www.cookbookplus.com[/url]
    >
    > If curious, you can see the app using
    > the "CookBookPlusOnTheWeb" link on the home page.
    >
    > Or use
    > [url]http://www.cookbookplus.com/CookBookPlusOnTheWeb/LogInWeb[/url].
    > aspx for a direct link.
    >
    > The app is hosted on a Windows Server 2003 system so
    > whatever we do must work with IIS 6 when we deploy.
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Bob Jones
    > [email]bobjonestoad.net[/email]
    > [email]bobcookbookplus.com[/email]
    > 4106267564

    MS News \(MS LVP\) Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    George Durzi Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    MS News \(MS LVP\) Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    Using "" generates this error: The "SendUsing"
    configuration value is invalid.

    Using anything other than "localhost" will generate the
    failed to connect...error msg

    Thanks for trying; still at a loss.

    Bob

    Bob Jones Guest