Professional Web Applications Themes

Cannot use cvsup with 5.3-release - FreeBSD

  1. #1

    Default Cannot use cvsup with 5.3-release

    I want to keep my ports up to date. in 5.3-release (i386)

    So I copied a sample ports-supfile and edit as follows (just changed
    my host)

    However I got this message and I cannot figure out what "Release"
    means. In
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html#CVSUP-CONFIG-VERS
    Release is defined as "cvs."

    ====
    su-3.00# cvsup -g -L 2 ports-suprile
    Parsing supfile "ports-supfile"
    Release not specified for collection "host=cvsup.jp.FreeBSD.org"
    ====
    What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks in advance!!

    - -----------------my "ports-supfile"
    # $FreeBSD: src/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile,v 1.32 2004/05/24
    06:23:15 cjc Exp $
    #
    # This file contains all of the "CVSup collections" that make up the
    # FreeBSD-current ports collection.
    #
    # CVSup (CVS Update Protocol) allows you to download the latest CVS
    # tree (or any branch of development therefrom) to your system easily
    # and efficiently (far more so than with sup, which CVSup is aimed
    # at replacing). If you're running CVSup interactively, and are
    # currently using an X display server, you should run CVSup as follows
    # to keep your CVS tree up-to-date:
    #
    # cvsup ports-supfile
    #
    # If not running X, or invoking cvsup from a non-interactive script, then
    # run it as follows:
    #
    # cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile
    #
    # You may wish to change some of the settings in this file to better
    # suit your system:
    #
    host=cvsup.jp.FreeBSD.org
    # This specifies the server host which will supply the
    # file updates. You must change it to one of the CVSup
    # mirror sites listed in the FreeBSD Handbook at
    # http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mirrors.html.
    # You can override this setting on the command line
    # with cvsup's "-h host" option.
    #
    base=/var/db
    # This specifies the root where CVSup will store
    information
    # about the collections you have transferred to your
    system.
    # A setting of "/var/db" will generate this information in
    # /var/db/sup. Even if you are CVSupping a large number of
    # collections, you will be hard pressed to generate more
    than
    # ~1MB of data in this directory. You can override the
    # "base" setting on the command line with cvsup's "-b base"
    # option. This directory must exist in order to run CVSup.
    #
    prefix=/usr
    # This specifies where to place the requested files. A
    # setting of "/usr" will place all of the files requested
    # in "/usr/ports" (e.g., "/usr/ports/devel",
    "/usr/ports/lang").
    # The prefix directory must exist in order to run CVSup.

    # Defaults that apply to all the collections
    #
    # IMPORTANT: Change the next line to use one of the CVSup mirror sites
    # listed at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mirrors.html.
    *default host=cvsup.jp.FreeBSD.org
    *default base=/var/db
    *default prefix=/usr
    *default release=cvs tag=.
    *default delete use-rel-suffix

    src-all

    # If you seem to be limited by CPU rather than network or disk
    bandwidth, try
    # commenting out the following line. (Normally, today's CPUs are fast
    enough
    # that you want to run compression.)
    *default compress

    ## Ports Collection.
    #
    # The easiest way to get the ports tree is to use the "ports-all"
    # mega-collection. It includes all of the individual "ports-*"
    # collections,
    ports-all
    #(after this, all are commented out)
    - -----------------

    - --
    Tetsuji 'Maverick' Rai
    PGP Key fingerprint = 2021 6BF9 CEA3 73DE FF17 B326 F4DA F04E F784 3B85
    gpg fingerprint
    Aviation Jokes: http://www.geocities.com/tetsuji_rai/
    Profile http://maverick.ns1.name/
    http://maverick.IsASecret.com/

    Tetsuji Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cannot use cvsup with 5.3-release

    I ran into a problem like that when I did an upgrade to 5.4-prelease.
    I found for me, that for port updates it seems to look at your release
    level in your options. I went into root and ran sysinstall. I
    selected Options. At the bottom of the left hand column is the option
    Release Name. I changed it to 5.3-RELEASE. I'd probably check there,
    another thing I'll do is try a couple other cvsup sites.

    Todd Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Tetsuji "Maverick" Rai wrote:

    Best regards,
    Chris

    Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral
    or fattening.
    Chris Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Tetsuji "Maverick" Rai wrote:

    Sorry about that last one. Anyways, your ports-supfile should have nothing
    more then this:

    *default host=cvsup3.FreeBSD.org
    *default base=/var/db
    *default prefix=/usr
    *default release=cvs tag=.
    *default delete use-rel-suffix ports-all

    I seen you had something that relates to src. Take that out.

    Best regards,
    Chris

    To know yourself is the ultimate form of aggression.
    Chris Guest

  5. #5

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Chris wrote:

    > Sorry about that last one. Anyways, your ports-supfile should have nothing
    > more then this:
    >
    > *default host=cvsup3.FreeBSD.org
    > *default base=/var/db
    > *default prefix=/usr
    > *default release=cvs tag=.
    > *default delete use-rel-suffix ports-all
    >
    > I seen you had something that relates to src. Take that out.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Chris
    >
    > To know yourself is the ultimate form of aggression.

    Sorry again - properly formated...

  6. #6

    Tetsuji Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Tetsuji "Maverick" Rai wrote:
     [/ref]
    > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html#CVSUP-CONFIG-VERS
    >>
    >> Sorry again - properly formated...
    >>
    >> *default host=cvsup3.FreeBSD.org *default base=/var/db *default
    >> prefix=/usr *default release=cvs tag=. *default delete
    >> use-rel-suffix ports-all
    >>

    >> Best regards, Chris
    >>
    >> To know yourself is the ultimate form of aggression.
    >>[/ref]
    > I removed src-all but getting the same error message "Release not
    > specified for collection"....I seem not to have specified release.
    > But in this ports-supfile, release is set to "cvs"....what's wrong?
    >
    > - --
    > Tetsuji 'Maverick' Rai
    > PGP Key fingerprint = 2021 6BF9 CEA3 73DE FF17 B326 F4DA F04E F784 3B85
    > gpg fingerprint
    > Aviation Jokes: http://www.geocities.com/tetsuji_rai/
    > Profile http://maverick.ns1.name/
    > http://maverick.IsASecret.com/
    >

    >[/ref]

    Does it say:

    release=cvs tag=.

    Read mine again, ensure it's verbatim.

    Best regards,
    Chris

    If an item is advertised as "under $50," you can bet
    it's not $19.95.
    Chris Guest

  8. #8

    Tetsuji "Maverick" Rai wrote:

    I don't think you want "tag=." as the default. That would put you the
    most current sources for the OS, which may have plenty of transient
    issues you don't want to have to deal with.

    I use the following supfile regularly. You can see that I set the
    default tag to RELENG_5_3 which is basically the original release of 5.3
    plus security updates
    (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html).
    I do that because these are servers that I try to keep as stable as
    possible. For a personal system, you may prefer to use RELENG_5 to get
    something more up to date, without being the bleeding edge of CVS
    updates. You can also see that I specify a different tag to grab for
    ports, so that I can get the updates on them.

    *default host=cvsup12.freebsd.org
    *default base=/var/db
    *default prefix=/usr
    *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_3
    *default delete use-rel-suffix
    *default compress
    src-all
    ports-all tag=.

    Good luck,

    Tom
    Tom Guest

  9. #9

    Tetsuji Guest

  10. #10

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Tom Trelvik wrote:

    > I don't think you want "tag=." as the default. That would put you
    > the most current sources for the OS, which may have plenty of transient
    > issues you don't want to have to deal with.
    >
    > I use the following supfile regularly. You can see that I set the
    > default tag to RELENG_5_3 which is basically the original release of 5.3 plus
    > security updates
    > (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html). I
    > do that because these are servers that I try to keep as stable as possible.
    > For a personal system, you may prefer to use RELENG_5 to get something more
    > up to date, without being the bleeding edge of CVS updates. You can also see
    > that I specify a different tag to grab for ports, so that I can get the
    > updates on them.
    >
    > *default host=cvsup12.freebsd.org
    > *default base=/var/db
    > *default prefix=/usr
    > *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_3
    > *default delete use-rel-suffix
    > *default compress
    > src-all
    > ports-all tag=.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >[/ref]

    If I'm not mistaken, he did mention the ports supfile. What I gave him
    (assuming he only wants one supfile for ports, and one for src) is simply
    that.

    It's a very basic, to the point supfile. He needs nothing more then what I
    posted. The above reflects (to me atleast) the makings of a supfile for
    gathering the src tree.

    Perhaps I read him wrong, perhaps I took for granted he only wanted a
    ports supfile. If I'm right, then what I gave him is all he needs. He does
    not need to be muddied with thigs that have zero to do with supping the
    ports tree.

    Best regards,
    Chris

    The night before the english history mid-term, your
    biology instructor will assign 200 pages on planaria.
    Chris Guest

  11. #11

    Chris wrote:

    >> I don't think you want "tag=." as the default. That would put
    >> you the most current sources for the OS, which may have plenty of
    >> transient issues you don't want to have to deal with.
    >>
    >> I use the following supfile regularly. You can see that I set
    >> the default tag to RELENG_5_3 which is basically the original
    >> release of 5.3 plus security updates
    >> (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html).
    >> I do that because these are servers that I try to keep as stable
    >> as possible. For a personal system, you may prefer to use
    >> RELENG_5 to get something more up to date, without being the
    >> bleeding edge of CVS updates. You can also see that I specify a
    >> different tag to grab for ports, so that I can get the updates on
    >> them.
    >>
    >> *default host=cvsup12.freebsd.org *default base=/var/db *default
    >> prefix=/usr *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_3 *default delete
    >> use-rel-suffix *default compress src-all ports-all tag=.
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > If I'm not mistaken, he did mention the ports supfile. What I gave
    > him (assuming he only wants one supfile for ports, and one for src)
    > is simply that.
    >
    > It's a very basic, to the point supfile. He needs nothing more then
    > what I posted. The above reflects (to me atleast) the makings of a
    > supfile for gathering the src tree.
    >
    > Perhaps I read him wrong, perhaps I took for granted he only wanted
    > a ports supfile. If I'm right, then what I gave him is all he
    > needs. He does not need to be muddied with thigs that have zero to
    > do with supping the ports tree.
    >

    > Best regards, Chris
    >
    > The night before the english history mid-term, your biology
    > instructor will assign 200 pages on planaria.
    > "org"
    >[/ref]
    Don't mind, I made independent supfiles for ports and src. It's much
    easier than I expected..I wonder why I coundn't find a solution with
    google.

    - --