Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon 10D going cheap on ebay? - Photography

Heh, didn't even spot that. I wonder if Western Union are aware that simply mentioning their name online brings up associations with Indonesian/European scam artists? -A "Russell Stewart" <adpotdpixelpix.com.au> wrote in message news:begffv$p8t$1austar-news.austar.net.au... > > "Admiral" <kbigpond.net.au> wrote in message > news:NcPOa.115$Uz3.37news-server.bigpond.net.au... > > Four things strike me as odd: > > > > 1: He's registered in USA, not Australia. > > 2: The pre-approved buyers thing. > > 3: The filter he has pictured is way too small for the 28-135 lens (box?) > > he's shown. > > 4: He doesn't mention the lens at all, only ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Canon 10D going cheap on ebay?

    Heh, didn't even spot that.

    I wonder if Western Union are aware that simply mentioning their name online
    brings up associations with Indonesian/European scam artists?

    -A

    "Russell Stewart" <adpotdpixelpix.com.au> wrote in message

    > "Admiral" <kbigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > > Four things strike me as odd:
    > >
    > > 1: He's registered in USA, not Australia.
    > > 2: The pre-approved buyers thing.
    > > 3: The filter he has pictured is way too small for the 28-135 lens
    (box?)
    > > he's shown.
    > > 4: He doesn't mention the lens at all, only shows a photo of the box.
    > >
    > > Proceed with caution.
    >
    > The biggest flag is the way he/she accepts payment.
    >
    > It's a con.... stay away. :-)

    Admiral Guest

  2. #2

    He is from the USofA. So don't forget to add in GST

    "anon" <anon_unohotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:c9ca105a.0307082302.36d67683posting.google.c om...
    > This looks pretty cheap... - Canon 10D for Aus $1599 :

    [url]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2939547653&category=30[/url]
    070
    > not sure how it can be though....
    >
    > Regards,
    > Anon

    David in Perth Guest

  3. #3

    > 3: The filter he has pictured is way too small for the 28-135 lens (box?)
    > he's shown.

    The filter is a 72. Seems the right size to me :)

    David in Perth Guest

  4. #4

    The same guy had a 16k plasma TV there the other day with a buy now price of
    $2800

    he's a crook

    [url]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2939547653&category=30 070[/url]
    > not sure how it can be though....
    >
    > Regards,
    > Anon

    Gavin Cato Guest

  5. #5

    In article <NcPOa.115$Uz3.37news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Admiral" says...

    >3: The filter he has pictured is way too small for the 28-135 lens (box?)
    >he's shown.
    I'll agree with the rest, but the filter is ok at 72mm.

    Andrew Mc Guest

  6. #6

    Is it really?

    I couldn't actually make out the size number on the box, but comparing it
    against the size of the CF box next to it I just thought it was entirely too
    small.

    -A

  7. #7

    Yeah but they are probably for things like $2 items, the clever ones build
    up feedback with crappy cheap items then rip off a few people with large
    amounts.

    news:c9ca105a.0307091238.354acb98posting.google.c om...

    > > The same guy had a 16k plasma TV there the other day with a buy now
    price of
    > > $2800
    > >
    > > he's a crook
    > >

    > > "anon" <anon_unohotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > news:c9ca105a.0307082302.36d67683posting.google.c om...
    > > > This looks pretty cheap... - Canon 10D for Aus $1599 :

    [url]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2939547653&category=30 070[/url]
    > > > not sure how it can be though....
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Anon

    Gavin Cato Guest

  8. #8

    > Yeah but they are probably for things like $2 items, the clever ones build
    > up feedback with crappy cheap items then rip off a few people with large
    > amounts.

    or the hijack other peoples accounts, use the feedback but change the
    payment address etc.

    Russell Stewart Guest

  9. #9

    Gavin Cato wrote:
    > Yeah but they are probably for things like $2 items, the clever ones build
    > up feedback with crappy cheap items then rip off a few people with large
    > amounts.
    and note the payment terms:

    PAYMENT:I accept Wire Transfer via Western Union and Money Gram.I don't accept
    ESCROW,COD or PAYPAL.

    Basically, pay up with no chance of recovering the funds once they're sent. I'd
    avoid this one like the plague.

    ahennell Guest

  10. #10

    Lionel wrote:
    > All of his payment & delivery options scream: "I'm in America!", which
    > is conveniently on the other side of the planet, making it hard for any
    > ers to get at him.
    I prefer US based sellers to those anywhere else (other than Australia). If
    you think it's hard to track down a US seller, try tracking one in Europe or
    Asia!
    > I suppose it's possible that it's stolen
    > property, but I think it's more likely that the 'pre-approved buyers
    > only' thing is so that he can con 10 different people into thinking that
    > he's selling to them only, off Ebay.
    Possibly, but the 'pre-approved buyers' is also used by many valid sellers who
    have been ripped off in the past.
    > That way, he gets a lot more money,
    > doesn't risk his feedback rating, & Ebay will tell any complainers to
    > fsck off.
    yup - seen that a few times, without the 'pre-approved' thing.
    > >Proceed with caution.
    >
    > Better yet, don't go there at all.
    good advice for this one.

    Although, if you can be bothered, contact the seller, see if they'll do
    escrow, and go from there.

    ahennell Guest

  11. #11

    Lionel wrote:
    > He says right in his ad that he won't do escrow. That alone screams
    > *RIPOFF!*, to me.
    Not necessarily, most escrow services are slow, expensive and don't
    handle international transactions with great ease. I for one won't
    engage is escrow transactions when I sell and I advise bidders with
    doubts as to my integrity to bid elsewhere.

    A quick assessment of this sellers feedback should alarm weary potential
    bidders in any case.

    Rob
    Rob Guest

  12. #12

    In article <1aZOa.414$Uz3.197news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Admiral" says...

    >Is it really?
    >
    >I couldn't actually make out the size number on the box, but comparing it
    >against the size of the CF box next to it I just thought it was entirely too
    >small.

    You should be able to make out the 72.0 on the filter (on the enlarged image, at
    least). My CF box was about that size (I seem to remember my CF box being pretty
    big compared to the CF card itself - it had some paper doentation in it).
    BTW, the CF card has a CompUSA sticker on it - another clue it's from the USA.

    Andrew Mc Guest

  13. #13

    Andrew Mc wrote:
    > In article <NcPOa.115$Uz3.37news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "Admiral" says...
    >
    >>3: The filter he has pictured is way too small for the 28-135 lens (box?)
    >>he's shown.
    >

    > I'll agree with the rest, but the filter is ok at 72mm.

    Ive reported it to ebay.
    Looking at the sellers previous items they are all small kids stuff,
    pokermon and teddie bears. Then out of the blue this camera.
    The payment options was the dead giveaway.

    It's a scam.

    Vic

    Vic Guest

  14. #14

    "Admiral" <kbigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:<LvPOa.138$Uz3.51news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
    > Heh, didn't even spot that.
    >
    > I wonder if Western Union are aware that simply mentioning their name online
    > brings up associations with Indonesian/European scam artists?
    >
    > -A

    Or horrible, horrible associations with Bright Ideas on a Saturday
    lunch time and being too hungover to throw a brick through the TV
    screen... :-)

    Cheers,
    Stuart
    Stuart Guest

  15. #15

    On 9 Jul 2003 00:02:10 -0700, [email]anon_unohotmail.com[/email] (anon) wrote:
    > This looks pretty cheap... - Canon 10D for Aus $1599 :
    > [url]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2939547653&category=30 070[/url]
    > not sure how it can be though....
    I can sell you a new 10D for Aus $1500.

    Send me the cash first. ;-)

    A bit more than Guest

  16. #16

    > >This looks pretty cheap... - Canon 10D for Aus $1599 :
    > >[url]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2939547653&category=30 070[/url]
    > >not sure how it can be though
    i emailed the seller , the footer about the email adress says it all really

    I am unble to make a personal check because my wife will do the shipp. I am very busy with work.. Let me know asap if you are agree
    to send the money thoug Western Union.. I have a good solution for you!

    --- "Glen Playford" <ducatiauhotmail.com> wrote:

    >great
    >
    >I have friends in Milano that would be able to pick up
    >
    >is this ok ?
    >
    >thanks

    emails from ebay regarding another scam opportunity

    Hello,

    The recent email sent from this account was the result of an
    unauthorized account takeover. The password was guessed or discovered
    and then used to send email like the message you received.
    Unfortunately, we were not made aware of this activity until after the
    email had been sent. We are now in the process of getting the account
    restored to its true owner.

    Let me suggest a few ways this takeover could have occurred.

    First, if the user had a relatively simple password or password hint
    question it is possible that a third party was able to gain access to
    the account by guessing the password.

    It is also possible that the user could have unknowingly provided his or
    her password to another party. Some eBay members have reported receiving
    messages asking for User IDs and passwords. These messages appear to
    come from eBay Support, but in fact are not. eBay will never ask for
    sensitive information of this nature through email.

    Last, there are a number of computer viruses in circulation that log and
    record keystrokes. It's recommended that computer users keep their virus
    alert software up-to-date, and check their system often for problems. A
    firewall for high-speed Internet users is also highly recommended.

    eBay urges caution when purchasing high-priced items, especially if the
    price seems too good to be true.

    We do not recommend the use of instant cash wire transfer services such
    as Western Union and MoneyGram, and we ask that users decline sending
    payment in cases where these are the only methods of payment offered by
    the seller. Generally, if payment is sent using an instant cash wire
    transfer service and the item is not delivered as promised, no recourse
    is available for recovering funds. In most cases, an escrow service
    should be used when purchasing high dollar value items. More information
    on the benefits and risks of individual payment methods can be found at:

    [url]http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/payment.html[/url]

    Please be aware that eBay discourages all transactions that are
    initiated by parties other than the seller and the winning buyer in a
    completed eBay listing. Sales that take place outside of eBay carry a
    potential fraud risk and are not eligible for eBay services, including
    feedback, contact information requests, and the eBay Fraud Protection
    Program. You can review the services provided through the eBay Fraud
    Protection Program at:

    [url]http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/problems-fraud.html[/url]

    Regards,

    Ian
    eBay SafeHarbor
    Investigations Team
    ______________________________
    eBay
    Your Personal Trading Community (tm)

    Important: eBay will not ask you for sensitive personal information
    (such as your password, credit card and bank account numbers, Social
    Security numbers, etc.) in an email. Learn more account protection tips
    at:

    [url]http://www.pages.ebay.com/help/account_protection.html[/url]

    For our latest announcements, please check:

    [url]http://www2.ebay.com/aw/announce.shtml[/url]

    In order to better serve you, we'd like to occasionally
    request feedback on our service. If you would rather
    not participate, please click on the link below and send
    us an email with the word "REMOVE" in the subject line.
    If that does not work, please send an email to the
    email address below. Your request will be processed
    within 5 days.

    mailto:cssremoveebay.com

    Original Message Follows:
    -------------------------
    From: Johnnie5 [johnnie5ihug.com.au]<br>To: eBay SPAMMED Mail
    JGTYoYF78jEHjJx36Oi8+Q1OJDRSDidP<br>Received: from mx20.sjc.ebay.com
    ([66.135.197.16]) by mc4-f5.law16.hotmail.com with Microsoft
    SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.5600);<br> Sat, 5 Jul 2003 06:14:39 -0700<br>Received:
    from telegraph.sjc.ebay.com (telegraph.sjc.ebay.com [10.6.61.32])<br> by
    mx20.sjc.ebay.com (8.12.3/8.12.3) with SMTP id h65DEUIp004853<br> for
    [ducatiauhotmail.com]; Sat, 5 Jul 2003 06:14:30 -0700<br>Message-Id:
    [200307051314.h65DEUIp004853mx20.sjc.ebay.com]<br>To:
    [email]ducatiauhotmail.com[/email]<br>From: [email]mstempo1[/email]<br>MIME-Version:
    1.0<br>Content-Type: text/plain; cht="ISO-8859-1"<br>Subject:
    Question from eBay Member<br>Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 06:14:39
    PDT<br>Return-Path: [email]mstempo1[/email]<br>X-OriginalArrivalTime: 05 Jul
    2003 13:14:39.0475 (UTC) FILETIME=[63C58430:01C342F7]<br>To member:
    sir,<br>My name is Predescu Elena from Italy and I am a member of e-bay
    like you and<br> I have a proposition for you : Honda CBR 1100 XX.
    you will have a <br>week at the disposition to test it .If you will not
    be pleased of it you will be full refound. <br>The shippment will be
    done via FedEx air-service express<br> and the price for one unit is
    2450EUR.<br>The payment will be done via WESTERN UNION / Money Gram
    services. <br>Reply me if you are interested <br>Wait to see the bike's
    sent by an eBay member via eBay's email forwarding system. <br>If you
    reply to the email, your response will go directly to the member and
    commercial email) and is <br>taking steps to protect members from this
    abuse. In addition, solicitations <br>to buy or sell items outside of
    eBay violate eBay rules and are not covered <br>by services that protect
    members such as feedback, insurance, escrow, and <br>dispute resolution.
    If this is an offer to buy/sell items outside of eBay, <br>please do not
    participate. Enter the following link into your browser to learn more.
    Link: http://pages.ebay.com/help/new/stopping_spam.html<br>

    Johnnie5 Guest

  17. #17

    Thank you all for all the info. and advise about dealing on ebay.
    That's why i still don't really trust dealing on ebay.

    Regards,
    Anon

    "Johnnie5" <ducatiauhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<bekve2$15c$1lust.ihug.co.nz>...

    > > >This looks pretty cheap... - Canon 10D for Aus $1599 :
    > > >[url]http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2939547653&category=30 070[/url]
    > > >not sure how it can be though
    >
    > i emailed the seller , the footer about the email adress says it all really
    >

    > I am unble to make a personal check because my wife will do the shipp. I am very busy with work.. Let me know asap if you are agree
    > to send the money thoug Western Union.. I have a good solution for you!
    >
    > --- "Glen Playford" <ducatiauhotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >great
    > >
    > >I have friends in Milano that would be able to pick up
    > >
    > >is this ok ?
    > >
    > >thanks

    anon Guest

  18. #18

    anon wrote:

    > Thank you all for all the info. and advise about dealing on ebay.
    > That's why i still don't really trust dealing on ebay.
    Don't blame eBay, every potential offer advertised in classifieds, news
    groups, photo trader etc. should be treated with just the same scrutiny.

    Rob
    Rob Guest

  19. #19

    that's one idiot

    the lesson is buyer beware

    there is many a bargain to be had on ebay

    you can get rid of all your unwanted junk
    things that you would just as happen to drop in the garbage bin
    you pick up some good dollars for your troubles

    "anon" <anon_unohotmail.com> wrote in message news:c9ca105a.0307121527.30fe6b63posting.google.c om...
    > Thank you all for all the info. and advise about dealing on ebay.
    > That's why i still don't really trust dealing on ebay.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Anon

    Johnnie5 Guest