Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon 10D v. Nikon D100 - Photography

OK ... with some friendly suggestions its is down to these two cameras Nikon D100 or Canon 10D I have read so much my eyes are sore and it is a blurrrrr!! What I need is some real world photographers (that's you!) that have used these cameras, to say what they like or don't like. I wish I could buy them both and use them side by side. but I cant! The small price difference is not a huge factor. I figure I am spending $2500+ I better get the right damn camera! Seems to me all the specs are ...

  1. #1

    Default Canon 10D v. Nikon D100

    OK ... with some friendly suggestions its is down to these two cameras
    Nikon D100 or Canon 10D

    I have read so much my eyes are sore and it is a blurrrrr!! What I need is
    some real world photographers (that's you!) that have used these cameras, to
    say what they like or don't like. I wish I could buy them both and use them
    side by side. but I cant! The small price difference is not a huge factor. I
    figure I am spending $2500+ I better get the right damn camera! Seems to me
    all the specs are very similar. So, I wonder if this gets down to a
    Ford/Chevy debate or are there true advantages over one or the other??

    I am an old school 35mm guy ... this whole Digital thing is new to me!
    What are the real user differences in these cameras?

    Desperate for wisdom,
    Dan R.

    Dan R Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Canon 10D v. Nikon D100

    it's the age old question... Canon or Nikon? now, it's digital. :)

    if you have new Canon or Nikon lenses... go with that body. but, if you've
    got older lenses, you'll need to start from scratch, building your new
    system.

    I think most people go with the Canon. it's a little cheaper (you can get
    another lens!), the image sensor performs better, and there are more lenses
    available. plus, Canon has the best digital slr on the market, the Canon
    1Ds.

    take a look in rec.photo.digital ... this question gets asked a few times a
    week. I suggest that you goto
    [url]http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp[/url] and choose the two cameras to
    compare. then, view the reviews. very very detailed.

    good luck

    --
    Jerry
    [url]www.whatevah.com[/url] / jerry at whatevah dot com

    "Dan R" <doktterSPAMLESShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > OK ... with some friendly suggestions its is down to these two cameras
    > Nikon D100 or Canon 10D
    >
    > I have read so much my eyes are sore and it is a blurrrrr!! What I need
    is
    > some real world photographers (that's you!) that have used these cameras,
    > say what they like or don't like. I wish I could buy them both and use
    them
    > side by side. but I cant! The small price difference is not a huge factor.
    > figure I am spending $2500+ I better get the right damn camera! Seems to
    me
    > all the specs are very similar. So, I wonder if this gets down to a
    > Ford/Chevy debate or are there true advantages over one or the other??
    >
    > I am an old school 35mm guy ... this whole Digital thing is new to me!
    > What are the real user differences in these cameras?
    >
    > Desperate for wisdom,
    > Dan R.

    Whatevah Guest

  3. #3

    > OK ... with some friendly suggestions its is down to these two cameras
    > Nikon D100 or Canon 10D
    I had the same decision to make a few months back. I had no investment
    in either's lenses. Went with the 10D.

    I had friends in the biz who said something about color problems with
    the Nikon. But what sold me on the Canon was the excellent power
    management, lack of noise at higher ASAs, overall design, etc. Through
    the years Canon has produced some pretty decent equipment (yeah, so has
    Nikon) but in the end it just looked like the Canon was the better way
    to go.

    Heading to Mt. Rainier in a few hours to do some pictorial photography,
    but you can check out some of what I've been doing this summer at:

    [url]http://users.techline.com/randya[/url]
    Randall Ainsworth Guest

  4. #4

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > Heading to Mt. Rainier in a few hours to do some pictorial photography,
    > but you can check out some of what I've been doing this summer at:
    Randall, since you live in Washington, could you tell me good places to
    go to photograph the mountains? I just moved to Lynnwood, and I have
    been going for drives north and south on the I-5. I keep seeing all this
    gorgeous scenery, but I can't stop in the middle of the I-5 to take
    pictures :) I'm sure people would get a bit upset with me. I'm also
    looking for lakes I can photograph. And waterfalls that I don't have to
    walk miles to get to (I have arthritis in my knee, so little walks are
    OK - miles are not possible any longer).

    Thanks.

    Carole Guest

  5. #5

    Jerry, good links and advice. Thanks!

    I have A1 and FD lenses so I am starting from scratch (digitally)
    10D and D100 specs are so similar. It was really helpful reading actual used
    comments.

    Thanks Again,
    Dan R.

    "Whatevah" <whatevahdespammed.com> wrote in message
    > it's the age old question... Canon or Nikon? now, it's digital. :)
    >
    > if you have new Canon or Nikon lenses... go with that body. but, if you've
    > got older lenses, you'll need to start from scratch, building your new
    > system.
    >
    > I think most people go with the Canon. it's a little cheaper (you can get
    > another lens!), the image sensor performs better, and there are more
    lenses
    > available. plus, Canon has the best digital slr on the market, the Canon
    > 1Ds.
    >
    > take a look in rec.photo.digital ... this question gets asked a few times
    > week. I suggest that you goto
    > [url]http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp[/url] and choose the two cameras
    > compare. then, view the reviews. very very detailed.
    >
    > good luck
    >
    > --
    > Jerry
    > [url]www.whatevah.com[/url] / jerry at whatevah dot com
    > (spambait [email]uceftc.gov[/email] )
    >

    > "Dan R" <doktterSPAMLESShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > OK ... with some friendly suggestions its is down to these two cameras
    > > Nikon D100 or Canon 10D
    > >
    > > I have read so much my eyes are sore and it is a blurrrrr!! What I need
    > is
    > > some real world photographers (that's you!) that have used these
    cameras,
    > > say what they like or don't like. I wish I could buy them both and use
    > them
    > > side by side. but I cant! The small price difference is not a huge
    factor.
    > > figure I am spending $2500+ I better get the right damn camera! Seems
    > me
    > > all the specs are very similar. So, I wonder if this gets down to a
    > > Ford/Chevy debate or are there true advantages over one or the other??
    > >
    > > I am an old school 35mm guy ... this whole Digital thing is new to me!
    > > What are the real user differences in these cameras?
    > >
    > > Desperate for wisdom,
    > > Dan R.

    Dan R Guest

  6. #6

    "Dan R" <doktterSPAMLESShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > OK ... with some friendly suggestions its is down to these two cameras
    > Nikon D100 or Canon 10D
    >
    > I have read so much my eyes are sore and it is a blurrrrr!! What I need
    is
    > some real world photographers (that's you!) that have used these cameras,
    > say what they like or don't like. I wish I could buy them both and use
    them
    > side by side. but I cant! The small price difference is not a huge factor.
    > figure I am spending $2500+ I better get the right damn camera! Seems to
    me
    > all the specs are very similar. So, I wonder if this gets down to a
    > Ford/Chevy debate or are there true advantages over one or the other??
    >
    > I am an old school 35mm guy ... this whole Digital thing is new to me!
    > What are the real user differences in these cameras?
    >
    > Desperate for wisdom,
    > Dan R.

    I haven't used the D100 but I know that Canons batteries (BP511) are really
    good. I have the D60 myself and I can shoot at least 500 shots with just one
    battery. You should check out the capacity of the battery/(ies) on Nikon
    D100.

    R. Nilsson

    Robert Nilsson Guest

  7. #7

    > I have A1 and FD lenses so I am starting from scratch (digitally)
    > 10D and D100 specs are so similar.
    Be aware of that the focus ring and zoom ring are moving the opposite
    direction on Nikon lenses compared to Canon lenses.
    --
    Thor Henning Wegener
    [email]thor.henningcybeer.no[/email]

    Thor Henning Wegener Guest

  8. #8

    > Randall, since you live in Washington, could you tell me good places to
    > go to photograph the mountains? I just moved to Lynnwood, and I have
    > been going for drives north and south on the I-5. I keep seeing all this
    > gorgeous scenery, but I can't stop in the middle of the I-5 to take
    > pictures :) I'm sure people would get a bit upset with me. I'm also
    > looking for lakes I can photograph. And waterfalls that I don't have to
    > walk miles to get to (I have arthritis in my knee, so little walks are
    > OK - miles are not possible any longer).
    It was gorgeous at the mountain today (I'm in Aberdeen). To get to
    Mt. Rainier, go south on I5 and you'll see the signs near Tacoma. It's
    a bit of a drive but worth it.
    Closer to me, there's the Olympic Rain Forest. About 2+ hours from
    Lynnwood. You could head up either Stevens or Snoqualmie passes for
    some impressive scenery.
    Randall Ainsworth Guest

  9. #9

    I have used both the canon and the nikon. Sine you are starting from
    scratch I would reccomend the Canon. If you already had Nikon equipment I
    would say the difference is not enough to switch (unless you were willing to
    purchase the 1D).

    "Dan R" <doktterSPAMLESShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > OK ... with some friendly suggestions its is down to these two cameras
    > Nikon D100 or Canon 10D
    >
    > I have read so much my eyes are sore and it is a blurrrrr!! What I need
    is
    > some real world photographers (that's you!) that have used these cameras,
    > say what they like or don't like. I wish I could buy them both and use
    them
    > side by side. but I cant! The small price difference is not a huge factor.
    > figure I am spending $2500+ I better get the right damn camera! Seems to
    me
    > all the specs are very similar. So, I wonder if this gets down to a
    > Ford/Chevy debate or are there true advantages over one or the other??
    >
    > I am an old school 35mm guy ... this whole Digital thing is new to me!
    > What are the real user differences in these cameras?
    >
    > Desperate for wisdom,
    > Dan R.

    Haylett6 Guest

  10. #10

    I struggled with the same question about five months ago...and I chose Nikon
    D100. I had a great camera store close to my home that let me play with
    their house models of both...and I think the Nikon is the best choice.
    What's important to know is that you cannot make a bad choice from
    here...either one will be great. There is something about how the Nikon
    feels in the hand that I liked over the Canon. That is not to say that the
    Canon will feel better for you. Both companies offer great lenses and other
    products. They are both in for the long term, so you don't have to worry
    about not being to get new stuff. And they are comparable in quality. In
    the past, my Canon stuff has given me more problems than my Nikon stuff. I
    tend to think that Nikon is slightly better built for heavy use...and that
    is what I do with it. So I would suggest you simply choose which one feels
    best for you in your hand...because you are going to love either one. Like
    I said, I chose the feel...and in the back of my head I probably also felt
    safer buying a Nikon.
    Deno

    "Dan R" <doktterSPAMLESShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > OK ... with some friendly suggestions its is down to these two cameras
    > Nikon D100 or Canon 10D
    >
    > I have read so much my eyes are sore and it is a blurrrrr!! What I need
    is
    > some real world photographers (that's you!) that have used these cameras,
    > say what they like or don't like. I wish I could buy them both and use
    them
    > side by side. but I cant! The small price difference is not a huge factor.
    > figure I am spending $2500+ I better get the right damn camera! Seems to
    me
    > all the specs are very similar. So, I wonder if this gets down to a
    > Ford/Chevy debate or are there true advantages over one or the other??
    >
    > I am an old school 35mm guy ... this whole Digital thing is new to me!
    > What are the real user differences in these cameras?
    >
    > Desperate for wisdom,
    > Dan R.

    Deno J. Andrews Guest

  11. #11

    I forgot to add that this shot was done with my D100:

    [url]http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1012354[/url]

    The moon was sort of bland...but the color representation was absolutely
    accurate. The Lens was a used Sigma 50-500mm (not my favorite company, but
    this lens is nice). If I would have used the Nikkor lens instead at the
    same mm, it would have been even sharper. This picture is about 50% the
    original 6.1mp size.

    Deno

    "Dan R" <doktterSPAMLESShotmail.com> wrote in message
    > OK ... with some friendly suggestions its is down to these two cameras
    > Nikon D100 or Canon 10D
    >
    > I have read so much my eyes are sore and it is a blurrrrr!! What I need
    is
    > some real world photographers (that's you!) that have used these cameras,
    > say what they like or don't like. I wish I could buy them both and use
    them
    > side by side. but I cant! The small price difference is not a huge factor.
    > figure I am spending $2500+ I better get the right damn camera! Seems to
    me
    > all the specs are very similar. So, I wonder if this gets down to a
    > Ford/Chevy debate or are there true advantages over one or the other??
    >
    > I am an old school 35mm guy ... this whole Digital thing is new to me!
    > What are the real user differences in these cameras?
    >
    > Desperate for wisdom,
    > Dan R.

    Deno J. Andrews Guest

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Bob Ashby Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Carole Guest
    Moderated Post

  14. #14

    I once saw a list of Photographic truths that all the best photographic
    views are marked by no parking or no stopping signs.
    There were quite a few others, I can't remember them all but another was
    that a dropped lens/camera will always seek out a rock to land on

    Perrian Guest