Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon 20D Quirks - Photography

Hey everyone, I recently purchased the Canon 20D.. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it, but I have a few quirks that someone may be able to offer some suggestions for: 1) in low light, it appears Canon's solution on this camera is the fire the internal flash repeatedly to focus. Every person I've ever taken a picture of with this is like "whoa, what the hell was that?". It seems like a really poor way to do this, especially if there are any epileptics in the room. I would think there would be a lamp that just illuminates in low ...

  1. #1

    Default Canon 20D Quirks

    Hey everyone,

    I recently purchased the Canon 20D.. Overall, I'm pretty happy with
    it, but I have a few quirks that someone may be able to offer some
    suggestions for:

    1) in low light, it appears Canon's solution on this camera is the
    fire the internal flash repeatedly to focus. Every person I've ever
    taken a picture of with this is like "whoa, what the hell was that?".
    It seems like a really poor way to do this, especially if there are
    any epileptics in the room. I would think there would be a lamp that
    just illuminates in low light. Anyone know why Canon went this route?

    2) I'm not really sure how the flash exposure lock works. If I
    compose a picture, and shoot it with the flash, close subjects are
    usually n out, and far subjects (more than a few feet) are too
    dim.. I find things work better if I compose on the subject, and press
    the FE-lock button. Reading the manual, it sort of sounds like this
    shoulnt be the case -- you should only have to press the button if you
    want to expose on a different area than you would focus. Can someone
    clarify this for me please?

    Thanks.
    Duane Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Canon 20D Quirks

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Duane Storey) wrote:

    That is the red eye reduction function. Turn it off if it is bothersome. I
    suspect it has NOTHING to do with AF. It's really not necessary due to the
    increased height of the flash as compared to the 10D. I took a whole slew of
    photos using the internal flash WITHOUT the red eye reduction feature and only
    had to retouch a couple of frames - and even then they were barely red.

    :)
    JR
    Jim Guest

  3. #3

    Jim Redelfs wrote:

    > That is the red eye reduction function. Turn it off if it is bothersome. I
    > suspect it has NOTHING to do with AF. It's really not necessary due to the
    > increased height of the flash as compared to the 10D. I took a whole slew of
    > photos using the internal flash WITHOUT the red eye reduction feature and only
    > had to retouch a couple of frames - and even then they were barely red.
    >
    > :)
    > JR[/ref]

    No, it *is* a focus function, and it is the same on my 300D. But, the
    built-in flash is a low-power unit, with limitations re internal heat
    restrictions, and is not intended as a full-time flash accessory.

    A Canon or Sigma flash unit designed for Canon digital cameras - the
    Canon EX series - has a red/infra-red illuminator built-in to the flash
    unit, which dispenses with the multi-flashes by illuminating the scene
    with red light, concentrated where the focus sensors are aiming. If you
    do anything more than occasional flash shots, get a flash unit, a 550EX
    or 580EX, or the cheaper Sigma equivalent.

    Colin
    Colin Guest

  4. #4

    It's just a shame that Canon went with the multi-strobe approach --
    why not just include a cheap AF assist lamp like most other cameras
    have? I fully agree a 550EX is a good option, but it's another $500
    or so in Canada.
    Duane Guest

  5. #5

    Duane Storey wrote:

    I have an EOS 10 film camera, which does have a red focus lamp built-in,
    but it is sizeable, about 3/4 inch square (probably to be able to
    provide the required beam characteristics), and I think the smaller
    bodies on the digital cameras haven't the room for it. It probably also
    s more power from the battery than the multi-flash, and they may eb
    avoiding that because of the already considerable drain of the rest of
    the camera.

    Colin
    Colin Guest

  6. #6

    Duane Storey wrote:

    The flash fire to focus is different to the flash fire to reduce red
    eye. You know that camera can use ISO up to 3200 for low light? I don't
    recall ever having the flash behave the way yours is. Maybe if you read
    up on the custom functions and stop shooting in the green box mode, the
    problem will not be there? Experience is a pain to aquire and a joy to have!

    Doug
    Ryadia Guest

  7. #7

    The canon 20D and the 10D both have exposure problems when shooting
    with flash. This is especially true when using the internal flash but
    still exists to a lesser extent with the 550 EX flash. The real problem
    is that it is also inconsistent and sometimes is good and sometimes
    bad. There have been several posts up here about the flash problems
    with the canon 20D and 10D. A lot of people have gone to shooting their
    flash pictures in manual mode.

    Art Salmons
    Fleeting Images Photography

    Fyimo Guest

  8. #8

    That bad concering that the big adds says that the ettl 2 should be better,
    even when the 580X cost is so high.

    "Fyimo" <netcom.com> wrote in message

    SteveJ Guest

  9. #9

    "Jim Redelfs" <com> a écrit dans le message de

    > That is the red eye reduction function. Turn it off if it is bothersome.[/ref]

    your completly wrong on this. It is the AF assist that the camera is using.
    The 20D already as a little lamp for redeye btw.

    Chuck Guest

  10. #10

    In article <net>, "Chuck" <com>
    wrote:

    Oh, fer pete's sake! You're right and I'm sorry. <blush>

    I just got my camera and took some VERY unflattering photos of myself -
    staring into the lens and enduring the flash. Sure enough, there's a cute,
    little lamp the illuminates for red-eye reduction.

    I need to RTFM a bit more before hittin' the keyboard.

    :)
    JR
    Jim Guest

  11. #11

    hehehe

    "Jim Redelfs" <com> a écrit dans le message de
    <com> [/ref]
    using.

    > Oh, fer pete's sake! You're right and I'm sorry. <blush>
    >
    > I just got my camera and took some VERY unflattering photos of myself -
    > staring into the lens and enduring the flash. Sure enough, there's a[/ref]
    cute,

    Chuck Guest

  12. #12

    "Ryadia" <com> wrote in message

    > The flash fire to focus is different to the flash fire to reduce red eye.
    > You know that camera can use ISO up to 3200 for low light? I don't recall
    > ever having the flash behave the way yours is. Maybe if you read up on the
    > custom functions and stop shooting in the green box mode, the problem will
    > not be there? Experience is a pain to aquire and a joy to have!
    >
    > Doug[/ref]

    I have known it to fire in very low light to assist focus, sometimes when
    FEL is used.

    It does not always do this - I guess it depends on the light level and the
    contrast. If you are not in the basic zones then you have to deliberately
    pop the flash up to make it do this.

    Lester Guest

  13. #13

    Duane Storey <com> wrote:

    The inbuild flash is just an inbuild flash.

    An external flash can (depending on which one you buy) give you
    both much more power w/tilt&swivel and a much nicer AF light.

    A constantly burning lamp of the same peak light power needs more
    power than one just working for 1/10.000 second, an extra AF light
    needs extra space and costs and weights ... but ultimately you'll
    have to ask Canon.

    This probably is because you can either choose to have a black
    background or a n out close subject. There's no way to change
    that with the composition and the inbuild flash, so the automatic
    tries for the unhappy medium.

    Lessen the difference the light from your flash has to travel
    to your subjects, e.g. by moving them closer to the background
    or utilizing bounce flash[1] (that's why you want a tilt&swivel
    flash with more power) etc.

    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/
    should tell you more than you ever wanted to know.

    -Wolfgang

    [1] Yes, you can bounce from glass roofs or dark ceilings
    (beware of strongly coloured ones, though), if your flash
    has enough power.
    Wolfgang Guest