Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon 28-300 L zoom questions - Photography

Hello, I have read about this lens in other forums but still have some questions. Is the lens really sharp, or are the 35mm 1.4( if any available), 50mm 1.4, and 135mm L lens sharper at their respective lengths? Also, is the 5.6 at the long end of the zoom a limiting factor? I am seeing this lens as very expensive but perhaps a replacement for the great lenses within the focal length and the addition of IS, thus making it a bargain, perhaps. With the EF12 II extension tube it might even make a great macro lens. Thanks in ...

  1. #1

    Default Canon 28-300 L zoom questions

    Hello, I have read about this lens in other forums but still have some
    questions. Is the lens really sharp, or are the 35mm 1.4( if any
    available), 50mm 1.4, and 135mm L lens sharper at their respective
    lengths? Also, is the 5.6 at the long end of the zoom a limiting
    factor?

    I am seeing this lens as very expensive but perhaps a replacement for
    the great lenses within the focal length and the addition of IS, thus
    making it a bargain, perhaps. With the EF12 II extension tube it might
    even make a great macro lens.

    Thanks in advance

    Joe

    Joe Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Canon 28-300 L zoom questions

    Joe,

    This is a massive range to cover with one lens successfully. It is L glass &
    as such a great lens for what it is. However, read around the various sites
    for reviews & it's difficult to get away from the consensus that the best
    zoom compromise (at the moment) is the fabulous 70-200 f2.8L IS.

    Reviews of this lens are seldom short of 'superb'. It's not a prime so
    before any 'purist' leaps in saying this or that prime are better - zooms
    are a compromise to gain flexibility of in shot cropping & portability and
    therefore it's trying to get the 'least compromise' versus max performance
    for your money.

    That taken, the 70-200 has a full f2.8 through it's focal range and thus a
    wonderful ability to throw any background beautifully out of focus. However,
    coupled with the IS an f2.8 when fully extended at 200 is giving 2 full
    stops more light (quicker shutter speed, less camera shake) which coupled
    with the IS gyros really makes it possible to grab shots hand-held that
    would previously have required a tripod.

    Also, the f2.8 is vital once you start looking at the issue of
    teleconverters. They will only allow full-autofocus functionality if the
    COMBINED f factor does not exceed f5.6. Therefore, if you start with a lens
    (even of L quality) that is 5.6 at one end of it's focal length then as soon
    as you attach a 1.4x converter you lose autofocus at the long end of it's
    zoom range [pointless].

    Whereas, f2.8 throughout the focal range will allow one to attach not just
    the 1.4x but (if necessary) the 2x teleconverter & still have full autofocus
    throughout the total range of the lens.

    Regards

    DM

    "Joe" <com> wrote in message

    DM Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks DM, I will check out the 70-200, great advice. Thanks much.

    DM wrote:
    glass &
    sites
    best
    so
    zooms
    portability and
    performance
    thus a
    However,
    full
    coupled
    that
    the
    a lens
    as soon
    it's
    just
    autofocus [/ref]
    some [/ref]
    for [/ref]
    thus [/ref]
    might [/ref]

    Joe Guest

  4. #4

    Joe wrote:

    Yes.

    bj286@scn.org Guest

  5. #5

    Joe wrote:
    Also check out the 70-200mm f4. It doesn't have IS but is optically as
    good as the 2.8 version except you lose one stop. If you don't shoot
    low light a lot the lens is excellent and over 1 LB lighter and very
    easy to handle.

    Art

    Fyimo Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Joe,

    A Few links that might help...

    http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/ef_lenses/zoom_lenses/EF70_200mm_f2.8L_IS_USM/
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

    and

    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-28-300mm-f-3.5-5.6-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

    Regards

    DM

    "Joe" <com> wrote in message
    > glass &
    > sites
    > best
    > so
    > zooms
    > portability and
    > performance
    > thus a
    > However,
    > full
    > coupled
    > that
    > the
    > a lens
    > as soon
    > it's
    > just
    > autofocus [/ref]
    > some [/ref]
    > for [/ref]
    > thus [/ref]
    > might [/ref]
    >[/ref]

    DM Guest

  7. #7

    Art,

    You're quite right to point the f4 version out to Joe as it is a good lens.
    Joe, however, mentioned his original post the issue of using a 1.4x extender
    with the 28-300 - raising the 45-420 range (with the 1.6 multiplier) to
    63-672.

    If you couple a 1.4x with the f4 you will still get full autofocus
    functionality (unlike the 28-300) but your effective range would be only be
    157-448.

    However, the f2.8 whilst having the same reach with the 1.4x also allows the
    use if the 2x extender when necessary (still retaining full autofocus
    functionality) but giving an effective reach of 224-640.

    Also, with the 1.4x extender the combined f would only be f4 not f5.6
    rendering the combination far more able to throw the background out of
    focus.

    Regards

    DM

    "Fyimo" <netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Also check out the 70-200mm f4. It doesn't have IS but is optically as
    > good as the 2.8 version except you lose one stop. If you don't shoot
    > low light a lot the lens is excellent and over 1 LB lighter and very
    > easy to handle.
    >
    > Art
    >[/ref]

    DM Guest

  8. #8

    I agree with you comments and I'm sorry I missed that in his original
    post. My experience with the Canon 80-200mm f2.8 L was different. It's
    an awesome lens but was very heavy and therefore seldom used. I sold it
    and bought the f4 and I find I use it a lot more.
    I also don't know what his final use will be but I shoot birds and have
    the 300mm f4 IS ( and canon 1.4X tel converter) and the 400mm f5.6 L
    lens. It would seem unnecessary to own both but I found the 300mm f4
    with the 1.4x conveter combination made the autofocus too slow for
    flying birds. I use both and find lots of situations to use the 300mm
    instead of the 400mm like when I'm in a boat. However, The 400mm f5.6 L
    is an awesome lens I just wish it had IS.

    Art

    Fyimo Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    DM Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    My main lens kit for film was the 20mm f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8 L , 80-200mm
    f2.8 L, 300mm f4 non IS and 100mm f2.8 macro. Since I switched to
    digital and have the 20D it's so easy to turn up the ISO when I need to
    gain an f stop that my lens kit now is the 17-40mm f4, 70-200mm f4,
    300mm f4, 400mm f 5.6, 100mm f2.8 macro, and the 28-135mm IS lens.
    Everyone has their own needs and likes and these meet my needs. What I
    also found interesting was when I shot film was that I rarely ever shot
    with the lens wide open. The funny thing now doing bird photogrsphy is
    I almost always shoot wide open to blurr the background and isolate the
    subject. Our needs and lens requirements change as does our
    photography.

    I agree with your recommendation, the poster just needs to know it's a
    big honken lens and will wear you out with it's weight. By they way,
    the 300mm and 400mm I have also use 77mm filtrers and certainly have
    that wow factor and weight when you are out using them.

    Art

    Fyimo Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks very much to all, the insight is great. My idea was to get a
    world class lens that could be used for portra, macro, and the
    occasional rodeo. With the 1.6 factor of the 20D the length of the lens
    would be about 320mm. Also, the macro would be about 112mm, and with
    the EF12 extension tube, the minimum focus distance might be reduced to
    within 1.5-2 feet. Thus, I would get a world class lens that coudl do
    all this, and with Image Stabilization.

    My options are to get nothing and keep my current 50mm macro, 18-55 kit
    lens, and 135 mm soft focus lens ( great with the EF 25 extension tube
    ).

    My other option was to get the 35mm 1.4 just to have a world class lens
    that everyone agrees is superb, and with the 1.6 multiplier would be a
    great 42mm and perfect for much of what I do. Or, I could get the 135mm
    F2L lens and have a world class lens that could also serve up macro
    duty with the EF 12 extension tube or serve up moderate telephoto at
    about 216 mm. Then I could balance the two with the 50mm F1.4 or 85mm
    F1.8.

    or just get the 70-200 with IS and forget about it and be happy with a
    world class lens, and anything below 70mm use the 50 macro or 18-55, or
    get the 35mm F2 used.

    or just get the 280300 and be ready for anything and always be shooting
    sharp, and not buy another lens. For a while.

    Thanks again, that is what I am looking at.

    Joe Guest

  12. #12

    DM wrote:
    hardly ever
    offset the
    anything) is
    tempting EF
    being
    in the
    great.

    200/2.8, better optical, and lighter than zoom.

    bj286@scn.org Guest

  13. #13

    On 21 Feb 2005 22:07:21 -0800, Joe <com> wrote:

    35 * 1.6 = 56

    Regards,

    --
    Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
    --Josh Micah Marshall

  14. #14

    Joe wrote:
    portra

    I am using 50/1.8 on 300D.

    100/2.8 Macro.

    For tele, 200/2.8 on 300D. Plus a 2x for 400/5.6 effective, 640
    equivalent.

    For macro, the spec of magnification is more meaningful than closest
    focusing.

    kit
    tube

    Good option.

    lens

    28/1.8 is equivalent to 45mm. 24/2.8 is equivalent to 38mm. If you use
    those focal lengths most often, then get one of those.

    bj286@scn.org Guest